Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Awful

Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T(work)
    Feedback Score

Awful

Well I normally wouldn't ever be in the Sprint forum but I have to find out what in the world is going on.

I use nTelos Wireless a small carrier in Virginia, from what I have been told Sprint uses the nTelos network in parts of VA and we are able to use Sprint in non nTelos areas. I am currently in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and the data speed is awful. I have never seen speeds as bad as these. 0.02 kb/s down. Is Sprint usually this bad for data? I have never really had to travel while using the Sprint Network so this is all new to me.

I feel terrible for anybody that actually needs their phone for business needs around here

Device(s)
    Pixel, S9+, S9, S8, S7, G6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cshifflett105 View Post
    Well I normally wouldn't ever be in the Sprint forum but I have to find out what in the world is going on.

I use nTelos Wireless a small carrier in Virginia, from what I have been told Sprint uses the nTelos network in parts of VA and we are able to use Sprint in non nTelos areas. I am currently in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and the data speed is awful. I have never seen speeds as bad as these. 0.02 kb/s down. Is Sprint usually this bad for data? I have never really had to travel while using the Sprint Network so this is all new to me.

I feel terrible for anybody that actually needs their phone for business needs around here
    What you experienced was a legacy network that has all but collapsed after years of neglection due to the lack of money. The speeds on these legacy sites have all but collapsed with the widespread and rapid adoption of smart phones and are due for replacement via the Network Vision initiative which will replace every single cell sites out there with new modular base stations, new hybrid coax cables from cabinets and up the cell site structures, new remote radio heads that support PCS 1900 and SMR 800, and alongside with new antenna panels that contain 4 PCS ports and 2 SMR ports to support LTE and EVDO/1X on PCS 1900 & SMR 800.

In addition to physically replacing the equipment on the structures, Sprint will also get advanced fiber / microwave / AAV backhaul to their cell sites that are scalable in order to defeat any chance of their network collapsing again in the future due to data demands which is what happened to their T1 backhaul. Speeds on their new network vision sites are anywhere from 1.0-2.5mbps / 0.5-1.5mbps DL-UL on EVDO 3G and anywhere from 1-37.5 mbps depending on what signal strength you have.

But yes, in areas where network vision hasn't hit yet, speeds are pretty terrible. South Carolina just recently began Network Vision deployment and is still months away from getting rid of all its legacy sites and ****** legacy data speeds.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for that information. I am so glad I dont have Sprint. At home we have problems sometimes because of the data hogs. nTelos slows to a crawl.

I hope LTE will fix these problems

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Still probably better than the ntelos towers im using in Virginia now.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Pixel, S9+, S9, S8, S7, G6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cshifflett105 View Post
    Thank you for that information. I am so glad I dont have Sprint. At home we have problems sometimes because of the data hogs. nTelos slows to a crawl.

I hope LTE will fix these problems

Sent with the HoFo App
    Ntelos isn't even considering any network vision type upgrade to their network like other Sprint affiliates and partners and won't have information till at least Quarter 4. By Quarter 4, SMR 800 LTE (5x5mhz) & BRS/EBS TD-LTE (20+20mhz) will be widespread throughout the nation and ntelos will be left far,far behind on their deployment.

The issues Sprint faces will be diminishing in the coming months as they've hit a strive of at least 1000+ sites being NV accepted. It's been calculated Sprint needs to have at least 1000-1500 sites accepted per week to get the majority of the network fixed and they've hit that strive since january.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    Ntelos isn't even considering any network vision type upgrade to their network like other Sprint affiliates and partners and won't have information till at least Quarter 4. By Quarter 4, SMR 800 LTE (5x5mhz) & BRS/EBS TD-LTE (20+20mhz) will be widespread throughout the nation and ntelos will be left far,far behind on their deployment.

The issues Sprint faces will be diminishing in the coming months as they've hit a strive of at least 1000+ sites being NV accepted. It's been calculated Sprint needs to have at least 1000-1500 sites accepted per week to get the majority of the network fixed and they've hit that strive since january.
    'Ntelos' needs to get with it, another regional I've never heard of before HoFo. Does 'Ntelos' have the $$$ to upgrade? How long before they are bought out?

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    There was some talk about them getting purchased by sprint but nothing for a while. They even have their own prepaid. Not bad service but mainly on the east coast in a few states.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think Sprint and nTelos have even renewed their agreement. Last I heard there was a lot of contention between the two and Sprint may not sign an agreement with them. That would not surprise me since nTelos was recently working with Dish on a trial using BRS spectrum to provide rural broadband. I don't remember how many iDEN towers were in the nTelos area but that would provide the infrastructure to quickly put up antennas.

Another affiliate to watch out for is Swiftel. I don't think an agreement for LTE has been worked out with them either.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser09 View Post
    I don't think Sprint and nTelos have even renewed their agreement. Last I heard there was a lot of contention between the two and Sprint may not sign an agreement with them. That would not surprise me since nTelos was recently working with Dish on a trial using BRS spectrum to provide rural broadband. I don't remember how many iDEN towers were in the nTelos area but that would provide the infrastructure to quickly put up antennas.

Another affiliate to watch out for is Swiftel. I don't think an agreement for LTE has been worked out with them either.
    Yeah, nTelos was heavily backing Dish in the recent merger talks -- they were even working with Dish on a trial for the home broadband solution that Dish was looking to deploy if they won Sprint. Haven't heard what's up with Swiftel... Sheltel, OTOH is a Sprint affiliate that is on it--they've already launched LTE across most of their network in WV--I'm pretty sure it's nearly complete.

Hopefully Sprint is keeping all the IDEN sites on reserve in these areas so they can throw up their own network relatively quickly if they need to drop their affiliates... I'm not sure that nTelos was even a true Sprint affiliate (I believe Shentel and Swiftel are) -- nTelos was more of a Sprint Rural Alliance member, and that whole program seems to have fizzled out since Verizon launched their LTE In Rural America program -- it seems like a LOT of local carriers flocked to that... I'm not sure if Sprint was offering different terms, but they have the nationwide PCS G block to offer exactly what Verizon was offering... so either Sprint's terms weren't as good, or it was simply a case of Verizon offering 700 mhz. spectrum instead of PCS which was easier to build out...

Nat

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Not gonna lie nTelos is awful as well. However I do get decent average speeds in the City Of Charlottesville. I left Verizon for nTelos because of price and I am thinking of finding something else. The coverage is spotty at best and if you do have to roam there is no data included with it.

nTelos keeps talking about LTE but I have seen nothing going on. They also have no S3 only the S2 still. Im sure there are some cash issues keeping them from doing things

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    When you look at RootMetrics maps Sprint is the worst in every area that I have looked at.

Where has Network Vision been installed already? I'd like to see on those maps whether it's making a difference.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it'll make a significant difference on maps -- it does help range a little so it'll help with the swiss cheese, but no miracles. What it *will* do is give Sprint reasonable data speeds.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Lg flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live in charleston south carolina and the speeds are what I expected when I bought service with them. I have the Iphone 4 for free and frankly I use the phone sparingly and the speeds are ok with me cause I am not anxious to see the next post on facebook or the next email and I can wait. it is what it is. and my phone is not clued to my ears nor is it clued to my eyes.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    That's what Root Metrics does - it maps data speeds. There are some variables it doesn't seem to account for though such as how old samples are and by what type of phone.

Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I don't think it'll make a significant difference on maps -- it does help range a little so it'll help with the swiss cheese, but no miracles. What it *will* do is give Sprint reasonable data speeds.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    That's what Root Metrics does - it maps data speeds. There are some variables it doesn't seem to account for though such as how old samples are and by what type of phone.
    With how rapidly things are changing with Sprint a map is no good by the time it is published in a report such as this. Sensorly provides about the best maps for where 4G really is. Sprint posts markets that are launched and often show the final coverage once completed, not reality at launch. There are a good number of speed tests posted at s4gru. Those would be more current than any map put out by root metric or any other metric company.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast