Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

Stolen Iphone 5 question...Could'nt find answer anywhere.

Ok so my sister got her iphone 5 stolen at a party a few days ago. After not finding it she decided to remotely wipe her Iphone. She has already reported it stolen. I wanted to know if the person who took it were to do a factory reset and log onto his itunes, would we be able to see who's itunes the phone used? Even if it was factory restored and linked to a new itunes would we be able to track the thief if he started using wifi? Since the serial number is unique can Apple track when the iphone is is usuing someone elses itunes and then tell us who itunes its using?

From what Ive been reading if the theif does a factory reset he can now use it as his iphone and theres no way for us to track it, please tell me this isnt true!

Thanks for any answers, this is our last hope of finding her iphone.

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Once the iPhone is reset or remotely wiped, it can no longer be tracked using the same Apple ID. If you intend to try to get the telephone back through Find My iPhone, you should not remotely wipe it. You should lock it just in case it is simply misplaced. You should report the telephone lost or stolen so that someone else cannot use the telephone at your expense. In most states the owner is responsible for all usage until you report the loss or theft. Having unlimited voice service does not cover international long distance calls. These are billed in arrears.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Well she had alot of personal info on her phone. (bank app, emails etc) And shes postive it was stolen and not lost thats why she did a wipe.

So the thief can use his own itunes on it now and use it his own phone now? So youre saying once its been reset its basically no longer my sisters phone and the person can use wifi and itunes and never be caught?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes, once remotely wiped it would be like reformatting a computer's hard disk. All data is erased including (but not limited to) applications, email, iTunes account info, previous mobile #, text messages, photos.

The thief would have to setup his own iTunes, wifi networks, phone #, etc. Essentially they would have a fresh device. Cellular providers have started sharing lists of stolen phones, but it isn't 100% foolproof.

Yes, your sister is without a phone and there is almost nothing she can do to prevent someone from using her phone with their own account. Sad but true.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    No help now, but iOS7 might have helped a little in this case. If stolen, even if the thief wipes it, they cannot activate it again with the associated apple ID it was last registered with. With iOS 6, you're basically SOL.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Phone
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier
    T-Mobile (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    thats true im no theif by if i want to use someones iphone i can even with ios 7

Feedback Score
    That was a smart thing to do with remotely wiping the phone. We're so lucky we have the option to do that these days. Although it does seem like she'll have to cut this loss.

Phone
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Apple could track / block stolen iPhones directly at the activation process... But for some unknown reason, they don't want to do it.

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zadigre View Post
    Apple could track / block stolen iPhones directly at the activation process... But for some unknown reason, they don't want to do it.
    iOS7 does exactly that.

Phone
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    iOS7 does exactly that.
    Yes... But it will be done at the phone level. Apple could do it directly on the activation server.

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zadigre View Post
    Yes... But it will be done at the phone level. Apple could do it directly on the activation server.
    It will be at the server level. Even if the phone is wiped and restored, the activation server will not allow activation of the IMEI until authenticated. The only downside is that it is not automatic, in that a user must setup find my iPhone to enable this blocking before losing their phone, but it's the type of feature you want explicit acknowledgement from the user before enabling.

Phone
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If a Spring or Verizon phone is reported stolen the IMEI is blacklisted and will not be activated by the carrier. It's also worth noting that Verizon will never activate a Sprint-branded phone even if Verizon sells the exact same model. Same with Sprint. GSM is more tricky. While the original carrier might blacklist the phone, once unlocked it can usually be activated on a different GSM carrier with no restrictions. Carriers are moving to change this, but for now it's still possible.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Actually, the GSM carrier are starting to share lists of blacklisted (lost/stolen) devices with other carriers. It is still in its infancy but it is happening.

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Actually, the GSM carrier are starting to share lists of blacklisted (lost/stolen) devices with other carriers. It is still in its infancy but it is happening.
    Actually, the [C]EIR/IMEI DB system is pretty well established internationally. It's in it's infancy as far as North American carriers getting on board.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Agreed. Thanks for the further clarification of my point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast