Thread: Anyone still live on iDEN??

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8350i
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL.|Communications
    Feedback Score

Anyone still live on iDEN??

Beep Beep???
    “Right now, I’m glad we have the iDEN network,” Hesse said. “I wouldn’t have said that 18 months ago, but I am now ... from a financial perspective.”

NEXTEL. Done. I guess that's "Life at SprintSpeed"

Feedback Score

Anyone Still Live On iDEN??

I spoke with a friend of mine a couple of days ago and he said iDEN shut down sooner than expected in his area with only a couple of weeks of advance notice.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My neighbors company is still using their iden phones. Guess they're waiting til its shut off. They'll probably be switching to att when that happens.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Well, I WISH I was still on iDEN.

We switched from iDEN to the CDMA side back in March. The CDMA-based Sprint Direct Connect works OK about 50% of the time. The rest of the time, it mysteriously shuts DC off and requires a lot of coaxing (and usually a phone restart) to get it PTT'ing again. Many times, two phones a couple of feet apart, both showing strong CDMA signal and 3G indicator lit up, simply refuse to DC one another. No other action at all going on, the phones are in standby mode (home screen), with no texting, no data, no incoming calls of any kind happening at all, yet they simply refuse to DC. It's maddening.

Truly, Sprint made a major error in choosing to wipe iDEN off the map. They should have forced all voice & data onto CDMA or LTE and kept one iDEN antenna on each tower/cell-site to handle only Direct Connect calls. But no...

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SDC_01 View Post
    Well, I WISH
    Truly, Sprint made a major error in choosing to wipe iDEN off the map. They should have forced all voice & data onto CDMA or LTE and kept one iDEN antenna on each tower/cell-site to handle only Direct Connect calls. But no...
    That wasn't going to work... no way to combine IDEN, LTE and 1xA together in one band without guard bands... plus I'm not sure that the software defined radios in the new equipment could be made to output IDEN (or that Motorola would write such software)

Where I do think they went wrong was trying to combine Nextel way too early... they should have kept everything the way it was, including Nextel stores and separate brands until there was a very compelling solution to move people over (so, about this time last year) then go into a major push of bring the "new" Nextel phones that actually run on CDMA... basically the way that Telus kept Mike completely separate until about 2 years ago. Only thing that would hint at a combined company would have been possibly free Sprint-to-Nextel calling and porting with no ETF between the carriers...

On the network side they could have made damn sure that there was CDMA on *every* nextel site so that Nextel customers would see a net gain is coverage, and not a loss (furthermore, that would have helped Sprint subs as well)... and waited until QChat 2 was ready... not that NV wouldn't have happened, but it would have happened on the backend, and Nextel subs (except for the ones who keep up on such things) would have "life as usual" until it was time to switch over to this brand new network with fast data.

Instead, they tried to merge a brand that had GREAT brand equity into a company with HORRIBLE brand equity... I remember when the merge first happened, they tried to change the message "The Nextel Subscriber you are trying to reach..." to "The Spring Subscriber you are trying to reach.." -- which caused not only an uproar on the boards here (which I figured it would) -- but it caused an uproar with subs--they changed it back very quickly.

So I think there could have been ways to do this without losing so many subs... but keeping IDEN active in any way shape or form isn't one of them...

N

Device(s)
    Kyocera DuraXT-Primary
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL-DONE
    Feedback Score
    Yes,still here with my i580,Brooklyn N.Y.I have moved all my other lines over to DuraXTs,except for my personal line,have gotten TONS of mailings,change over,you are going to lose your number,etc.I really dont believe they will take away your active number, only a threat.Also,I have noticed SDC is still not up to par as iDEN.I bought my DuraXTs on eBay as a precaution, not to be tied into a contract in case I have to bail out of Sprint altogether.Anyway it was a great run,too bad its over,I remember when this forum was SMOKIN HOT!Last one in the room,turn out the lights.I wonder if they will still keep this forum up,even after the shutdown.I think, just for nostalgia's sake and back reference, it will still be up
    Leaving Brooklyn? FUGGEDDABOUDDIT!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    That wasn't going to work... no way to combine IDEN, LTE and 1xA together in one band without guard bands... plus I'm not sure that the software defined radios in the new equipment could be made to output IDEN (or that Motorola would write such software)

Where I do think they went wrong was trying to combine Nextel way too early... they should have kept everything the way it was, including Nextel stores and separate brands until there was a very compelling solution to move people over (so, about this time last year) then go into a major push of bring the "new" Nextel phones that actually run on CDMA... basically the way that Telus kept Mike completely separate until about 2 years ago. Only thing that would hint at a combined company would have been possibly free Sprint-to-Nextel calling and porting with no ETF between the carriers...

On the network side they could have made damn sure that there was CDMA on *every* nextel site so that Nextel customers would see a net gain is coverage, and not a loss (furthermore, that would have helped Sprint subs as well)... and waited until QChat 2 was ready... not that NV wouldn't have happened, but it would have happened on the backend, and Nextel subs (except for the ones who keep up on such things) would have "life as usual" until it was time to switch over to this brand new network with fast data.

Instead, they tried to merge a brand that had GREAT brand equity into a company with HORRIBLE brand equity... I remember when the merge first happened, they tried to change the message "The Nextel Subscriber you are trying to reach..." to "The Spring Subscriber you are trying to reach.." -- which caused not only an uproar on the boards here (which I figured it would) -- but it caused an uproar with subs--they changed it back very quickly.

So I think there could have been ways to do this without losing so many subs... but keeping IDEN active in any way shape or form isn't one of them...

N

I'm guessing that Motorola would have been happy to work with Sprint on ways to make SDR (software defined radio) work with iDEN-like PTT, if that's what it took.

I understand the guard-band issue, but there wasn't that much iDEN bandwidth in the first place, so splitting it up between CDMA and LTE doesn't make all that much sense, either...not much bandwidth got added to CDMA, and certainly half of iDEN's 850-ish MHz doesn't amount to a hill of beans where LTE is concerned—penetration, yes, bandwith contribution to LTE, a pittance.

Maybe if Sprint had kept ownership of ALL of the 850 & 1900 Mhz and 2.5 GHZ bandwidth that Nextel owned, and used it wisely rather than selling the 2.5 GHz portion to Clearwire, I think Sprint could have easily accommodated LTE for data & some backhaul (2.5 GHz), CDMA for voice & fallback data (Sprint's original 1900 MHz PCS spectrum plus the 1900 MHz Nextel brought to the party, plus maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the IDEN 850 MHz for CDMA voice backup), and leave the remaining 1/3 of the original iDEN 850 MHz bandwidth for PTT only. But the main point is, before they squandered it, Sprint had by far & away the best position in spectrum in the US when they combined their original bandwidth with the huge amount of bandwidth that Nextel brought.

Not that iDEN has to be kept alive forever, just until the CDMA or LTE or whatever technology replaces it, can do so without loss of performance or functionality. My personal experience is that Sprint Direct Connect is in no way comparable to Nextel DC yet. When it is working, the speed of SDC is indeed comparable to NDC, but the problem is, SDC is vastly inferior (in our area of California) in terms of making the connections in the first place. And the claims that SDC coverage is 3X greater than NDC coverage, is absolutely, positively, a flat-out LIE. In my experience, SDC's effective coverage is approximately 0.5X what NDC coverage is.

I wholeheartedly agree with your contention that Sprint took the wrong approach WRT Nextel, and the way you describe above is exactly how I would have managed the "merger".

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N977ll View Post
    Yes,still here with my i580,Brooklyn N.Y.I have moved all my other lines over to DuraXTs,except for my personal line,have gotten TONS of mailings,change over,you are going to lose your number,etc.I really dont believe they will take away your active number, only a threat.Also,I have noticed SDC is still not up to par as iDEN.I bought my DuraXTs on eBay as a precaution, not to be tied into a contract in case I have to bail out of Sprint altogether.
    How do you like the DuraXT? I absolutely hate my Duramax due to sound quality and it trying to hold onto Sprint signal even when unusable. My Moto V950 worked so much better and had great sound quality. I miss the Moto phones. I had an i580 for a brief period right after the merger and I enjoyed it and the sound quality. Only got rid of it due to hit and miss coverage in MO and IL.

I wonder if there are some issues with SDC being caused by network vision. Some issues may also be caused from the legacy network being so bogged down. Hopefully once network vision is completed SDC will work better. I don't use SDC I just need the rugged bit.

Device(s)
    Lg flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score

nextel

you can bet when they shut the phones off, you will lose your number. once shut off they are under no obligation to restore the service and if you have a number you love it will be gone.

I am a former sprint employee and you have been given more than enough time to change over to sprint from nextel and please do not flood the call center with whining about I need my phone.

I am glad I am not there now...I can see a flood of calls from customers who did not listen nor read the writing on the wall.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser09 View Post
    How do you like the DuraXT? I absolutely hate my Duramax due to sound quality and it trying to hold onto Sprint signal even when unusable. My Moto V950 worked so much better and had great sound quality. I miss the Moto phones. I had an i580 for a brief period right after the merger and I enjoyed it and the sound quality. Only got rid of it due to hit and miss coverage in MO and IL.

I wonder if there are some issues with SDC being caused by network vision. Some issues may also be caused from the legacy network being so bogged down. Hopefully once network vision is completed SDC will work better. I don't use SDC I just need the rugged bit.

yea i loved the old school moto phones...i had the V950 it was awesome phone (i had to swap my phone about 7 times before i got a good working one, something with the software was really messed up)....i was really looking forward seeing a new moto Nextel style PTT phone for sprints new SDC but i dont think it will happen...we keep getting crappy kyocera phones which are junk! sprint really needs to stay away from kyocera

Device(s)
    Kyocera DuraXT-Primary
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL-DONE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by likeitmatters View Post
    you can bet when they shut the phones off, you will lose your number. once shut off they are under no obligation to restore the service and if you have a number you love it will be gone.

I am a former sprint employee and you have been given more than enough time to change over to sprint from nextel and please do not flood the call center with whining about I need my phone.

I am glad I am not there now...I can see a flood of calls from customers who did not listen nor read the writing on the wall.

I think you are a current Sprint employee monitoring this forum.NO WAY with all the competition out there from other carriers, will you LOSE YOUR NUMBER because THEY wanted to shut a network down.The only scenario a see is that you dont pay for the service,THEN you lose your right to the number OR BOOST prepaid where if you dont port your number to CDMA,them you lose the number.I also think that after June 30th the service will still work.They are using threats to get everyone off.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N977ll View Post
    I also think that after June 30th the service will still work.They are using threats to get everyone off.
    I think that you're incorrect.
    Thrill me...

Device(s)
    Kyocera DuraXT-Primary
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL-DONE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
    I think that you're incorrect.
    lLets see after June 30th, Im sure this thread will still be open.But I already have my Dura XT, will be switching over before then.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yep, we shall see in a few weeks...

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    At the end of the first quarter Sprint lost -771,000 iDEN subscribers, there was a total of 1,315,000 iDEN subscribers left (postpaid+prepaid).

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-rele...13-results.htm

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast