Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best basic dumb phones for Page Plus?

Feedback Score

Best basic dumb phones for Page Plus?

I want a basic phone for voice calls and occasional texts. Low cost. Great voice quality. Simple numeric keypad (no qwerty, no touch screen). Long time on standby between charges. No internet. Nothing confusing about the interface. A camera would be nice, but only if getting the pictures/videos off the phone and onto my computer is free and easy. If you have suggestions please post them. Reasons for those suggestions are appreciated too of course!
    Last edited by owkaye; 09-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if it's the best, but we got my mother-in-law a Motorola RAZR v3c to use with PagePlus. I think it was $12 shipped, bought from eBay maybe 3-4 years ago. I assume they are cheaper today. It's still going strong, never a problem. It's just a basic, reliable phone, and she has no problems using it. It's her primary and only phone. This is a woman who does not own a computer, has never sent an email in her life, and still watches a CRT TV. It does have a camera, but I have no idea what it's like to get images off of it.

Only reason I picked that one out is because it was stylish, seems built well (metal housing), cool looking keypad, and mostly because it was iconic; one of the most popular dumb-phones of all time. It was all the rage before the iPhone came along and made smartphones cool. It also has an industry standard mini-USB port which makes finding chargers for car and home super simple, and its popularity means replacement batteries should be available for some time to come.
    Shawn

Feedback Score
    Hi Shawn,

I was actually expecting more than one response after posting this thread, but I guess very few people care about "feature phones" any more. Has the smart phone craze wiped out any interest in simple, basic, functional cell phones?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Feedback Score
    I'm sure any of the older dumb phones will work well with Page Plus. I was very fond of the Motorola's with the industrial housings, they could take a beating. Also, Samsung made a darn nice flip phone but it wasn't as durable as the Motorola's.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    motorola w755 is also a good, rugged dumbphone

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmancine View Post
    motorola w755 is also a good, rugged dumbphone

Sent with the HoFo App
    Agree! I was using the Moto w755 on VZW before I got the iPhone4. IMO the w755 is an updated version of the Razr v3. It also uses a mircoSD to store pictures. I gave my w755 to my mom to use on PPC. She's on the standard $10 every 120 days (super light cellphone user). She loves the phone and service and isn't looking for a change or upgrade. I'm happy i'm only paying $30 a year for her phone service! LoL.

Feedback Score
    I use an old Moto V325 on PPC and it still works fine. I just use it as a back-up phone so it doesn't get heavy use. It does have the older, larger USB style connection so newer micro-USB chargers are out. It has a camera but not hi-res and not so easy to move pics from camera to computer. Not the best dumb phone but it works for me.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    The Motorola E815 has a cult following here on HoFo, and I agree that it's a great old phone. My only complaint is the two-prong charging cable which doesn't always make a good connection to the phone. I agree with the previous posts that any Motorola flip phone, especially the RAZR, would make a good choice.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been using a samsung gusto 2 as a backup device. It's pretty basic, reasonable voice quality and good battery life (1000 mah battery). Can find 'em cheap on ebay and easy to flash to page plus if it doesn't activate ota.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    A good source for a broad range of older VZW feature phones, even just to window shop, is MobileKarma.com. Go to their site, click on Verizon, and set it up to list things the way you'd like (priced low to high, high to low, etc.). Lots of good old favorites there. MobileKarma does a lot of selling on eBay as well, and sometimes improves on the phone price or offers free shipping. These are used phones, of course, in a variety of conditions.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    I was actually expecting more than one response after posting this thread, but I guess very few people care about "feature phones" any more. Has the smart phone craze wiped out any interest in simple, basic, functional cell phones?
    This subject has come up quite a bit, so it's like repeating the same thing over and over again ...

A couple I like are the Motorola Barrage V860 and some of the LG phones, particularly the VX8100 or VX8300 (very close). These phones have very good sound and speakerphones. Some folks like the Samsung Convoy U640 or Convoy 2 U660. But there are so many good, old Verizon flip phones available on eBay, or on Craigslist, or at the 2nd Hand Store, that's it's hard to pin down any particular model. I guess it would probably be better to choose one of the phones that uses a standard USB charger and data cable, but data cables and chargers are not expensive for phones like the VX8100 or VX8300 either.

At any rate, here's an eBay search link "verizon flip" filtered to "cell phones." It'll give you good idea what's out there and what models to look for, even if you don't like eBay. Just double check to make sure they weren't sold as Verizon pre-paid phones.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cell-Phones-...w=verizon+flip
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 Android One | HTC "10" (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score
    It's crucial to avoid any handsets that were sold under the Verizon Prepaid brand. They are identifiable when checking under the battery... one would see a "PP" suffix to the device's model ID number.

Assuming the OP is most interested in voice-centric handsets, consider the following:
    - Motorola W385 (widely regarded to have rock-solid RF performance)
    - Samsung Haven (reputed to excel at voice calls... and nothing else)
    - Motorola W766 Entice (disastrously released with an additional $10/month data requirement as a "3G Multimedia Phone", but supposedly a solid voice-only device)
    - LG VX8370 Clout (Verizon only grudgingly released this iteration of the 8300 series, but it's a well-rounded performer)

Sent from my Android device using HowardForums. Glad to be contract-free since 2010...
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

Device(s)
    LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Casio Ravine, great phone, waterproof, shock proof, good reception and I usually only charge it once or twice a week.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    This subject has come up quite a bit, so it's like repeating the same thing over and over again ...

A couple I like are the Motorola Barrage V860 and some of the LG phones, particularly the VX8100 or VX8300 (very close).
    Agreed. There have been countless threads on this exact same subject. OP should try doing a search and he would find all kinds of suggestions.

However, I heartily agree with rcentros about the vx8300. I've had one first on Verizon postpaid and now on one of my PP lines. Still working great. Great reception, voice clarity, speakerphone, and standby time. And it's built like a tank. I bought it in 2007 and have dropped it countless times with barely a scratch and it's still going strong. Obviously not a strong contender for texting but great for voice.

Device(s)
    LG Volt, LG clamshell,
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus,T-Mo prepaid,Truphone
    Feedback Score
    My favorite is the LG VX-5400: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1192

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast