Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: LG Nexus 5 passes FCC with multiple LTE bands

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    This will be one sweet phone to have on AT&T GoPhone when it gets released, probably in November.

Unlocked, no contract, pentaband HSPA+, multiple LTE bands (including those for AT&T, T-mobile, Sprint).

Snapdragon 800, 4.96" full HD 1080p display, but SMALLER overall dimensions than last year's 4.7" 720p Nexus 4.

* Nexus 5, 5": 131.9mm and 68.2mm
    * Nexus 4, 4.7": 133.9mm x 68.7mm

Passed FCC.

Specs below, from the FCC.

Picture from Google video screenshot "accidentally" leaked a couple of days ago.
    Which brings the question to mind, when the N4 gets its KK OS update will it also activate what LTE is available on it?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    Which brings the question to mind, when the N4 gets its KK OS update will it also activate what LTE is available on it?

Not likely. The nexus 4 only supports LTE band 4 -- so you couldn't use it on AT&T in the US, for example. Even if they enabled it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    The rumor is that the phone will be released at the very end of October, possibly the 30th or 31st. From what I recall, this rumor is based off a case manufacturer accidentally releasing information on their Nexus 5 case and when it would go on sale. As for the announcement, there is speculation that Google wants the announcement the day before Apple's press conference (expected to announce new iPads), and Apple has delayed a week.

Another interesting rumor I just found, there is a new rumor that they will not only announce the Nexus 5 but also an LTE version of the Nexus 4. This rumor suggests that the 16 GB Nexus 4 LTE will be $299, a 32 GB version of the Nexus 4 LTE will be $349, the 15 GB Nexus 5 at $399, and a 32 GB Nexus 5 at $449.
    The second rumor, about the re-released nexus 4, is dumb. If you were going to re-release a phone and update the LTE band support it had, you'd also update more within. It doesn't make sense to re-release it at all, in my opinion.

The nexus releases aren't about making a profit on the hardware, they're about control. Price is a huge part of that control -- they aren't interested in milking things. If they were going to release an inexpensive version, it would make more sense to do it based on current-but-less-expensive hardware.

regarding the first part you said: the nexus 5 accessories on amazon are all listed October 31st or early November for their release dates.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I think it is an interesting question; ultimately it will likely depend of if they resubmitted the old Nexus 4 to the FCC to approve the LTE antenna (it wasn't included for testing when it was initially approved). As noted, it would only be band 4, but that is one of the frequencies AT&T uses so you might have limited LTE coverage.

And many people have activated the LTE antenna on their Nexus 4 by flashing one of the older radios. One of the Android versions released on the Nexus 4 had an option to enable the LTE antenna.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigfatj View Post
    Not likely. The nexus 4 only supports LTE band 4 -- so you couldn't use it on AT&T in the US, for example. Even if they enabled it.
    True but I understand it is a TMobile band and it would be usable on that network. Just sayin

Device(s)
    Moto Maxx (XT1225, LG Nexus 5 (LG-D820)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    The second rumor, about the re-released nexus 4, is dumb. If you were going to re-release a phone and update the LTE band support it had, you'd also update more within. It doesn't make sense to re-release it at all, in my opinion.

The nexus releases aren't about making a profit on the hardware, they're about control. Price is a huge part of that control -- they aren't interested in milking things. If they were going to release an inexpensive version, it would make more sense to do it based on current-but-less-expensive hardware.

regarding the first part you said: the nexus 5 accessories on amazon are all listed October 31st or early November for their release dates.
    Agreed, I don't see Google re-releasing old hardware with old specs.

Google only breaks even on these phones, I can't see them going to all that trouble to break even on two separate models. The people who started this rumor don't understand the purpose of the Nexus smartphone program.

Plus it would tie up LG production lines that could be used to make more Nexus 5.

Sounds like someone is just rehashing the Nexus 4 v2 rumors from last May. Click bait articles.

Google looks forward, not backward. And the Nexus 4 cpu and resolution is aging compared to Galsxy S4, Sony Xperia Z, LG G2, and all other phones released recently. If re-released the Nexus 4 would lose horribly in all current benchmark tests. Google would not be pleased with the reviews and they know it.

________
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus I9250

Feedback Score
    I think it is an interesting question; ultimately it will likely depend of if they resubmitted the old Nexus 4 to the FCC to approve the LTE antenna (it wasn't included for testing when it was initially approved). As noted, it would only be band 4, but that is one of the frequencies AT&T uses so you might have limited LTE coverage.

And many people have activated the LTE antenna on their Nexus 4 by flashing one of the older radios. One of the Android versions released on the Nexus 4 had an option to enable the LTE antenna.
    I was under the impression it was TMobile that would work with band 4 and not ATT. But be that as it may, do you know which android version it was that had the LTE control in it?

Feedback Score
    True but I understand it is a TMobile band and it would be usable on that network. Just sayin

Yes, T-mo uses band 4 and actually AT&T does in some cases.

But it would be pretty incomplete LTE support for most users. So you'd have to go in and improve LTE band support (which means more chips, and possibly another antenna for the 700mhz bands).

it really doesn't make sense to do that kind of change without changing more hardware. Why not use newer, lower power chips if you're going to update the hardware so fundamentally anyway?

However, it's a bad update. Google wouldn't re-release the nexus 4 for $299. If they were to release a lower cost phone, it would be $199 I'd bet. Or possibly less.
    Google only breaks even on these phones, I can't see them going to all that trouble to break even on two separate models. The people who started this rumor don't understand the purpose of the Nexus smartphone program.

Plus it would tie up LG production lines that could be used to make more Nexus 5.
    That's a really good point as well. I think we can agree that:

(1) Google care to profit from the hardware: they want to set a benchmark that other manufacturers have to meet in terms of quality and usability, and provide a solid baseline of hardware accessible to as many users as possible.

For google, more users with better experience = more profits, and more long-term profits and flexibility. And more data.

(2) LG needs to profit from the hardware, but most flagship phones have a BOM well under $200. Asus is profiting from the Nexus 7 at $229, and that's with a very high cost JDI-produced screen.

The idea of launching a nexus 5 at $399 is beyond silly. Why? What would be so expensive about it? Certainly not the $28 snapdragon 800 (not a big difference from the Nexus 4's S4 Pro). The screen? No.
    Last edited by thebigfatj; 10-15-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: add reply to ChazzMatt

Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There are some (but few) areas in the USA that AT&T uses band 4 LTE.
    I'm on it right now just outside of OKC on a Galaxy Express which I'm going to replace with the Nexus 5.

As Chazz said, Google hasn't released a Nexus smartphone earlier than November.

It's not too long till November so we just have to wait for it to be released then.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think it is an interesting rumor. On one hand, I agree with you that it doesn't seem to be Google's MO to do more than one version of the Nexus at a time.

On the other hand, an updated version of the Nexus 4 might help explain why they had that "clearance" sale to get rid of their stock of Nexus 4's in September (something else I can't recall Google ever doing). And Apple has never had an issue with tying up multiple production lines with the various iPhone versions; I doubt it is that big of an issue for LG to make two different Google phones. The question to me, if they do come out with two phones (a Nexus 4 and 5), what will that mean for the availability of each phone at launch?

Feedback Score
    I think it is an interesting rumor. On one hand, I agree with you that it doesn't seem to be Google's MO to do more than one version of the Nexus at a time.

On the other hand, an updated version of the Nexus 4 might help explain why they had that "clearance" sale to get rid of their stock of Nexus 4's in September (something else I can't recall Google ever doing). And Apple has never had an issue with tying up multiple production lines with the various iPhone versions; I doubt it is that big of an issue for LG to make two different Google phones. The question to me, if they do come out with two phones (a Nexus 4 and 5), what will that mean for the availability of each phone at launch?
    While it is true that the play store is out of stock. If they have no intention of selling them in the future. Why are the 8 and 16 gig phones still on the sight?
    It would seem like if they had no intention of selling them again that they would remove them from the play store and start promoting the N5.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    While it is true that the play store is out of stock. If they have no intention of selling them in the future. Why are the 8 and 16 gig phones still on the sight?
    It would seem like if they had no intention of selling them again that they would remove them from the play store and start promoting the N5.
    But if they promote the Nexus 5 right now, they would have to release specs, etc. They are waiting to do that at the formal announcement.

They would have to admit the Nexus 5 EXISTS. Right now, except for the "accidental" leaks (employee holding one in a video, technical manual leaked, FCC tests revealed at manufacturer request) Google has not mentioned a word about the Nexus 5. Brilliant PR campaign.

In fact, this whole "Nexus 4 LTE" thing is probably Google's idea of a head fake and and they really plan to release the Nexus 5 (much better specs, smaller case size) at the same price point as the Nexus 4.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Cricket)
    Feedback Score
    Another day, another rumor....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by poison7fl View Post
    There are silly rumors and there are facts.

• The FCC tests of the LG-D820 ("North America" Nexus 5) are a fact,
    • the Bluetooth certifications of the LG-D820 and LG-D821 ("International" Nexus 5) are a fact,
    • the leaked logs are a fact,
    • the leaked LG manual of the LG-D821 is a fact, confirming specs we knew from the logs.
    • the leaked pictures with the Nexus branding are a fact.
    • Even the Nexus 5 name is a fact, showing up in the logs and the leaked manual.

They all corroborate each other very well -- just as credit card purchases at a store will corroborate the store's security camera footage to show someone was at a certain place at a certain time.

Whereas, Google re-releasing the Nexus 4 is just a silly rumor.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by poison7fl View Post
    sooner or later you' ll bite you own tongue. I'll be laughing soon as we prove you're wrong and I have kept a copy of your post stating you're never wrong

Sent from my GT-N5100

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast