Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BAD outgoing call quality-help!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question BAD outgoing call quality-help!

I didn't have any luck with this in the smartphone area, thought I'd drop in here.

Help. I'm just about to bail from Verizon on this one.....

I have terrible outgoing call quality. My voice sounds muffled, almost like (to quote one Verizon rep.) like I'm talking underwater.

Verizon has replaced my Razr Maxx and the SIM card. The issue shows up on BOTH phones. However, when my number is forwarded to another cell phone (AT&T) there are no voice quality issues either way.

Incoming voice sounds great. Outgoing voice is terrible, regardless of who initiates the call. This began about the middle of May in Austin Texas. Every single call is affected. I've checked to make sure the noise canceling mics are clear, as I know that can make a difference.

The best(?) Verizon tech support has come with is a trouble ticket saying that because an area ONE MILE from me has marginal coverage (my residence and office are in strong coverage areas), I may have issues. Even the tech that read it back to me said that was absurd.

Does anyone have any thoughts at all?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can you try a different model phone with your SIM card? See if it makes a difference?

Sent with the HoFo App
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Is this isolated to just one area of your city/town?

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    This is due to EC/I0 (CDMA signal quality), possibly interference. It sounds like the cell site outputs plenty of power to give you a clean call, but on the uplink side the site is not getting a clean signal back from the phone. Underwater is a good description of CDMA sound when the signal stats start going south. As it declines, it goes from really nice and sharp, to normal, to underwatery, then robotic and muffled, then breakups or no call at all. Usually I've only seen this with very low bars, but did have voice quality problems with 2 bars in Baltimore (years ago), which would have been due to excessive load on the cell sites.

When VZW went through to do other things locally, they retuned the CDMA too, so if they come back and do say LTE panels or something on there, the voice may improve. I would not wait for it though if it's a significant problem.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies, guys. A couple of updates....

My signal seems fine, no matter where I go. Four bars is normal, three rarely. Data dropouts are almost unheard of during streaming audio through TuneIn. And yes, the audio problem happens throughout Austin.

I received ANOTHER replacement phone from Verizon today. THIS one was a Razr Maxx HD. I noticed the call quality was a BIT better, at least most words were understandable. However, the frequency response was still MUCH worse than AT&T or TMo. My voice on either GSM carrier sounded so MUCH more natural.

Tomorrow, I am supposed to get a new SIM card. We'll see if that makes any difference at all. The Maxx HD (once I slapped the Nova launcher on it) seems to be a fine piece of hardware. Indeed, the LG L9 I was using on TMo temporarily is a toy compared to it. But that "toy" STILL blows it away in terms of outgoing audio quality.

Next experiment...installing a VOIP app and seeing how that changes things.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Verizon runs evdo and 1x data on 1900mhz(20 or 30 mhz total) so it could be a capacity issue. Lte is on 700 mhz and soon to be aws in Austin. AT&T has both cellular licenses in that area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $80.99/month

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well.....OK. When I installed the Vonage VoIP app the call quality was exactly the same. At this point maybe Motos phones just have poor frequency response ?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. A couple of updates....

My signal seems fine, no matter where I go. Four bars is normal, three rarely. Data dropouts are almost unheard of during streaming audio through TuneIn. And yes, the audio problem happens throughout Austin.

I received ANOTHER replacement phone from Verizon today. THIS one was a Razr Maxx HD. I noticed the call quality was a BIT better, at least most words were understandable. However, the frequency response was still MUCH worse than AT&T or TMo. My voice on either GSM carrier sounded so MUCH more natural.

Tomorrow, I am supposed to get a new SIM card. We'll see if that makes any difference at all. The Maxx HD (once I slapped the Nova launcher on it) seems to be a fine piece of hardware. Indeed, the LG L9 I was using on TMo temporarily is a toy compared to it. But that "toy" STILL blows it away in terms of outgoing audio quality.

Next experiment...installing a VOIP app and seeing how that changes things.

Keep in mind that when comparing T-mobile and AT&T voice quality to other carriers, in many areas T-Mobile and AT&T run HD-voice codec (or full AMR). Verizon does not have an equivalent (yet), thus Verizon voice quality won't sound as clear and "HD" as T-Mobile and AT&T in areas that support these codecs. This may be a factor that contributes to your problem: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...014/2013-04-02

In going from a HD-voice carrier to Verizon, you will definitely notice a significant drop in voice quality (at least until Verizon implements HD-voice).
    - Chokaay

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm with you, chokaay, except for the fact that it sounds the same over Vonage running over the local Internet as it does over Verizon's CDMA. I'm wondering if the phone instrument itself simply has poor frequency response?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My cousin had a Razr, whenever I talked to her I could barely understand anything. This was on landlines and various cell carriers. She switched to a GS3 and I could hear her again... Not perfectly but at least more normal. Voice quality was described like you said.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would try a different phone model, if not I mean if Verizon doesn't come out with VoLTE in your area soon, I would tell you to try to figure out something else maybe sticking with a different carrier for the mean time?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoDough View Post
    You have been trying for 5 years to work for AT&T? Are you retarded?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, last night I was back on the phone with Verizon Tier II tech support. Their resolution: to declare my neighborhood a "marginal" coverage area as of the middle of May 2013 and release me from any ETF should I wish to try another carrier. I find this interesting as 1) I always have at least four of five bars of service at home and 2) the issue happens ALL OVER Austin.

After that conversation, I did a search for "Razr Maxx" and "microphone". Apparently the entire Razr Maxx series has had issues with mics for some time now. I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard anything before now regarding this. So my resolution, temporarily at least is to bail for TMo's prepaid service temporarily, and consider my options. I have come upon a little LG L9 that has excellent incoming and outgoing sound quality. I'll need to travel come the Fall, so maybe by then I can swing a decent deal with AT&T. After the, well, excuses, I've been given with Verizon, I'm not sure I want to stay with them but will sleep on it a few days <grin>, to see how I feel.

I probably need to test drive an S4 or something similar on Verizon to see how it sounds.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    This is due to EC/I0 (CDMA signal quality), possibly interference. It sounds like the cell site outputs plenty of power to give you a clean call, but on the uplink side the site is not getting a clean signal back from the phone. Underwater is a good description of CDMA sound when the signal stats start going south. As it declines, it goes from really nice and sharp, to normal, to underwatery, then robotic and muffled, then breakups or no call at all. Usually I've only seen this with very low bars, but did have voice quality problems with 2 bars in Baltimore (years ago), which would have been due to excessive load on the cell sites.
    I find this interesting as 1) I always have at least four of five bars of service at home and 2) the issue happens ALL OVER Austin.
    Just because you have at least four "bars" of LTE, doesn't mean you have a good, usable, CDMA signal.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Well, last night I was back on the phone with Verizon Tier II tech support. Their resolution: to declare my neighborhood a "marginal" coverage area as of the middle of May 2013 and release me from any ETF should I wish to try another carrier. I find this interesting as 1) I always have at least four of five bars of service at home and 2) the issue happens ALL OVER Austin.

After that conversation, I did a search for "Razr Maxx" and "microphone". Apparently the entire Razr Maxx series has had issues with mics for some time now. I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard anything before now regarding this. So my resolution, temporarily at least is to bail for TMo's prepaid service temporarily, and consider my options. I have come upon a little LG L9 that has excellent incoming and outgoing sound quality. I'll need to travel come the Fall, so maybe by then I can swing a decent deal with AT&T. After the, well, excuses, I've been given with Verizon, I'm not sure I want to stay with them but will sleep on it a few days <grin>, to see how I feel.

I probably need to test drive an S4 or something similar on Verizon to see how it sounds.

Glad you are on your way to getting your issue resolved. I have a RAZR MAXX HD (as do most of my co-workers) and we don't notice any of the problems you are having with the microphone. When compared to the iPhone5 (which some co-workers also have on Verizon), they both sound exactly the same (both using Verizon Wireless in the same area).

When compared to a co-worker's T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3, T-Mobile's HD-voice quality blows Verizon's voice quality out of the water. Even T-Mobile's non-HD Full AMR voice quality is significantly better than Verizon's voice quality. If I didn't know what HD-voice sounded like, I'd probably still be 100% satisfied with Verizon... but now it's dropped a little (voice calls are the most important aspect of using a cell phone to me).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Just because you have at least four "bars" of LTE, doesn't mean you have a good, usable, CDMA signal.
    Absolutely, and thanks for reminding me of that!

After fooling with this for far too long, I've come to the conclusion that it's probably a combination of mediocre call quality on Verizon and a couple of REALLY terrible Razr Maxx headsets. The current one is at least understandable, but outgoing audio is compressed beyond anything I've ever heard, either in a studio OR on a phone. This does look like a temporary stop in TMo land, then on to, well, who knows? This market changes so fast that any handset you get is ancient history in six months.

chokaay...is there a way to tell which phones are equipped for HD-voice on TMo? I seem to remember a VERY short list, but can't find it now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast