Thread: CDMA phone- is there a way to test the reception with a meter or with a machine?

Feedback Score

CDMA phone- is there a way to test the reception with a meter or with a machine?

Hi, I have a bunch of older LG phones (such as the VX11000, VX9100, VX9900) and I tested a bunch and listed them on ebay and sold some of them. Two of the customers returned them due to having reception problems.

I know I tested it for reception before I shipped them, so when I got them back I tested it again. At first it appeared to have good reception. So I tried to activate it and about 15 seconds into the *228 call, the phone dropped the call.

I tried calling back again and this time it lasted 30 seconds, then it dropped the call again.

I took the phones circuit board out and inspected for any hardware damage and everything appeared to be in good order visually. No broken chips or chipped crystals.

So it seems like only looking at the reception bars and doing a quick test call with the phone is not good enough because sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds for it to drop. So is there a more advanced way to test the phones reception to see if there is any drop peeks?

I have lots more to sell and I would rather test them all the right way, even if that means I have to buy some sort of software or some sort of machine to test them. So does anyone know of anything that I could use to do the test?

Feedback Score
    How old are the phones?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by littleLGphone View Post
    Hi, I have a bunch of older LG phones (such as the VX11000, VX9100, VX9900) and I tested a bunch and listed them on ebay and sold some of them. Two of the customers returned them due to having reception problems.

I know I tested it for reception before I shipped them, so when I got them back I tested it again. At first it appeared to have good reception. So I tried to activate it and about 15 seconds into the *228 call, the phone dropped the call.

I tried calling back again and this time it lasted 30 seconds, then it dropped the call again.

I took the phones circuit board out and inspected for any hardware damage and everything appeared to be in good order visually. No broken chips or chipped crystals.

So it seems like only looking at the reception bars and doing a quick test call with the phone is not good enough because sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds for it to drop. So is there a more advanced way to test the phones reception to see if there is any drop peeks?

I have lots more to sell and I would rather test them all the right way, even if that means I have to buy some sort of software or some sort of machine to test them. So does anyone know of anything that I could use to do the test?
    You have a number of options including getting a tester. I would start by checking the signal using the phone's decibels (This is a much better gauge than the phone's signal bars). If you're going to use a tester, consider checking out this video. This site has lots of blogs on how to check your phone's signals and free ways to boost a signal. I've thought about getting a tester but I ended up not needing one as I gauged my phone's signal using its internal monitoring software.

Feedback Score
    Those were all Verizon phones. They're useless throw aways. Can't even activate them anymore on Verizon or any Verizon MVNO. The OP is 5 years old. I'm sure those phones are long gone.