Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ontario reintroduces cellphone consumer protection bill

Feedback Score

Ontario reintroduces cellphone consumer protection bill

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...rotection.html

I thought I was blunt when I referred to the big players as a cartel.
    One fellow referred them as phone mafia - that I have to say is a good one

Daniel

p.s. I really like the approach of T Mobile in selling their phone like this (HTC One)
    $99 down + $20.00 per month for 24 months
    or total price $579.99

Feedback Score
    From CBC:

" Allow consumers to cancel a wireless agreement at any time by giving notice to the provider. Cancellation fees would be limited to 10 per cent of outstanding services to a maximum of $50 and a proportion of the discount consumers received on their phone when signing their contract."

That would be amazing. Think of all the churn.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't sound that amazing, a proportion of the subsidy is already what you have to pay now with the big three: months left/months total on contract x subsidy, pretty simple. And there's the tab subsidies which are usually a percentage of your phone bill going towards the subsidy.

This bill won't magically make it so you can buy a phone on contract and cancel right away without paying a large cancellation fee (depending on subsidy).

Sent from my SGH-I717D using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I would imagine the NDP will support this bill if not the PCs, so there is enough support for it to pass. The question is simply whether it would get signed into law before an election.

The only reason it died last time was because Dalton McGuinty prorogued the Legislature abruptly to resign.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjiro View Post
    Doesn't sound that amazing, a proportion of the subsidy is already what you have to pay now with the big three: months left/months total on contract x subsidy, pretty simple. And there's the tab subsidies which are usually a percentage of your phone bill going towards the subsidy.
    Isn't that a better way to show (instead of to hide) the cost of the phone by listing the upfront total or payment installment term?
    [[[I really like the approach of T Mobile in selling their phone like this (HTC One)
    $99 down + $20.00 per month for 24 months or total price $579.99
    ]]
    The subsidy is a misnomer already.

Daniel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtong22 View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...rotection.html

I thought I was blunt when I referred to the big players as a cartel.
    One fellow referred them as phone mafia - that I have to say is a good one

Daniel

p.s. I really like the approach of T Mobile in selling their phone like this (HTC One)
    $99 down + $20.00 per month for 24 months
    or total price $579.99
    So... you post a great article, and your only takeaway is name calling words that weren't in your vocabulary before? Great.

Now for the main points:
    Require wireless providers to clearly explain all aspects of billing in plain language, including:
    • what services are included for a monthly fee and what services would result in added costs;
    • the retail value and actual cost to the consumer of a discounted phone that comes with a fixed-term contract;
    • how roaming costs are calculated;
    • how cancellation fees are calculated.
    Seriously, this is already being done at least by 2 of the big 3, and mostly by the remaining one who hasn't done so yet.

Ban automatic renewal of contracts and require consent for any changes to a contract beforehand.
    This one should have been always a given. How was this not in the existing consumer protection rights anyways?
    Require the all-inclusive, total monthly cost to be the most prominent piece of information shown in an advertisement.
    With nearly every dumb hidden fee gone, this comes a little too late.
    Allow consumers to cancel a wireless agreement at any time by giving notice to the provider. Cancellation fees would be limited to 10 per cent of outstanding services to a maximum of $50 and a proportion of the discount consumers received on their phone when signing their contract.
    This is in place at Rogers and TELUS already.... did they write these guidelines?
    Ban wireless providers from charging consumers for services they can't access while their phone is being repaired under warranty.
    This is odd, who doesn't take a loaner?
    Ensure that customers are not billed for charges incurred after they report their phone lost or stolen.
    common courtesy, however, I imagine every carrier has accommodated this in the event of theft, provided with a police report.
    Allow customers to cancel their agreement within a year of signing and get a full refund if wireless companies don't abide by all the rules in the legislation.
    Better be a very specific and "plain language" legislation if people like dtong are going to be involved... wouldn't want more given-but-with-held informations he lies about.

If everyone likes these policies, then why hate the incumbents? I believe people here really want a consumer-protection on their wallets. This stuff doesn't solve much for that problem.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Isn't that a better way to show (instead of to hide) the cost of the phone by listing the upfront total or payment installment term?
    [[[I really like the approach of T Mobile in selling their phone like this (HTC One)
    $99 down + $20.00 per month for 24 months or total price $579.99
    ]]
    The subsidy is a misnomer already.

Daniel
    Go on any of the carriers site and look at their phones, give me one example where they don't show the outright price. If you can do basic math outright price minus upfront cost equals subsidy.

Feedback Score
    Go on any of the carriers site and look at their phones, give me one example where they don't show the outright price. If you can do basic math outright price minus upfront cost equals subsidy.

Ready for face palming Sanjiro?

He lives in an alternate universe but somehow has internet access that allows him to post here. It's the only conclusion I can think of after he keeps repeating his insistent lies.

Oh and your employee welcome kit is in the lunch room, he's going to self-appoint you as an employee of an incumbent soon too if you go further.

Feedback Score
    I sense a flame war coming on...

Feedback Score
    http://www.fido.ca/web/content/catalogue/iphones
    This is a typically confusing one off the bat (from one of the clone-Fido).
    As I said earlier the alternative as shown by T Mobile would have been a lot easier to understand. Separate the purchase from the service contract and list it (1) purchase price &/or (2) payment instalment would have been clearer to every party including the most gullible Canadians.
    BTW subsidy is a misnomer designed from scratch to confuse people. If it is not a charity do not list any item as subsidy.

Daniel

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMSTR View Post
    I sense a flame war coming on...
    No dtong22 doesn't flame he just comes back and repeats himself incessantly thinking each time he does he makes more sense and you are slow or inept. It's comedy gold really.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    As I said earlier the alternative as shown by T Mobile would have been a lot easier to understand. Separate the purchase from the service contract and list it (1) purchase price &/or (2) payment instalment would have been clearer to every party including the most gullible Canadians.
    BTW subsidy is a misnomer designed from scratch to confuse people. If it is not a charity do not list any item as subsidy.

Daniel

Well this is awkward, T-Mobile was found to be deceptive in their advertising of no-contracts.... the attorney general in the states disagress with you to say the least.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/25/...offer-refunds/

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Daniel
    Fair enough, they do not have the outright price for the iPhones, but they also do not allow you to buy online (or outright as far as I can tell), so in order to get the phone you'd have to go to a dealer and sign up for for a 3 year agreement where the conditions and terms would be presented to you. For all the other phones on their where you can order online, they show you the outright price.

With the outright price of the iPhones so high they might not show it on their site for fear of scaring off customers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendenzi View Post
    Well this is awkward, T-Mobile was found to be deceptive in their advertising of no-contracts.... the attorney general in the states disagress with you to say the least.
    That is diversionary. You do not challenge (you cannot) the simple language of device (cell) sale - sale price or payment instalment . Yet you choose to attack T Mobile's other deceptive ad. That is fine with me entirely as I am against ad deception.

Daniel

Feedback Score
    That is diversionary.
    You brought up T-Mobile, if anything is diversionary (another word you use wrong) it's your posts. Take it up with yourself.
    You do not challenge (you cannot) the simple language of device (cell) sale - sale price or payment instalment . Yet you choose to attack T Mobile's other deceptive ad. That is fine with me entirely as I am against ad deception. Daniel
    I didn't choose anything, you have a problem with deception, and are okay with T-Mobile. I simply presented you with the conundrum.

I don't need to discuss T-Mobile or choose to discuss their business here in the WIND forum, much has already been said how their device payment option isn't really saving anyone time and money. But thats for another forum. Welcome to the WIND forum... I do try to keep it relevant to here most times. Other times I'm just replying to you and a few others.

Not to mention you've successfully gone off topic from your own topic, of which wasn't really great since you didn't comprehend anything other than a lame comment in the article you linked to.

Good job.

Why don't you decidedly choose to reply to my first comment in here where I referred back to the article and how there isn't much being introduced to ontario that isn't being practiced already, or are for very small situational items.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast