Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Republic Wireless, dropped calls and/or maintenance outages

Feedback Score
    Or, how about the Galaxy S3 with LTE on TextNow? Similar to Republic, they offer service starting at about $19 per month, though with only 500mb of data. You can spend more and get more data. All TextNow calls use VOIP whether you use WiFi or the Sprint network. With LTE both services should offer better call quality I would think. The major carriers will all be VoLTE in a few years, though TextNow uses LTE to reach the Internet and then it's VOIP.

Device(s)
    iphone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    He has an ipad. It is wifi only.

He does still need a phone to get a hold of me to pick him up when he is not in wifi, etc....

Honestly, the ipad can be used in the house, but I don't want him taking it with him to events, etc.....I would rather him have a phone.

Most of his friends have a smart phone for carrying around.

Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    I can see RW being appealing for parents, but not so much teens. It's been awhile since I've been a teen, but I'd be more interested in the device, less so the service (especially not talk minutes which can be handled by voip). I'd want an Nexus 7 or iPad (preferably with LTE). My preteen kinfolk have iPods running GV and Talkatone.

Device(s)
    iphone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I will have to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    Or, how about the Galaxy S3 with LTE on TextNow? Similar to Republic, they offer service starting at about $19 per month, though with only 500mb of data. You can spend more and get more data. All TextNow calls use VOIP whether you use WiFi or the Sprint network. With LTE both services should offer better call quality I would think. The major carriers will all be VoLTE in a few years, though TextNow uses LTE to reach the Internet and then it's VOIP.

Feedback Score
    I've had a couple dropped calls with RW, but I have dropped calls with ST, TM, ATT, Sprint and Verizon.
    Call quality is slowly improving on VoIP calls and the Sprint fall back works as well as any Sprint based service in the area.
    Will be nice when and if they get larger and newer phones. They say they are coming but when is anyone's guess.
    The few problems people need to know about are, if you are on a VoIP call, and travel outside of your WiFi connection the call will drop and then the system is supposed to call the person back over cell automatically. They have never figured out the seem less hand off from WiFi to cell.
    If you can remember that and tell your call that you will call them back in a min it works quite well.
    The other thing is RW does not do MMS so picture messaging is out.
    You can get apps that do PM and use them all you want but phone to phone does not work.
    For less than 22.00 a month I am perfectly happy with my service. I use VoIP 99% of the time any way and RW is VoIP most of the time so it fits me
    I guess the last thing is this. Again Sprint is the cell fall back for RW so if Sprint has poor service in your area it probably is not right for you.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Device(s)
    iphone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you.

When you say bigger and better phones, do you mean bigger and better than the Moto X coming out in November?

Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    I've had a couple dropped calls with RW, but I have dropped calls with ST, TM, ATT, Sprint and Verizon.
    Call quality is slowly improving on VoIP calls and the Sprint fall back works as well as any Sprint based service in the area.
    Will be nice when and if they get larger and newer phones. They say they are coming but when is anyone's guess.
    The few problems people need to know about are, if you are on a VoIP call, and travel outside of your WiFi connection the call will drop and then the system is supposed to call the person back over cell automatically. They have never figured out the seem less hand off from WiFi to cell.
    If you can remember that and tell your call that you will call them back in a min it works quite well.
    The other thing is RW does not do MMS so picture messaging is out.
    You can get apps that do PM and use them all you want but phone to phone does not work.
    For less than 22.00 a month I am perfectly happy with my service. I use VoIP 99% of the time any way and RW is VoIP most of the time so it fits me
    I guess the last thing is this. Again Sprint is the cell fall back for RW so if Sprint has poor service in your area it probably is not right for you.

Feedback Score
    Lol probably not. RW has been saying for a while that later this year they are going to have larger more powerful phones to chose from.
    Probably looking at something like the Samsung Galaxy 2. However they did also say that at least one was LTE capable.
    My Moto Defy through RW works fine for now but how sweet would it be to have a bigger better phone and only pay 22.00 for unlimited service.

Last edited by AndroidFoneFan; 10-05-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Device(s)
    iphone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for all this info. I am trying really hard to get all my facts straight before deciding. The dropped calls going from wifi to cell towers would be an issue for me. And then I keep wondering if I will be all that happy with 3g service, bumping me up to the $40 range, which is comparable with other PAYG plans with 4g or LTE and allow me to get a different phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
    Thank you for all this info. I am trying really hard to get all my facts straight before deciding. The dropped calls going from wifi to cell towers would be an issue for me. And then I keep wondering if I will be all that happy with 3g service, bumping me up to the $40 range, which is comparable with other PAYG plans with 4g or LTE and allow me to get a different phone.
    @DawnM I look at it like this. There is a term stating about hardware & software in tech. It's called Mission Critical. Meaning is it good enough for life & death situations. Hospitals, businesses (some) all use hardware & software that passes the Mission Critical testing. In other words it's the best out there. I don't consider I'm a secret agent or my life is on edge. But if the time comes an emergency I don't want to be using RW.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Thank you.

When you say bigger and better phones, do you mean bigger and better than the Moto X coming out in November?

Dawn
    LOL WOW I totally missed that you were saying that RW was coming out with the Moto X in November.
    Couple that with it is only 299.00 and still 22.00 a month for service with tax included. I will be all over that like stink on Limburger cheese.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7-...-unsubsidized/

Ahhhh crap I just saw in the article that the LTE service is 40.00 a month. :-) still on it for sure.
    Last edited by AndroidFoneFan; 10-06-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Feedback Score
    It will be 25/month with the Moto X with 3G
    It will be 40/month with the Moto X if you want LTE

Device(s)
    iphone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Interesting way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    @DawnM I look at it like this. There is a term stating about hardware & software in tech. It's called Mission Critical. Meaning is it good enough for life & death situations. Hospitals, businesses (some) all use hardware & software that passes the Mission Critical testing. In other words it's the best out there. I don't consider I'm a secret agent or my life is on edge. But if the time comes an emergency I don't want to be using RW.

Carrier(s)
    Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thank you.

Dawn
    It has been officially announced on their forums that the MotoX is the "Best" phone of the 3 that are planned for the near future. So the 2 remaining to be announced will fill the "Better" and "Good" slots.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the next scheduled is supposed to be the MotoDVX. A downsized and downgraded version of the MX. Still trying to find out what the third one is. Supposedly the DVX is to be released by the end of October? Who knows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2