Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheap-o Smartphones

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

Cheap-o Smartphones

Considering there are countless smartphones for sale online (5 inch screen, android 4.1.1 for like $60) that work perfectly fine on Rogers and all that, does anyone know of some Cheap-o Smartphones that work with Wind?

My searches show the cheapest phones being sold by Huawei. I'm looking for a phone with a lesser name brand then Huawei. I'm talking name brands like Ainol, allwinner, MID, star, or noname.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    No way you can get anything good for $60. And no, you're not going to find a lesser known brand than Huawei - the only reason anyone knows them is because they make AWS phones.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh, I see. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rich96 View Post
    Considering there are countless smartphones for sale online (5 inch screen, android 4.1.1 for like $60) that work perfectly fine on Rogers and all that, does anyone know of some Cheap-o Smartphones that work with Wind?
    5 inches screen $60 smart phone from Rogers? You forgot that you pay an extra $20/mth (about) for the phone for 3 yrs!!
    I think your best bet for a decent smartphone is in craiglist/ebay. But they are hit and miss

Daniel

Device(s)
    Samsung S10+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    No way you can get anything good for $60. And no, you're not going to find a lesser known brand than Huawei - the only reason anyone knows them is because they make AWS phones.
    Not true. Maybe the only reason we've heard of them is because of WIND but they're pretty big in Europe and massive in Asia and Africa. I think they have a pretty decent market share in South America too. If it wasn't for the US government being all protectionist and paranoid, they'd be bigger in North America too. They actually make not bad phones.

To the OP, I doubt you're going to find anything worthwhile under $150 TBH. I would look at ZTE and Huawei.

Feedback Score
    I believe the OP is referring to phones like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Trendy-Multi-...ht_7930wt_1159

Unfortunately, AWS isn't used much in their home market, so there aren't many, if any at all, that support AWS bands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    Not true. Maybe the only reason we've heard of them is because of WIND but they're pretty big in Europe and massive in Asia and Africa. I think they have a pretty decent market share in South America too. If it wasn't for the US government being all protectionist and paranoid, they'd be bigger in North America too. They actually make not bad phones.

To the OP, I doubt you're going to find anything worthwhile under $150 TBH. I would look at ZTE and Huawei.
    Anybody who knows anything about the Chinese gov't knows that the American t concerns over them are completely valid. I'm hoping our gov't will do the same and ban their equipment from Canadian telecom. The Chinese have proven to be untrustworthy friends.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMSTR View Post
    Anybody who knows anything about the Chinese gov't knows that the American t concerns over them are completely valid. I'm hoping our gov't will do the same and ban their equipment from Canadian telecom. The Chinese have proven to be untrustworthy friends.
    If Huawei equipment is banned, there goes Wind's network. But realistically, I don't see the big deal with the US government being so worried about their equipment, Huawei is cooperating with the investigations and have offered to release the source code for their equipment.

IMO the main reason that the US is worried about Huawei and ZTE is that they have considerable market share and can provide equipment of similar quality to what's available from US/Western companies for considerably less.

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by therfman View Post
    I believe the OP is referring to phones like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Trendy-Multi-...ht_7930wt_1159

Unfortunately, AWS isn't used much in their home market, so there aren't many, if any at all, that support AWS bands.
    AWS isn't used at all in their home market.
    Phones using: Honor Play 6GB 128GB,wife using LG G7 One, son using iPhone XR,daughter using iPhone XR, Youngest son using Xiaomi Redmi 5.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Overall, just remember that you get what you pay for. Cheap phones are just that... cheap phones.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using HowardForums
    Rome wasn't built in a day, but if Wind was the builder, it would still be under construction.

Device(s)
    Samsung S10+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMSTR View Post
    What proof did the US government come up with? Absolutely none, and they admitted as much (in the end). Their accusations of espionage and direct links back to the Chinese government were based on nothing more than rumour and conjecture. They had the might of the CIA and at least one other covert organisation behind them, yet they couldn't come up with a shred of evidence to link Huawei to anything they were accusing them of. There was a comment from one of the CIA officers involved during the hearings, where he clearly stated that they had no evidence but had let "the theory take over the case". They went out of their way to prove a theory true, ignoring all the evidence otherwise, and basically convinced themselves Huawei were up to no good.

Admittedly the Chinese government are tyrants, but the US government is not to be trusted either. Fear wrapped up in patriotism.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The USA is trying to stop China from becoming another force to reckon with, even though i would say they are already.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    Admittedly the Chinese government are tyrants, but the US government is not to be trusted either. Fear wrapped up in patriotism.
    Which government can be trusted? None.

Device(s)
    Huawei Mate 20 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Zoomer Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclearbroccoli View Post
    Overall, just remember that you get what you pay for. Cheap phones are just that... cheap phones.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using HowardForums
    I used both Huawei Ascend P1 and Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Other than the screen size and removable battery, P1 outperformd the GN in every aspect.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sable View Post
    I used both Huawei Ascend P1 and Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Other than the screen size and removable battery, P1 outperformd the GN in every aspect.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using HowardForums
    the huawei ascend P1 isn't cheap. I believe he meant the phones like the one in the link provided above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast