Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Phone
    Galaxy S3, Note 2, Bold 9900, Q10
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I don't see how anyone could think this is a good idea. Lots of people could lie and say a phone was stolen when it was sold/honestly lost by the owner. You could apply this sort of 'deactivation/locking' to almost anything these days (computers, televisions, mp3 players, etc), all you'd have to do is have them check in online before allowing it to be used. Seems similar to the whole "DRM" thing everyone is fighting against.

I don't agree with the idea that a manufacturer should be allowed to deactivate a products functionality/access to their network. I think it opens the door to abuse on many different levels.

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafmented View Post
    I don't see how anyone could think this is a good idea. Lots of people could lie and say a phone was stolen when it was sold/honestly lost by the owner. You could apply this sort of 'deactivation/locking' to almost anything these days (computers, televisions, mp3 players, etc), all you'd have to do is have them check in online before allowing it to be used. Seems similar to the whole "DRM" thing everyone is fighting against.

I just don't agree with manufacturer's of products being able to deactivate the products functionality.
    For what purpose would someone report it stolen? Have you even sold anything privately? If so, were you at any time tempted to call the police and report it stolen?

Even if you did, I guess the upside for you would be that a fraudulent police report might result in you getting the money and the goods. Doing to the same with a phone, except just calling to have it blocked, wouldn't benefit you at all. What would the incentive be? A prank?

Besides, with the way Apple is implementing it, the new owner just has to associate the device with their Apple ID and the old owner cannot brick it. It's also only available to be bricked if the owner associates with an Apple ID, so if you don't like Apple being able to brick it, don't enable it.

It's a little different with the carrier-side blocking, but I still don't see the motivation for blocking a phone you have sold...no upside.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    People report telephones they sold as stolen or lost to get money from the sale of the telephone as well as recover from an insurance claim.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    People report telephones they sold as stolen or lost to get money from the sale of the telephone as well as recover from an insurance claim.
    Well, that would be an incentive for reporting it as stolen, or any property I guess. But that wouldn't necessarily lead them to further reporting it as stolen to the carrier or for them to trigger a feature like Find My iPhone to brick the phone. Neither would seem to help them in their quest for fraudulent proceeds.

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Insurance claims for mobile insurance require reporting to the carrier as well as the police if insured through Asurion. That is causing problems with persons who bought telephones in good faith through private sales only to find down the road that the device has been blacklisted. Those people who report the telephone as lost or stolen are doing it due to greed.

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Insurance claims for mobile insurance require reporting to the carrier as well as the police if insured through Asurion. That is causing problems with persons who bought telephones in good faith through private sales only to find down the road that the device has been blacklisted. Those people who report the telephone as lost or stolen are doing it due to greed.
    Ahh, I see. Well, I guess if they've gone that far, you could have them rightful charged with fraud...assuming there a way for you find out who they are.

Phone
    Galaxy S3, Note 2, Bold 9900, Q10
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Used iPhone's are all over the private resale market. I'm sure a lot of honest people have purchased them only to learn that they've been reported lost/stolen. Anyone could buy a used phone that is eventually reported lost/stolen.

I understand that most people wouldn't benefit from reporting a phone as lost/stolen and I'd only purchase a used phone if I personally knew the seller. I've never really had the same worry when it comes to buying a used laptop, since it can't be remotely disabled/prevented from going online/etc...

Phone
    Moto X Pure Edition 32GB 2015
    Carrier
    ex Verizon Wireless - Currently: T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On iOS 7 all you do is restore in tunes still not thief proof.

Fios 1024/1024

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by patt2k View Post
    On iOS 7 all you do is restore in tunes still not thief proof.
    Care to explain how you know they aren't implementing a key feature they've promoted? i.e. the ios7 find my iPhone will specifically not activate if you don't enter the associated ID, with or without a restore. You have a brick unless this can be circumvented.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2