Thread: AirVoice sim question

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AirVoice sim question

Folks,

I live in a rural area and found the cell tower near me recently activated AT&T antennas. I've got a couple friends that get a signal from the tower. one is on AT&T and the other has a TracFone. I have an AirVoice sim in my GSM phone, but I don't get a signal? I do have a message that says emergency calls only.

I've tried my sim in two other unlocked GSM phones and get the same message. I also have TruPhone sim that gives the same message.

If I drive up the road to where I get a signal from a different cell tower, my AirVoice sim gets a signal and works. Has anyone else found their AirVoice sim not working with certain towers?

Fort

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Can you choose a network?

Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    I've tried my sim in two other unlocked GSM phones and get the same message. I also have TruPhone sim that gives the same message.
    Does the Truphone SIM work on the second cell tower? Are you able to choose the network on any of the phones?
    What network does it show when you search for a network with the Truphone SIM? The AT&T SIM?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    franzq,

The Truphone sim on the second tower (the one not near my house) works and says AT&T. The tower near my house with the new AT&T antennas seems like it only allows actual AT&T phones, although that doesn't explain my friends TracFone. I can't believe they can filter out an MVNO on the tower antennas?

I know it's not the sim as my AirVoice and my TruPhone sim don't get a signal. And I know it's not the phone because I've tried three different ones AND they are able to get an AT&T signal on a different tower.

Could it be that the tower only has 4g antennas and I don't get a signal because my phones are only 3g?

Fort

Feedback Score
    Is this a basic phone or a smartphone?
    Only reason I ask is because the same thing happened to me with a basic phone from ATT. I could not connect to the tower closest to me but drive down the road and it worked. I was at the highest level of tech support with ATT and even spoke to techs in the field but the issue was never resolved. By the way this was just for data. The phone portion worked just fine on the tower closest to me.
    With a smartphone you may be able to tweak the APN's to get it to work. Maybe.

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 Android One | HTC "10" (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score
    Is the OP's handset radio capable of UMTS/HSPA for 850/1900 MHz? Or is it only capable for GSM/GPRS/EDGE? My understanding is that AT&T is in the process of sunsetting GSM/GPRS/EDGE in certain areas. And for this is the reason their online coverage maps have orange/blue striped regions, no?

Sent from my Android device using HowardForums. Glad to be contract-free since 2010...
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I've tried my AirVoice sim in an unlocked Blackberry 9930, unlocked Blackberry 9650, and an unlocked Samsung T259. I get no reception with my AirVoice sim OR my TruPhone sim at the local tower. If I drive up the road where I'm on a different tower, I get a signal for AirVoice and TruPhone (on AT&T) with any of the phones I've listed. Not sure what is going on with the local tower?

All three phones are world phones/quad band.

Fort

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 Android One | HTC "10" (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I've tried my AirVoice sim in an unlocked Blackberry 9930, unlocked Blackberry 9650, and an unlocked Samsung T259. I get no reception with my AirVoice sim OR my TruPhone sim at the local tower. If I drive up the road where I'm on a different tower, I get a signal for AirVoice and TruPhone (on AT&T) with any of the phones I've listed. Not sure what is going on with the local tower?

All three phones are world phones/quad band.

Fort
    The 3 unlocked phones you mentioned were never originally intended for AT&T service (see http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...5109,4283,3406). Although they all have globally-capable quad-band radios for GSM, notice that they are not capable of connecting to AT&T's faster UMTS (a.k.a. "3G") network on 850/1900 MHz.

Based on your experience with your local tower, it seems that it only services "AT&T 3G" compatible devices. A quick & cheap way to verify might be to purchase or borrow one of the "AT&T 3G" compatible prepaid GoPhones and insert your AirVoice and/or TruPhone SIM, then see if you can connect to your local tower. Some examples:
    - Alcatel 510A = basic T9 bar phone
    - Alcatel 871A = portrait QWERTY keyboard phone
    - LG GS390 Prime = outdated Android touchscreen phone

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by mobileFonPhile; 10-22-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: grammar

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    MobileFonPhile,

That is exactly what I was thinking: Since the AT&T antennas are new, they may not support my older phones. I know they work outside of the tower near my house. I suppose I could by another phone, but I really don't want to spend the money. Thanks for the details!

Fort