Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Article: TELUS announces 2yr SharePlus plans starting at $70 a month for a iPhone 5/GS4/Q10

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Telus Two year contract switch

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/15/te...wo-year-plans/

This is insane. For what I get with my plan (Sask 60) it will over 150 a month!

I'm going to lock myself in a three year today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Poulson View Post
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/15/te...wo-year-plans/

This is insane. For what I get with my plan (Sask 60) it will over 150 a month!

I'm going to lock myself in a three year today.
    WOW!! I bet the other two will follow. Wind .. Here I come.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    What will happen with my service?
    My wife has the unlimited talk and text 2GB and still has years left on her contract, I'm on month-to-month with my own unlocked phone on the 6GB version of that plan. Will I be forced to change?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    What will happen with my service?
    My wife has the unlimited talk and text 2GB and still has years left on her contract, I'm on month-to-month with my own unlocked phone on the 6GB version of that plan. Will I be forced to change?
    As long as you remain M2M, Canadian carriers generally don't force a plan change. If you decide to renew your contract, there is always a chance but not often.

Telus just took a page out of AT&T's and Verizon's plan structure. While I get the idea behind the Share plans, the price jump from todays and next months pricing is insane. I'm wondering if the new entrants will start to see some higher subsriber growth as people may decide to find a MUCH cheaper option as the gap between new entrants and the Big 3's pricing widens immensly (Wind being almost more than 3 times cheaper).
    Personal Plans:
    Plan 1: - Virgin Mobile 10GB BYOP - $54

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I am appalled by this!!

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I don't think the CRTC had this in mind when they created the wireless code... this is terrible news. I pay $55 a month and the price of the plan I'm on goes up to $80 / month, absolutely horrible.

Their PR team is going to have fun defending this one.

Device(s)
    IPhone X 256gb
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Bell
    Feedback Score
    As I said in the bell forum. Telus should be a registered sex offender for the prices they announced. That is complete and blatant rape. I'm scared to see what Rogers comes out with as they have notoriously been the worst

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Phoned telus this morning. Been on hold for at least 40 minutes.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    TELUS announces 2 year plans starting at $70/month for a iPhone 5/GS4/Q10

TELUS just announced their new two-year TELUS SharePlus plans. The plans consist of a separate voice and a data charges. You pick the class of device(s) you want to bring and then how much data you want shared between them. The new plans are meant to encourage users to use more than one device from TELUS (like a phone and a tablet).

Here's the pricing:

Name:  axLnDI4.png
Views: 2223
Size:  15.8 KB

Let's whip out our calculators. With a 3 year term, let's assume you buy a Galaxy S4 for $200 and that it costs the carrier $700. That means their subsidy is $500. A carrier would have $500/36months = $13.89 a month over your 3 year contract to make their subsidy back. Now with 24 months they need $20.83 a month to make their subsidy back. So are plans going up by $6.94 a month?

Let's assume you want a HTC One with unlimited nationwide talk and text with 2GB of data. Right now TELUS has a promotional plan called 'Unlimited Talk & Text -2GB Share'. It's $70 a month on a 3 year.

With the new SharePlus plan that would cost you $55 (voice) + $45 (data) = $100. Ouch. That's an extra $30 a month which is much higher than the $6.94 a month subsidy they were giving before.

The advantage of the new plans are that you can add a couple of phones and share the data but to be honest, the data is so expensive I don't advise anyone to get it.

I'm sure many users will be thumping their 6GB/$30 plan and rightfully so.

Now let's try to see this from TELUS' standpoint. Assuming most users don't cancel or change plans (which most don't). They were guaranteed 36 months x $70 = $2520 - $500 subsidy = $2020 over the life of the contract.

Now, they're guaranteed 24 months x $100 - $500 subsidy = $1900 over 24 months. This is probably as bad as it's going to get.

To me their 2 year plans are initial offerings. They're meant to do two things: 1) get customers to run out and sign 3 year contracts before they're no longer available 2) Take advantage of users who have been itching for 2 year contracts (and failed math).

TELUS is putting their initial offerings in and waiting to see what Rogers and Bell do.

The new plans launch on July 30th.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    So!! PRICE Increase!!! Great job TELUS!! Remember People can also do their MATH!!

Now!!

What about this people who owns their device and go Month to Month!! Also Price Increase? how do you justify that?
    Bell and Rogers and Koodo

Line 1 $50 - Iphone 7 Plus 128GB
    Freedom Mobile
    Unlimited Calling - North America (Canada to US Long Distance)
    8GB a Month Full Speed
    Unlimited Global Text
    1GB North American Roaming (US and Canada)

Line 2 $50.00 - Iphone 7 128GB
    Rogers
    Unlimited Calling
    Unlimited LTE Data (20GB full speed)
    Unlimited Txt

Line 3 & 4
    Koodo
    $40.00 Ontario PLAN (Not QC or SK or MB)
    6GB LTE Data
    Unlimited Canada Wide Calling
    Unlimited Global text

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Get-Me1 View Post
    So!! PRICE Increase!!! Great job TELUS!! Remember People can also do their MATH!!

Now!!

What about this people who owns their device and go Month to Month!! Also Price Increase? how do you justify that?
    They will be offering $20/month discounts for those who BYOD with these new plans.

Also did anyone expect prices to decrease as a result of 2 year contracts? These companies have an obligation to their shareholders to maximize profits. Did anyone really expect them to maintain status quo pricing or reduce pricing while offering subsidies on a 2 year commitment?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1720 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

^People did, but it was very naive. I never had a problem with 3 year contracts, and this is exactly why. Also I think Howard made a good point that this initial offering could just be a scare tactic to see how many users they can lock into 3 year terms before these go into affect.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Not That!> Yeah we understand that they have to earn back the subsidy the provide with the phone!

Why is it that people on Month to Month or who owns their device have to pay a high rate too! how do you justify that??

no Upfront cost!! No Subsidy! just Service!

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    TELUS is trolling. They can afford to offer much better value than this, especially to BYOD customers. But what they really want is to galvanize public opinion against the CRTC's new wireless code by making consumers believe that it's taking their money away. And yes, they want to scare people into signing up now for 3 years at the old prices.

Also they just don't get it: Nearly nobody with a smartphone cares about unlimited voice minutes anymore.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    TELUS is trolling. They can afford to offer much better value than this, especially to BYOD customers. But what they really want is to galvanize public opinion against the CRTC's new wireless code by making consumers believe that it's taking their money away. And yes, they want to scare people into signing up now for 3 years at the old prices.

Also they just don't get it: Nearly nobody with a smartphone cares about unlimited voice minutes anymore.
    I agree, it's a case of the 'grass isn't always greener on the other side'. You want a 2yr contract? Fine, here's your 2yr contract!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast