Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T's Lte is about to tank!

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T's Lte is about to tank!

AT&T has found another use for its LTE and HSPA networks besides connecting iPhones and Android devices to the internet. It’s connecting homes. Ma Bell has started offering a residential broadband and voice service that relies on a 3G/4G modem for its link back to the network rather than traditional wireline access technologies.
    FierceWireless first spotted the new service on AT&T’s website, which shows that that its is now available in Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, D.C. If those locations sound a bit odd, that’s because they’re all — with the exception of Kentucky — outside of AT&T’s traditional wireline operating territory. In fact, they’re squarely in the middle in of Verizon Communications’ turf.
    This home router is clearly the tool AT&T plans to use to expand beyond its wireline footprint, giving it a means to sell residential broadband and phone services to its mobile customers nationally as well as an access component to its Digital Life connected home platform. The question is whether customers will pay. This service isn’t cheap and would likely appeal to customers with few other broadband options.
    The baseline service is $80 a month, which includes unlimited local calls and domestic long-distance for $20 and 10 GBs of data for $60. The home router (free with a two year contract) supports 10 simultaneous Wi-Fi connections and can connect to any standard home phone. AT&T is promising speeds between 5 and 12 Mbps where LTE is available, which could make it faster than the slower DSL connections, but 4G still doesn’t come close to the bandwidth that a cable modem, fiber or U-Verse link will deliver.
    http://gigaom.com/2013/07/29/atts-la...aOM%3A+Tech%29

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    The 10GB data allocation for $80/mo is quite small compared to wired broadband options. Most people won't go for it. Very similar to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE router at the same price point for 10GB.

It is only a good alternative for folks who use little data or can't get wired broadband access.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Told people this was always going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoDough View Post
    You have been trying for 5 years to work for AT&T? Are you retarded?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    One of those last last last resort options at least until we can bump up those caps to 50-100GB's or more. To be fair though I don't think any cellphone carrier has the network capacity to handle home broadband support in any large numbers. For now it would totally be niche.

I get great HSPA+ speeds at home and I've used my Mobile HotSpot from my phone over AT&T's network when my cable internet has gone out. Video and media stream just fine w/o buffering. But to rely on this as a sole source of internet at home would prove too expensive for the amount of data I consume.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    For customers on the fringe of wired broadband(Cable not available VDSL only to 256kbps etc) this will be a viable option. I don't think anyone that can get decent wired broadband speeds will use this service until the data buckets go up.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know how much it will cost on a shared plan?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Anyone know how much it will cost on a shared plan?
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it ;-)

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it ;-)
    Yea, these carriers are getting to the tipping point! I would bet that for some the carrier full meal deal is more than a mortgage! If we all took a wiz on AT&T's HQ building, do you think the would get the point, or say, We must be doing a great job, followed by a group hug in the company shower?
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by speer320 View Post
    For customers on the fringe of wired broadband(Cable not available VDSL only to 256kbps etc) this will be a viable option. I don't think anyone that can get decent wired broadband speeds will use this service until the data buckets go up.

Sent with the HoFo App
    There are also WISP's, and they usually have much higher caps, though speeds won't be as fast. Wired broadband is definitely preferable if you can get it, followed by WISP's, then cellular/pcs and lastly, satellite. We are lucky to have Comcast HSI available here in our area of Redwood Valley, we have Blast 50/10, but other areas of the Valley, as well as many other areas of the county have little to no choices for HSI. AT&T did finally get DSL to our development last summer, but it's so slow it's laughable, 768 Kbps, what a joke. We are 20,000+ Cable Feet from the CO, so they must have put in a RT somewhere.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    The 10GB data allocation for $80/mo is quite small compared to wired broadband options. Most people won't go for it. Very similar to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE router at the same price point for 10GB.

It is only a good alternative for folks who use little data or can't get wired broadband access.
    Our home has 50Mbps/5Mbps for $90 a month with no cap! And we live in the middle of no where with AT&T HSPA+

Feedback Score
    How is this a surprise? I have office sites that use LTE and other wireless means as their only internet connections. I've been using wireless for remote sites for a few years. My concern is that the Cable providers will see this and jack up their rates even more and put a cap on it too. Cable companies would love a 10GB cap, they could keep their broadcast deals and Netflix and Amazon Streaming would wither away. Wireless home broadband internet connection is coming and will be mainstream. It's too expensive to run fiber everywhere. Not to mention when I setup up a remote site for internet, it takes only a few hours. I call the carrier, plumb the wiring the roof, setup the dish and power on. Try getting a T1 installed in a day.

I was bummed, I tried using my unlimited ipad account as a home network connection but after a while ATT would drop it to HSPA+ which was slower then my TimeWaner cable connection.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Samsung Captivate, MiFi 2200
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This has been AT&T's push for LTE all along (and Verizons too) in those areas where updating the wire services is not feasible. Trust me, as much of a ripoff as these SOUND, they are still a much better option for many people that live out in the boonies. Verizon already offers something similar called Home Fusion that they are pushing really hard here in Kansas (AT&T wireline most places). Kansas is particularly bad in some places, with the best option coming in on a line that was put up 70-80 years ago.
    Rock, Chalk!

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    These plans are still really expensive compared to "the good old days" when a hotspot was $50 a month for unlimited.

Sent with the HoFo App
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Feedback Score
    Or when I had Sero with unlimited data for $23 (with corporate discount) and the Sprint Network didn't suck. While we have the Way Back Machine out; 60˘/gal gas or how about when cocaine was legal.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    Or when I had Sero with unlimited data for $23 (with corporate discount) and the Sprint Network didn't suck. While we have the Way Back Machine out; 60˘/gal gas or how about when cocaine was legal.
    Well sign right up for these plans then if you see a value. No need to be snarky.

I doubt many will see the value in this. If anyone did, they would have signed up for Verizon's overpriced home LTE service over the past two years anyways.

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast