Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Tmobile EDGE upgrade?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    The tower has been performing good voicewise. The TMO Engineer called me after the additional T1 was put in service. I saw 10 kB/s down, but that has slowed down since to around 5 kB/s average, but still better than the under 2 kB/s to unusable it was before.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Sounds like they are going to have to either fully utilise their PCS band in that area if they aren't already doing so or bite the bullet and do an upgrade.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan Kudo View Post
    The CEO never said that. His comment about dust bowl was in admiration of Verizon to go out and build LTE to cover those areas that are referred to as "dust bowl" because they never fully recovered economically after the Great Depression. Knowing some history and context would help to clear up those misconceptions.
    The direct quote is: "The way they cover those Dust Bowl states with LTE I think is admirable."

No one, in national media, local media in those states, blogging press, or technology or cellphone trade press, saw that remark as a compliment. Rationalization is a very fine art.
    Last edited by ggore; 08-15-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We gave up on T-Mobile here in our rural area, at our place in Redwood Valley I have HSPA+ w/EB from AT&T, LTE from Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Metro PCS, but only EDGE from T-Mobile, so either T-Mobile doesn't care that they are 1-2 generations behind the other guys, or they are too busy buying flashy clothes and Guess watches for big John. In our RSA (344), they did put up one 3G site earlier this year, in Fort Bragg, and those who have used it say it's single channel and slow, why they did Fort Bragg before Ukiah or Clearlake is beyond me. They put up a tiny bit of 3G 150 miles north of us in Eureka too, again, slow and single channel, it seems they just don't care about NW CA, outside of Sonoma, Marin and Napa Counties anyway.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Seems like tmo doesn't mind having lots of edge. They have great network engineers but they can only do what the higher ups approve and getting rid of edge for some reason seems to be of low priority. Tmo is on the upswing so hopefully the momentum will continue.
    Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Edge? What Edge?? The country ins blanketed in GPRS! I'd be excited if they just got the country upgraded to Edge!!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    Sounds like they are going to have to either fully utilise their PCS band in that area if they aren't already doing so or bite the bullet and do an upgrade.
    How will they fully utilize their PCS band? Add more 2G/GSM channels for the site in question? A full T-1 is only 1.554 mb/sec. Just enough to handle GPRS/EDGE and 2G voice. At least in my experience, one of the biggest giveaways that either T-Mobile or even AT&T will upgrade their sites to HSPA+ on an existing site is when your EDGE speeds go way up, near the speed of 236 kb/s.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Expect a very slow transition from rural 2G to rural 3G on T-Mobile USA. The money is in upgrading the larger urban areas first, then the smaller urban areas (where I live), and then maybe all the old 2G sites, especially if T-Mobile gets lower frequency spectrum and/or uses a network sharing agreement with someone else.

Life is full of compromises. Verizon offers much better/faster rural data, but at a significantly higher price than T-Mobile. We pay $100/month for 5 lines on T-Mobile, all with various data plans and basically UL Talk&Text, so I can put up with slow data in rural areas at such prices. For consumers in large urban markets with good 3G/4G coverage, there are probably few downsides to using T-Mobile instead of Verizon. For rural users temporarily staying in a new city, using a pre-paid T-Mobile hotspot is the best deal going with Wal-Mart selling 3.5 GB for $35 with a 60 day expiration. Why the hostility towards T-Mobile when they are clearly driving down prices and increasing choices for all consumers?

There are ways around slow data connections and/or old hardware. I use Opera Mobile/Mini with it's low bandwidth friendly options on my 2009 or 2010 class smart phones when on Edge, GPRS, and even faster 3G/4G networks. Other apps. like Google Navigation and Maps also work fine on 2G. My 2004 Dell notebook opens modern websites quickly if I turn off javascript and flash until I absolutely need them for a specific purpose. It does take some tinkering to to make it work and some bloated, constantly connected, "spy on you" type apps will probably will never work on 2G.

Not to pick on the advanced users on this forum, but computer literacy seems to be falling with the advent of "dumbed down" smart phones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N900Fan View Post
    Why the hostility towards T-Mobile when they are clearly driving down prices and increasing choices for all consumers?
    These are corporations, are we supposed to worry about offending them or something?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I suppose if a poster spent as much time chastising AT&T or Verizon for their high rates and lack of choices, then I might consider it a balanced approach. Otherwise, all of this is just drama, or possibly worse.

If anyone on here is getting a nickel a post directly or indirectly from Verizon or ATT for bashing T-Mobile, then please have the decency to tell us your bias. I'm not taking any money from T-Mobile or affiliates for my posts. I've even told everyone on here what we pay them every month.

Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    These are corporations, are we supposed to worry about offending them or something?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N900Fan View Post
    I suppose if a poster spent as much time chastising AT&T or Verizon for their high rates and lack of choices, then I might consider it a balanced approach. Otherwise, all of this is just drama, or possibly worse.

If anyone on here is getting a nickel a post directly or indirectly from Verizon or ATT for bashing T-Mobile, then please have the decency to tell us your bias. I'm not taking any money from T-Mobile or affiliates for my posts. I've even told everyone on here what we pay them every month.
    I don't know about you, but I have more important things to worry about Oh, and no, I don't get a cent from anybody, I just speak how it is where I live

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I e-mailed the CEO about this, and this was their reply:

T-Mobile USA, Inc. ("T-Mobile") is in receipt of your e-mail letter dated August 9, 2013 regarding T-Mobile service.
    T-Mobile appreciates your interest in our service and we strive to provide the best service to our customers. T-Mobile already has one of the top rated networks, but is constantly working to make it even better. Over the next several months, T-Mobile will continue to focus on evolving our network through three major initiatives:

· Reallocating some of our 1900 MHz spectrum from 2G (EDGE) technology to 4G HSPA+
    · Upgrading existing equipment on our towers to improve coverage and reliability
    · Launching 4G LTE in 2013

Although T-Mobile plans to reach broad deployment of LTE throughout 2013 to over 200 million Americans, we are not announcing cities prior to the deployment of each city at this time. T-Mobile regrets any inconvenience with this information.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Very truly yours,

T-MOBILE USA, INC.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yes, your posts are informative. If I was up in that beautiful area again, I would probably reread your posts when deciding on which provider I needed for rural data.

My last post was more directed at the chronic T-Mobile bashers, some of whom don't even use the service.

I don't know about you, but I have more important things to worry about Oh, and no, I don't get a cent from anybody, I just speak how it is where I live

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Was in Port Lavaca, Texas 77979 pop 12,000 today, the TMO Edge is basically unusable there. Saw workers and a bunch of trucks with new cell panels at a combi TMO/Sprint cell tower. Stopped and asked, they were completely upgrading the Sprint hardware, got my hopes up for a second. At&t has 4G LTE there, unsure what data speeds Sprint and Verizon have there, oh well......

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    We gave up on T-Mobile here in our rural area, at our place in Redwood Valley I have HSPA+ w/EB from AT&T, LTE from Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Metro PCS, but only EDGE from T-Mobile, so either T-Mobile doesn't care that they are 1-2 generations behind the other guys, or they are too busy buying flashy clothes and Guess watches for big John.
    Obviously you missed it, but instead of buying "flashy clothes" for CEO John Legere, Tmobile US spent billions in cash and equity to acquire the MetroPCS brand as well as the LTE network that you mentioned above that covers your "rural area". T-Mobile US is the sole owner of the LTE Network, and the sole provider of LTE services on that network. So your statement that T-Mobile only has EDGE in that area is blatantly false. In fact they now provide LTE that even AT&T doesn't provide there.

it seems they just don't care about NW CA, outside of Sonoma, Marin and Napa Counties anyway.
    The MetroPCS LTE network is still up and running in NW California isn't it? So obviously T-Mobile US "cares" enough to keep providing that service contrary to your false claim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    You apparently think its a dust bowl, since you consider a city that size as unworthy for LTE.
    I never said it was "unworthy for LTE." I did say that as the 139th largest metro area in the country, there are 138 more populated areas that T-Mobile would likely concentrate on first to expand LTE to the most people in the shortest amount of time.

Besides did you read this comment:

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown2195
    HSPA+ coverage around Springfield, which is pretty excellent,
    Note the words: "pretty excellent".

So it kind of shoots a big hole in your argument that T-Mobile considers Springfield part of the dust bowl as it provides pretty excellent 4G HSPA+ coverage. It also dispels the notion that there is an urgent need for an LTE upgrade there.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast