Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Republic will Make an Announcement on Thursday

Feedback Score

Republic will Make an Announcement on Thursday

New phone is supposed to be a Moto X for $299. In their blog, Republic tries to make a case that newer devices use more data. So, be prepared if there is a higher or even multiple price points.

Device(s)
    Moto Q9M, C290
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    This may be where they get themselves into trouble. If they raise the monthly to $29, they are getting very close to Sprint's own Prepaid brands (Virgin, Boost) so they loose some of their outsider advantage. They will also be getting close to, if not higher than, Ting and Ringplus. Quite a quandry they have on their hands. OTOH, I'd love to see the Moto X for $299.
    -----------------------------------------------
    As always, these comments are IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike82346 View Post
    This may be where they get themselves into trouble. If they raise the monthly to $29, they are getting very close to Sprint's own Prepaid brands (Virgin, Boost) so they loose some of their outsider advantage. They will also be getting close to, if not higher than, Ting and Ringplus. Quite a quandry they have on their hands. OTOH, I'd love to see the Moto X for $299.
    Republic Wireless offers Moto X for $299 off-contract, unlimited data for $25 per month

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/47...t-price-launch

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Republic Wireless today announced that it will soon offer the Motorola Moto X for $299 without a contract. Republic is an MVNO that uses Sprint's network and offers unlimited everything for $19 per month. Republic Wireless uses a combination of cellular data and Wi-Fi to pass VoIP-based calls through the internet rather than through traditional voice networks. The Moto X includes improved voice call quality over Wi-Fi, and makes significant improvements to call hand-offs between Wi-Fi and cellular networks. Republic did not say exactly when the Moto X will go on sale. Republic Wireless also announced that it will be overhauiling its service plans in November. The first plan includes unlimited talk, text, and data on Wi-Fi only for $5 per month. The second includes unlimited talk and text on Wi-Fi and cellular, and unlimited data on Wi-Fi for $10 per month. The third includes unlimited talk, text and data on Wi-Fi, plus 3G cellular for $25 per month. The fourth includes unlimited talk, text and data on Wi-Fi, plus 4G cellular for $40 per month. Once the new plans launch, Republic will continue to offer its original $19 plan only to the Motorola Defy XT.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12938 (I cannot find any direct links to an announcement on RW's site)

Not bad.....good price for the phone, 3g for $25 and 4g for $40.

I hope that they aren't trying to have all the voice be voip like some other new Sprint MVNO's. Their current service doesn't do that so hopefully it isn't an issue going forward.

Feedback Score
    I don't consider RW as a choice for me. Unless these things have changed: must have hi-speed internet & if you're not connecting enough to WiFi your service is terminated.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    iphone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is all interesting.

Sprint is not a great carrier for my area but I have heard they are doing better. I don't have any friends with Sprint or I would invite them over to see if I could get service at my home.

If it works, this would be a great option for my teens for sure. They really would only need the $10/mo plan but would have access to a smartphone.

Dawn

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Now, that's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
    I don't have any friends with Sprint or I would invite them over to see if I could get service at my home.
    Of the tens of thousands of post on HoFo, this is the first time I have seen this means of coverage testing.
    A really good idea.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
    This is all interesting.

Sprint is not a great carrier for my area but I have heard they are doing better. I don't have any friends with Sprint or I would invite them over to see if I could get service at my home.

If it works, this would be a great option for my teens for sure. They really would only need the $10/mo plan but would have access to a smartphone.

Dawn
    They would be on wifi at home, in theory, so coverage in the house wouldn't be an issue. Near your house might be though.

RW supposedly has a 30 day money back period too.

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget that republic will also roam on vzw if you need to. I think ting does as well. Which makes this better than virgin or boost.

Sent with the HoFo App
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    They would be on wifi at home, in theory, so coverage in the house wouldn't be an issue. Near your house might be though.

The roaming is a huge selling point, since Verizon has the best coverage. RW's roaming also includes roaming+data. Unfortunately, they don't allow tethering, and I'm sure they won't allow unlimited/unthrottled 4G, which is what my needs are.

Feedback Score
    Is the roaming confirmed on the new plans with the new phone? Without roaming Sprint is pretty useless around here, though supposedly I do have it at my home according to their coverage map. Has anyone tried Republic in an area where you are roaming, and did it work well?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.33361/31.1448; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    I don't consider RW as a choice for me. Unless these things have changed: must have hi-speed internet & if you're not connecting enough to WiFi your service is terminated.
    this is a wifi based service so roaming is the last thing anyone should worry about. it's not for most people
    Last edited by prepaidmasterz; 09-19-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Device(s)
    iphone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    True, but one problem we were having was that the 2 mile radius around our house was not within Sprint tower range, so I was having to tell people, "Ok, I am going to have to call you back from my home phone (in this case the new cell) in 5 minutes."

It was annoying, particularly when I was in the middle of a conversation.

I have heard they have fixed the issue, but I would like to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post

Device(s)
    iphone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Of the tens of thousands of post on HoFo, this is the first time I have seen this means of coverage testing.
    A really good idea.
    HA! Well, I may have to resort to another way, what were those mentioned?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn View Post
    Don't forget that republic will also roam on vzw if you need to. I think ting does as well. Which makes this better than virgin or boost.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Is that definitely true?

When I last read about RW, they had a larger footprint than Virgin/Boost because they were allowed to use independently owned affiliate sites that weren't VZ but were not technically native coverage. On the other hand, Ting supposedly did have full Sprint roaming. The result, if true, being that RW's map was slightly bigger than VM's but smaller than Ting's.

Maybe that changed or wasn't true at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast