Thread: Stock Nexus 4 on Wind Review

Device(s)
    Blackberry KEYone, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpieFiend View Post
    Obvious troll is obvious...
    How...? I didn't diss WIND in any way, shape, or form nor did I promote another service or product (I was simply stating what phone I'm using). I commented b/c I wanted to show support for a fellow ex-Mobi subscriber who also used the Lumia 710 + BB 9300, and lives in YVR.

He took the time to write a thorough review, so I'm guessing he'd appreciate a little support.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I didn't see anything that seemed trollish about it either. Obviously not obvious.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Signal strength is about as low as I'd be willing to go on Wind. While I wasn't using them side by side, I don't think the Nexus 4 was quite as good as my Lumia 710 in this department. It definitely wasn't as good as my girlfriend's Dell Venue Pro (which was also just a little better than my Lumia 710). At the same time, since I spent almost all my time in areas where Wind has good coverage (Downtown Vancouver), I didn't notice any unacceptable signal loss.
    Honestly didn't read the entire thing, because its way too long and I don't care that much, but I would like to point out one thing about "signal strength".... you can't compare the reported values from one phone to the next, since they're interpreted on a scale designed specifically for that phone. In other words, 1 bar of signal strength on a nexus 4 may be a better signal that full bars on a [insert name of some other phone to compare]. The key is basically that you aren't losing signal. Zero bars showing, but not disconnected, is generally still connected and working. As long as the signal makes it through, you're good to go. If it starts actually disconnecting from too weak of a signal, then you've got problems.

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView, LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Signal strength is about as low as I'd be willing to go on Wind. While I wasn't using them side by side, I don't think the Nexus 4 was quite as good as my Lumia 710 in this department. It definitely wasn't as good as my girlfriend's Dell Venue Pro (which was also just a little better than my Lumia 710). At the same time, since I spent almost all my time in areas where Wind has good coverage (Downtown Vancouver), I didn't notice any unacceptable signal loss.
    I'm in a "fringe" WIND reception area, and didn't really notice worse actual signal with the Nexus 4 -- calls still came through and I noticed no (additional) degradation of call quality. This was in comparison with a Nokia Lumia 710 and a Nokia 808 PureView.

Sound quality was fine, whenever Wind provided a good signal. There were cases of garbled voice, one way sound, echoes and the like that have been around since Wind launched, but hanging up and calling again would solve that. I didn't notice any problems that I would attribute to the Nexus 4 rather than Wind, at the same time it didn't seem like a step up from the Lumia 710 or the Curve 9300. Another mark of just OK.
    One thing I found the Nexus 4 really bad at is when it comes to picking up a low voice in a quiet room -- i.e. I have to speak up in order to be heard. Another interesting thing is that the official bumper seems to be responsible for about half of the issue.

One more thing I would add - the whole phone seemed shoddily designed. The screen would make this crackling sound when held close to the ear (something I noticed I'm especially sensitive to, compared to other people) and speaker audio quality suffered from equal distortions.

If I had to sum up my Nexus 4 experience in one sentence it would be: barely-good enough phone, but really good entertainment device. I went back to my 808 which is leaps and bounds better as a phone and camera (though it lags in pretty much everything else)
    Past: Panasonic TX310, Siemens S40, Siemens A56, Nokia 6620, Nokia E71, Nokia 5230, Nokia C7-00 Belle
    Present: Nokia Lumia 710, Nokia 808 Pureview, LG Nexus 4

Device(s)
    Nokia 5110, Samsung SGH-P207, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D-3vil View Post
    I'm in a "fringe" WIND reception area, and didn't really notice worse actual signal with the Nexus 4 -- calls still came through and I noticed no (additional) degradation of call quality. This was in comparison with a Nokia Lumia 710 and a Nokia 808 PureView.

One thing I found the Nexus 4 really bad at is when it comes to picking up a low voice in a quiet room -- i.e. I have to speak up in order to be heard. Another interesting thing is that the official bumper seems to be responsible for about half of the issue.

One more thing I would add - the whole phone seemed shoddily designed. The screen would make this crackling sound when held close to the ear (something I noticed I'm especially sensitive to, compared to other people) and speaker audio quality suffered from equal distortions.

If I had to sum up my Nexus 4 experience in one sentence it would be: barely-good enough phone, but really good entertainment device. I went back to my 808 which is leaps and bounds better as a phone and camera (though it lags in pretty much everything else)
    Can't say that I've had any of these issues using the official bumper as well. If your having headset/mic issues I'd RMA.

Feedback Score
    One thing I'd like to add is that I think that the Nexus 4 has improved a great deal since the 4.2.2 update. Its very stable now whereas before apps like the Play Store would hang at a 100% CPU turning my Nexus 4 into a pocket heater. You can finally install facebook without screwing with your data or wifi connection and the photos are actually very nice now as opposed to the grey dark photos it used to produce. So things have gotten a lot better. I still hate the inconsistent user interface and the choppy scrolling and that it doesn't read text messages over Bluetooth by default , but I expect things to get even better in the future.

However, microphone, speaker, and reception are all just average and not as good as the Lumia 710 was. Though the Lumia 710 also had issues such a cheap squeaky body, a screen which was a fingerprint magnet, and an unlock screen which was way too easy to unlock usually resulting in unlocking in your pocket and dialing the last phone number in your dialing history.

I still think both phones are great value for the money though there's no perfect phone. It's just a matter of what you're looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 rooted running custom ROM, LG V20 bog stock (no root alas :-( )
    Carrier(s)
    Wind (Mobilicity before December/14)
    Feedback Score
    Interesting opinions in this thread, especially the OP. I rooted my Nexus 4 within an hour of unboxing it. That's just the way I roll . I have no problems with battery life, but I use a root app called Autostarts that prevents apps from starting on their own unless I allow it. It's one of the many, many advantages to having a rooted phone. I agree with those who say task killer apps have little or no effect. I'm currently running the Whitehawkx builds of the AOKP ROM. Like the Galaxy Nexus and previous Nexus phones, the choice of ROMs for the N4 is amazing. There's no reason to suffer with stock unless it's perfect for you.

I don't consider my Nexus 4 to be any harder to use one handed than the Galaxy Nexus I had before. The problem with it is not the size (it's barely wider than the GN) but the flat glass back which I find very slippery when using it one handed. I bought a plastic back-and-sides case for my N4 that makes it a lot more grippable one handed. Problem solved, although it's a shame to hide that nifty iridescent glass back. I have average sized hands, by the way, and my fingers are on the stubby side.

Radio ability of the N4 is fine (note: I'm using mine on Mobi, not Wind). It seems to lock on a bit faster than my Galaxy Nexus did. The display is amazing. I don't think most reviews of the N4 capture just how good the display is. It puts my Nexus 7 tablet and previous Nexus phones (Samsungs with AMOLED) to shame. And the Qualcomm quad-core krait processor is a beast. It feels in a different class than my (Nvidia quad core) Nexus 7.

I still think the N4 is an unbeatable value at its price point. You can get a better phone, but for more money - often a lot more.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have nothing negative to say about my Nexus 4 on Wind except that it takes forever to connect back to wind after losing signal at the underground granville skytrain station. I bought a bumper off ebay. Don't like the bulky cases that covers the back. The screen size is absolute perfect. Not too big and not too small. Everything running smoothly on stock firmware. I have no intent to flash any custom roms. No reason for me to. Just like it the way it is. This phone is just so smooth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2