Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What foreign language would you want to learn?

Feedback Score

What foreign language would you want to learn?

Do you think learning a third language(or second in case English is your first) is valuable or why bother as pretty much Everyone speaks English nowadays? Which foreign language is most beneficial to learn? If you could learn any language in the world which language would it be?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.4633 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Spanish! It's such a beautiful language and I love Latin culture. It would be nice to speak the language when I visit Mexico or when I eventually get to travel around South America.

I actually bought Rosetta Stone about a year and a half ago, but I haven't disciplined myself to regularly take the lessons. I need to get back into a routine again.

I learned French in high school (basically fluent), but so much time has gone by that I wouldn't even be able to put a sentence together.

Device(s)
    nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE USA
    Feedback Score
    It helps you appreciate other cultures more. Majority of people tend to think that their primary language or english is superior than other languages. Because of this, they make fun of other languages or feel the speaker is weird. Understanding other languages gives you better connection with the people and gives you insight where they are coming from.

I think that just it's better to study the language closest to you language first or the one you really like to learn.

I want to be a polyglot but I need to get back the momentum and start my Rosetta Stone and Duolingo app again...
    Last edited by cloudstrife1ph; 09-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    japanese and or spanish

Feedback Score
    i would like to learn either japanese or welsh because they seem very exotic to me, even though they would be next to useless in terms of practicality.

for practicality, it would be best to learn mandarin/cantonese because china is the next superpower

Feedback Score
    Something ancient, like Hebrew or Greek, but that's probably going to be near useless today unless it's used specifically for academic purposes.

Feedback Score
    Definitely Hindi because i have lot Hindi friends through social sites.

Feedback Score
    Spanish is very useful where I live.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I spent years in German classes. It's been virtually useless. Germans all speak English. The only person I've ever run into with whom German was our only common language was a Spaniard. Later I studied Spanish, which is very handy. I'd like to learn Italian just because so many operas are in Italian and I like Italy so much. Arabic would be nice but then you have to answer, "Which version?". I took a whack at Japanese but the vocabulary had none of the common hooks I've used for learning European languages. So, I gave up. I suppose Chinese would be good but also pretty difficult.

Short answers: Spanish & Italian. Of course, were I Canadian: French.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Of course, were I Canadian: French.
    French is also somewhat useful in certain areas of Louisiana, which used to be a French territory. Outside of that, yeah, it's not very useful in the states. I took French in 2001-2002, and since then in the Houston area I've only encountered about four native French speakers that I know of. There have probably been more that I haven't noticed (Canadians), but I've never seen a French speaker who doesn't also speak English.

Most of the foreign languages I've seen spoken in public have been either Spanish (the majority) or Asian languages like Chinese and Vietnamese.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Definitely French. Already speak some conversational Spanish. Also, I'd like to learn basic sign language, as I fatten interact with deaf patients.

Sent from my iPad

Feedback Score
    French!.. been to Paris and i think it is a beautiful place.. definitely want to go back there sometime soon.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkwyde View Post
    French is also somewhat useful in certain areas of Louisiana, which used to be a French territory. Outside of that, yeah, it's not very useful in the states. I took French in 2001-2002, and since then in the Houston area I've only encountered about four native French speakers that I know of. There have probably been more that I haven't noticed (Canadians), but I've never seen a French speaker who doesn't also speak English.
    An in-law of mine speaks perfect Parisian French. She tells the story of sitting in a family lounge at Ochsner Hospital listening to a Cajun family discussing various things. She could understand much of what they said but found it a very odd version of French. When she chuckled at one of their jokes, they asked if she was Cajun. When she answered in her French, it was like they were speaking two different languages.

The reason I suggested French for Canadians is that some amount of bilingualism is required for most government jobs in Canada.

Feedback Score
    I would love to learn Spanish and Chinese. I had learned Chinese a lot but wanna learn Spanish also..

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    I would want to learn Spanish. I really like couple of things about spain

1. Spanish Language
    2. Spanish Football

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast