Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SaskTel opposes federal 'advantages' for Verizon

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

SaskTel opposes federal 'advantages' for Verizon

July 30, 2013

SaskTel fears the Harper government is giving a leg up to Verizon Communications Inc., the giant U.S. wireless communications company that wants to enter the Canadian market by buying two small players, Wind Mobile and Mobilicity, and thereby obtain half of the 700-megahertz wireless spectrum coming up for auction.

That could spell trouble for SaskTel and its customers in rural and remote parts of the province, according to a senior official with the Crown corporation.

"There are only four prime blocks of 700 (MHz) spectrum in this auction,'' said John Meldrum, vice-president of regulatory affairs for SaskTel. "At the moment, Verizon is considered to be a startup and would be eligible to be able to purchase two of these blocks."

The spectrum auction in early 2014 is considered the most valuable ever because of the ability of the 700 MHz band to carry wireless signals over long distances and to transmit data to wireless devices, like smartphones and tablet computers.

But instead of using the 700 MHz spectrum to provide wireless services to rural and remote areas of Canada, Verizon will use it to compete with the big Canadian wireless players, like Bell, Rogers and Telus, in large urban centres, while smaller regional players, like Sask-Tel, MTS and Eastlink, and their customers will be the losers, Meldrum added.

"If you look at the rural build-out requirements (of Industry Canada's spectrum auction rules), they're virtually non-existent. So basically two of the prime 700 (MHz) blocks will end up in the hands of Verizon and their build-out requirements (in Saskatchewan) are Regina and Saskatoon. So that's certainly a concern for rural Saskatchewan and other parts of rural Canada," Meldrum said.

"For some reason, the federal government thinks that poor, little Verizon - which incidentally is half the size of the federal government itself - is somehow entitled to advantages,'' Meldrum said, adding that all carriers should be limited to bidding for one block of spectrum and that companies that don't use it should have to share it.

SaskTel and the 'Big Three' wireless companies - Bell, Rogers and Telus - aren't the only ones complaining about Verizon, which has 100 million wireless customers, getting preferential treatment by the federal government.

John Manley, president of the Canadian Council of Chief Executives, which represents Canada's top 150 CEOs, says favouring a foreign competitor over Canadian companies sets a bad precedent. "Because of the depth of Verizon's pockets, they can easily buy up two of the four blocks,'' Manley said. "That leaves a Canadian player out of that spectrum ... and spectrum is the oxygen for wireless communications."

The Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union (CEP) also opposes any advantages the Harper government is offering New York-based Verizon.

"Granting one of the biggest companies in the world special rights to public airwaves (spectrum), to buy small players and to existing companies' networks may be the most ill-conceived policy the Harper government has come up with," CEP president Dave Coles said in a statement.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...269/story.html

Carrier(s)
    wind
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    they shouldnot be worried about the rural area, bell will cover it in just one year.

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Boo hoo for Sasktel. They should learn how to compete. They are losing their rural customers to Telus now anyway.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackroc View Post
    Boo hoo for Sasktel. They should learn how to compete. They are losing their rural customers to Telus now anyway.
    You are missing the point here. It's not boo hoo for SaskTel. It's boo hoo for Rural Saskatchewan. Telus, Bell, Rogers, and potentially Verizon ave no incentive to build a rural LTE network in Saskatchewan. Keep in mind that Telus is already hoarding PCS (1900) spectrum in Saskatchewan, and has no intent on using it, or letting SaskTel use it on the shared network, all at the same time, Telus customers complain about congestion in Saskatchewan. Telus simply has to lease this spectrum to SaskTel to improve service for their customers, yet, it sits unused. Just like any of the 700mhz spectrum will, especially in the rural areas.

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Don't think I am missing anything here. It really couldn't be much worse for rural Sask with the cell plans Sasktel offers. You seem to think Sasktel is really concerned about offering great service in rural Sask?
    Last edited by Blackroc; 08-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Don't think I am missing anything here. It really couldn't be much worse for rural Sask with the cell plans Sasktel offers. You seem to think Sasktel is really concerned about offering great service in rural Sask?
    There are two providers with networks in Saskatchewan. Rogers and SaskTel. In rural areas, Rogers still has the same tower and equipment it did ten years ago. SaskTel is constantly putting back into their network. SaskTel plans to deploy LTE across the entire province. Where are the other providers with that kind of plan?

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Don't worry they will just rent space on the Sasktel towers like they do now I would assume. You realize there are people in rural areas in other provinces and states that get cell and internet service from services not named Sasktel. Why we have a government owned telcom is beyond me........

MTS claims their cell coverage covers 97% of Manitoba's population so I don't see how things would be so so different under a private company......

Feedback Score
    Don't worry they will just rent space on the Sasktel towers like they do now I would assume. You realize there are people in rural areas in other provinces and states that get cell and internet service from services not named Sasktel. Why we have a government owned telcom is beyond me........

MTS claims their cell coverage covers 97% of Manitoba's population so I don't see how things would be so so different under a private company......
    This is a strange issue, I don't know if there is a cut and dry answer for what is currently going on. The providers only seam to have there best interest in mind.
    SaskTel and MTS are in a sticky situation. They should really team up and pull there funds together to try and outbid to get 700 MHz spectrum at any cost. Setup a joint venture to cover the prairies.
    The only reason MTS has 97% coverage is because it to was once a crown cooperation, since they privatized not one tower has been erected in the rural.
    Don't forget all other providers have a roaming agreement (they do not lease tower space) they actually use SaskTel and MTS equipment and radios. Ever notice how Telus has the exact same coverage map in SK as SaskTel? Or when SaskTel lights up a tower with LTE 2 weeks to a month later Telus is announcing it has LTE in the same area. This goes for Rogers in MB as well using MTD network, this also applies to Bell. Now Rogers does have some old Edge towers covering SK and in MB but also have a roaming agreement with MTS (in MB) but for how far apart they are you might as well use a tin can with some string or a CB radio. Without these agreements no other carrier would have coverage in MB or SK. MTS and SaskTel where forced (in a way) to setup these roaming agreements otherwise there customers would not have coverage outside the two Provence's . MTS and SaskTel have always had good neighbor agreements.

Its easy for a provider to erect a hand full of towers in a city like WPG (Telus for example) and then claims they have 65% coverage (based off population) might as well call it a city phone.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dxintel View Post
    This is a strange issue, I don't know if there is a cut and dry answer for what is currently going on. The providers only seam to have there best interest in mind.
    SaskTel and MTS are in a sticky situation. They should really team up and pull there funds together to try and outbid to get 700 MHz spectrum at any cost. Setup a joint venture to cover the prairies.
    The only reason MTS has 97% coverage is because it to was once a crown cooperation, since they privatized not one tower has been erected in the rural.
    Don't forget all other providers have a roaming agreement (they do not lease tower space) they actually use SaskTel and MTS equipment and radios. Ever notice how Telus has the exact same coverage map in SK as SaskTel? Or when SaskTel lights up a tower with LTE 2 weeks to a month later Telus is announcing it has LTE in the same area. This goes for Rogers in MB as well using MTD network, this also applies to Bell. Now Rogers does have some old Edge towers covering SK and in MB but also have a roaming agreement with MTS (in MB) but for how far apart they are you might as well use a tin can with some string or a CB radio. Without these agreements no other carrier would have coverage in MB or SK. MTS and SaskTel where forced (in a way) to setup these roaming agreements otherwise there customers would not have coverage outside the two Provence's . MTS and SaskTel have always had good neighbor agreements.

Its easy for a provider to erect a hand full of towers in a city like WPG (Telus for example) and then claims they have 65% coverage (based off population) might as well call it a city phone.

Sent with the HoFo App

People in small villages and farms in Sask wouldn't have access to high speed internet if it wasn't for yourlink, littleloon, and canwan. Sasktel pushing their WBBI customers to xplorenet isn't what people want. If they had wanted xplorenet with their caps on usage and slow ping times that makes games impossible they would be there already. Other jurisdictions that don't have a government owned telco have managed to put up cell towers. Also nearly every call rural people make on a cell phone is long distance. That's why Telus plan with unlimited nationwide calling is so popular with us out here in the boonies. If Telus can offer it one would think Sasktel could also if they chose to....

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Sasktel pushing their WBBI customers to xplorenet isn't what people want.
    SaskTel had no choice, but, to get rid of WBBI because of an Industry Canada decision. It's replacement will be a separate LTE based network, but, there isn't enough time between when WBBI had to be turned down to get this separate LTE based network up and running. Unfortunately, Xplornet is the only thing SaskTel can offer. Again, due to a decision by the federal government. Just like the rules in the 700Mhz auction will limit what will be available to rural Saskatchewan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmasterfunk View Post
    SaskTel had no choice, but, to get rid of WBBI because of an Industry Canada decision. It's replacement will be a separate LTE based network, but, there isn't enough time between when WBBI had to be turned down to get this separate LTE based network up and running. Unfortunately, Xplornet is the only thing SaskTel can offer. Again, due to a decision by the federal government. Just like the rules in the 700Mhz auction will limit what will be available to rural Saskatchewan.
    That's crazy hey. Government is trying to mandate access to hi speed internet to be available to everyone without discrimination just like power, but yet they setup rules (decisions) that take away access to internet like WBBI.

You ask me the 700 MHz (white space spectrum) should have been used to deploy IEEE 802.22 (WRAN) this would have enabled access to high speed internet to all rural areas as the old antennas and towers are mostly all still standing.

Seams like every time you turn around the rural people are loosing out. Just like the loss of analog TV. Thanks again government and your rules. All rural TV broadcaster shut down the analog broadcast and had no intention or where not forced to deploy digital. Now just the big cities have access to free TV broadcasts. I was OK with only 2 or 3 TV channels but now you have to get a full basic sat package that's close to $50 oh and you can't use Netflix because your dial up (or Yourlink/RFnow) wireless internet providers can't provide the band with. What's next? Shutdown FM radio and replace it with DAB or digital radio but only cover the cities. Then I will have no music too. Environment Canada's WX radio weather warning already don't reach the rural areas.

I know most will not agree with me but the rural people contribute some very key services to the countries city living people. Examples would be energy such as hydro electric, coal mining, oil and gas rigs, lumber, Food such as livestock and grains, vegetables, fertiliser such as potash. Its not as simple as everyone moving to the city, where would these key resources come from? Just stop and think about it for if only a minute.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmasterfunk View Post
    It is common knowledge that the federal government wanted that area of the spectrum back. That said instead of just telling their WBBI customers to go to xplorenet they could have considered putting dsl into more small towns and village rather than lose customers to the ones I mentioned. No doubt when they offer the 4G LTE based service it will have a 10GB cap for 75 bucks. Not really comparable to the service people in the larger centres get for far less money.

Feedback Score
    I suppose the mobile rate plans will be irrelevent since without the 700MHz, there will be no 4G LTE in rural Sask. Telus and Bell aren't going to suddenly decide to build towers anywhere in Saskatchewan, much less rural Saskatchewan. And, Rogers is still operating on 2G in rural areas so I doubt they're planning on expanding LTE. Not that it would make any difference to anyone who doesn't live on the highway even if they did. But hey. I'm sure Verizon will be putting up towers in rural and northern Saskatchewan with no bandwidth caps just as soon as they get the spectrum so no worries rural Saskatchewan people!

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frmr View Post
    I suppose the mobile rate plans will be irrelevent since without the 700MHz, there will be no 4G LTE in rural Sask. Telus and Bell aren't going to suddenly decide to build towers anywhere in Saskatchewan, much less rural Saskatchewan. And, Rogers is still operating on 2G in rural areas so I doubt they're planning on expanding LTE. Not that it would make any difference to anyone who doesn't live on the highway even if they did. But hey. I'm sure Verizon will be putting up towers in rural and northern Saskatchewan with no bandwidth caps just as soon as they get the spectrum so no worries rural Saskatchewan people!

Pretty sure nobody said they expected Verizon to put up new towers anywhere. Also it isn't like Sasktel rushes new services into rural or northern areas. What Verizon might give us is more option on cell plans. Anyway I realize Sasktel employees are nervous about new competition possibly coming.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    I can't wait for Verizon to come, but I hope they don't let them snatch up 2 blocks of 700 so easily. I believe they won't build out rurally in Saskatchewan and thus they will waste the spectrum just like how Shaw wasted their SK AWS spectrum and how Telus is wasting PCS and AWS spectrum in SK. I really hate Shaw and Telus for that, it's why I am no longer a customer of either companies.

The HSPA network that SaskTel, Bell, Telus, Koodo, and Virgin use already feels so congested everywhere I've been in SK, it had me hoping the government might put in the suggestion Sasktel had into the auction rules like the use it or lose/share it rule.

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast