Thread: kijiji ad about taking over the contract - is it safe?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question kijiji ad about taking over the contract - is it safe?

Hello, everyone

I have about 18months left in my rogers contract

and I wont be able to continue using Rogers very soon

so I was thinking about finding someone who wants to take over my contract

my contract is not so bad

about $55 for 1gb data, 200min. weekdays (6pm and weekend free), my 10, etc.

I found someone who posted on Kijiji about taking over the contract

so I contacted him and he simply said okay.

However, after I got "okay" email from him, I checked my rogers and found out that I have a surplus of $170

it turned out that my roommate paid my bill thinking it was hers and now I have credit of $170

my roommate went back to bank and transferred the money

but it still shows up in my online bill

since I want to make sure everything is fine
    I asked him if he can wait and explained him why I need to delay this

well he was not really responding to my explanation and it seemed like he wanted to proceed anyway

so I told him that if he can't wait maybe he should find other contract to take over

and he simply replied that he will wait.

the strange things about this is that

first, he told me he was looking for a plan for his sister
    and now he said his mother took care of his sister's
    and his roommate can take it over for him

second thing is that
    I went back to kijiji and search the word "rogers contract take over"
    and there are several ads about taking over rogers contracts
    when I see all these ads, it seems like same person post same ads over and over.

so my question is

could it be a scam????

if it is a scam, how will it affect me??

I just want to be safe.

Please give your opinion, advice...

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm in Winnipeg, and I saw a few of those 'Rogers Contract Takeover' stuff too. His story was that he just came from some southeastern country in Asia, and he needed a cell phone contract for his boyfriend or something. He changed his name three times, and he gave me three different names during the entire email conversation. It sounded way too fishy for me to risk my account.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for sharing your experience with me!

I decided not to hand over my contract to the person.

I was told that after the contract is handed over to someone else,

it is out of my hands, not my responsibility anymore.

I just don't understand how taking over someone's contract can be a scam....

any thought?

Quote Originally Posted by brianlim02 View Post
    I'm in Winnipeg, and I saw a few of those 'Rogers Contract Takeover' stuff too. His story was that he just came from some southeastern country in Asia, and he needed a cell phone contract for his boyfriend or something. He changed his name three times, and he gave me three different names during the entire email conversation. It sounded way too fishy for me to risk my account.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by gogo_monkeys View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience with me!

I decided not to hand over my contract to the person.

I was told that after the contract is handed over to someone else,

it is out of my hands, not my responsibility anymore.

I just don't understand how taking over someone's contract can be a scam....

any thought?
    That's exactly what I thought, and I still don't know how. If everything did go well and they take over the contract, I could pretty much get a brand new smartphone, sell it, and continue to use my relatively new smartphone with no changes. I can't even think of how they can benefit off of taking someone's cell phone contract. Regardless, I just didn't want to do it because of how fishy it was.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brianlim02 View Post
    That's exactly what I thought, and I still don't know how. If everything did go well and they take over the contract, I could pretty much get a brand new smartphone, sell it, and continue to use my relatively new smartphone with no changes. I can't even think of how they can benefit off of taking someone's cell phone contract. Regardless, I just didn't want to do it because of how fishy it was.
    I have never taken over a contract myself or transferred mine to someone else but I do remember reading somewhere that even when one transferred account to a second person, the original account holder is still liable if the second person defaults on the account.

If you google 'rogers take over contract' you will see people reported being chased by rogers when the second person did cancellation or don't pay their bills - this is despite rogers csr initially saying the original account holder is no longer liable after the Transfer. The original account holder is like a co-signer and is responsible if the second account holder defaults on account.

It does sound fishy if your plan is only average or if there are currently more attractive promo plans available and they still prefer to take over your contract without asking for your phone.

If the second account holder takes out a brand new phone and then disappears the original account holder is liable. Or they can rack up a big roaming voice and data bill or long distance calls. The scammer can give fake/photoshopped ID when doing TOR.

Don't just take the words of the rogers csr - even if you record the conversation it is a lot of hassle to spend a lot of time to keep escalating to get them to honour what their csr said. Check the fine prints in the rogers TOR terms and condition before you proceed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Warning about this...
    and warning about kijiji from people who offer to cancel your contract for 50 $ ...
    This is scam ... use false id ... etc... warning !

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So the moral of the story is that it's not a good idea to sell or give away your contract to someone you don't know?

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Never had a Problem. Carrier does a Credit check and if passed a TOR is finalized, its between the carrier and new Customer. Only Issues might be corporate plans with suggested entitlements.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It will probably work without issues

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No fear
    1- If legit plan transfers and you are clear
    2- If scam the plan gets cancelled and the fake ID has a huge bill so you are clear
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    No fear
    1- If legit plan transfers and you are clear
    2- If scam the plan gets cancelled and the fake ID has a huge bill so you are clear
    I see people are willing to cancel even a 2-3 days old activation. Yet the site claims in order for a TOR to happen you need to wait minimum 60 days from activation. Any idea how this is possible? It seems fishy I'm jus wondering what benefit the other person has, I can't really draw a picture of it. How are the carriers even allowing this to be posted?