Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Thread: Tmobile EDGE upgrade?

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, LG V40 ThinQ, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    Band 12 700 which is not detected by the nexus 5.

Last checked the majority of the USCC network is covered with 700a with 80-90% overlaid with 850mhz band 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Lots of good info, thanks! The Nexus 5 won't pick up on T Mobile's 700A they got from Verizon either, right?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Pixel, S9+, S9, S8, S7, G6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Lots of good info, thanks! The Nexus 5 won't pick up on T Mobile's 700A they got from Verizon either, right?

via the HoFo App
    Nope. Only 700 it supports is band 17 which is Atts 700b+c. Verizon is 750mhz band 13 which I'd also unsupported.

Band 5 support is also for Att but also included because the device supports band 26 for sprint and band 5 is a subset of 26 which is esmr 800 + cl850.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvscure1 View Post
    Hi, I live in Southern Illinois, Carbondale to be exact. Is there any chance that we will get 4g, or better coverage? I mostly go places that have wifi, but once I'm outside of wifi, I'm either roaming, or have barely any coverage. Thanks in advance for all help.
    Carbondale is a weird black hole for T-Mo, especially with the large number of college students there. Have you tried contacting T-Force or John Legere on Twitter? That would be my starting point.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    BLU Life One X2, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question T-Mobile EDGE Upgrade Plan

Has anyone heard the news that T-Mobile is upgrading 50% of their EDGE network by the end of the year? My understanding is this will be refarmed with the LTE using the 1900Mhz frequency (Band 2).

Will LTE be replacing EDGE for the Cell sites upgraded? Or will they run side by side? If side by side, then will the sites have fallback to UMTS/HSPA since its the intermediary technology?

I'm very curious how they plan to do this upgrade.

Thanks,
    Audi

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They'll be adding LTE, not replacing EDGE, since it's still needed for voice. It's unknown as to if they'll add HSPA as well. We'll know more once we start seeing these upgrades.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by audi.rs4 View Post
    Has anyone heard the news that T-Mobile is upgrading 50% of their EDGE network by the end of the year? My understanding is this will be refarmed with the LTE using the 1900Mhz frequency (Band 2).

Will LTE be replacing EDGE for the Cell sites upgraded? Or will they run side by side? If side by side, then will the sites have fallback to UMTS/HSPA since its the intermediary technology?

I'm very curious how they plan to do this upgrade.

Thanks,
    Audi
    As someone else mentioned, they will be adding LTE, not replacing EDGE. You can find a thread devoted to adding LTE to 2G areas here.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
    After checking out the new RootMetrics maps, I noticed that some areas around Texas that were previously roaming are now HSPA+. Check out SW and SE San Angelo on RootMetrics and then on T-Mobile's maps. Not sure if it's legit or not, since the few speed tests in that area don't match up just yet.

Unless it's all roaming... But if it was, it would be mapped as the roaming carrier, right? So, maybe it's native coverage? There's some "2G/3G" down on I-10 as well, where the entire stretch from San Antonio to El Paso was roaming.

Looking at some places I used to live (sort of), Alexandria, Louisiana, once roaming, seems to have some HSPA+, at least according to RootMetrics. Interesting how things are progressing if it's all native coverage and not just the data connection that a roaming partner might be offering. That's probably what all of this is, though. Although, in Alexandria, there are some speed tests that are in line with HSPA+, so who knows...

Something doesn't seem right...
    No t-mobile service in Alexandria, LA -- it's 2G roaming on AT&T. (We have an office up there and I checked with my T-mobile iPad).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Oopsz View Post
    No t-mobile service in Alexandria, LA -- it's 2G roaming on AT&T. (We have an office up there and I checked with my T-mobile iPad).
    In that case, what's on Root Metrics should be taken with an even smaller grain of salt. At least Sensorly doesn't show roaming data.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I can't comment on Alexandria's roaming, but as far as roaming and root metrics go, the coverage from Brookhaven, MS down to past the Louisiana state line is all roaming. And it shows up on T-mobiles root maps. Used to be centennial but now it's all ATT. And only gsm roaming. Not UMTS.

I have been on ATT UMTS before in Alabama and it was SEVERELY throttled, so speed gains were not there. I know the roaming on iWireless in Iowa isn't throttled or metered, but I also don't know of any other GSM carriers in Alexandria that T-Mobile could possibly be roaming on. Centennial had a network there. Was this a MTPCS divested market? Maybe that could shed some light on these weird results.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by reedacus25 View Post
    I can't comment on Alexandria's roaming, but as far as roaming and root metrics go, the coverage from Brookhaven, MS down to past the Louisiana state line is all roaming. And it shows up on T-mobiles root maps. Used to be centennial but now it's all ATT. And only gsm roaming. Not UMTS.

I have been on ATT UMTS before in Alabama and it was SEVERELY throttled, so speed gains were not there. I know the roaming on iWireless in Iowa isn't throttled or metered, but I also don't know of any other GSM carriers in Alexandria that T-Mobile could possibly be roaming on. Centennial had a network there. Was this a MTPCS divested market? Maybe that could shed some light on these weird results.

T mobile has now deployed pcs (extremely limited) and band 12 lte in the Alexandria area. If you don't have band 12, it's 3g roaming on mtpcs. As far as I know they aren't selling service there, just providing coverage for travelers.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    T mobile has now deployed pcs (extremely limited) and band 12 lte in the Alexandria area. If you don't have band 12, it's 3g roaming on mtpcs. As far as I know they aren't selling service there, just providing coverage for travelers.
    It's a mix of L2100+U2100+L700 or L700 only. Not enough PCS for anything substantial. It's still not a dense build. It's a "cover as much as possible for as cheap as possible" build out.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It must be a mix, as I've seen both seen native t-mobile HSPA and limited LTE in the alexandria area on an ipad air - couldn't tell you the band unless someone figures out how to get field test mode on the iPad.

It is extremely limited and indoors will frequently switch back to MTPCS/Cellular One. I think the towers are in pineville as the signal is much stronger in downtown and across the river. But I don't have band 12.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25