Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Are you feeling forced to keep Verizon?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    A few months ago he was happy as a lark when Verizon launched their LTE service around Rapid City and he posted each and every detail about the launch. I guess they haven't beefed it up and expanded it fast enough to suit him and he sounds very bitter about it. Oh well, welcome to the real world, buddy.
    It launched Feb. 2012. How is that a few months ago? Get your facts straight. Since then I have also stated multiple times how the coverage and quality has degraded. Its now 3G in areas that used to be strong 4G. Feel free to explain that. The connection many times just hangs and even drops to 3G in strong 4G areas too. And I'm not the only one with these issues. So should we all still be happy here about that?

Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    I guess all of that native LTE will just vanish? Too funny
    You obviously have no clue on this area. There is SOME native coverage. But its not that good on the western side of the state. Look at the maps a little closer and you'll see that. And there are plenty of dead spots in supposedly strong coverage areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    It launched Feb. 2012. How is that a few months ago? Get your facts straight. .
    I know when it was, I remember reading your posts regarding the launch. No need to get all bent out of shape over the semantics of "a few months". In some instances, 14 months could be considered "few" and "coming soon" can mean 2-3 years.

I'm sorry your service has degraded or is not as ubiquitous yet as you thought it would be. It's OK to be upset, nothing wrong with that at all, keep after them, even though they might have stopped returning your emails or phone calls after a certain point or number of them. Fact is, Verizon is not finished with the system yet and probably won't be for a while yet. Same thing is going on all over the country. Things might get better next week or next year, but hang in there, it's "coming soon". lol

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    Phone service will vanish if what he says is accurate and they rely on roaming from their towers for 3g.... So no... it isn't funny.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
    The towers that provide LTE don't also have 3G? Doom and gloom aside we shall see in a few weeks

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    To try and get this thread back on topic , it does have an interesting premise speaking for myself I cannot picture going with any other carrier. Verizon gives me service almost everywhere I go. So that said, I guess I am forced to keep it in that regard to maintain my stellar coverage. Now am I really forced? No of course not, but am I? Yes. Because the other carriers are inferior IMHO, so why go with them? Only if I want to settle. I choose not to settle. What good is a service that doesn't work where you need it? No much. So why pay for that? No desire. So yep I'm forced to keep Verizon if I want to use my phone where I hang my hat.
    Side note: FWIW, I have used all the various service providers at one time or another and Verizon is the best where I've been.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

Are you feeling forced to keep Verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    The towers that provide LTE don't also have 3G? Doom and gloom aside we shall see in a few weeks
    Did you read my post regarding inter-market roaming? Do yourself a favor and read it again.

If you want to speak of what's going on, it would help to understand your subject matter. I live in Southern Illinois, an area where intermarket roaming still exists due to ATN owned Alltel. Whitetigergrowl lives in South Dakota, an area where AT&T, the purchaser of the western Alltel divestures, has opted not to maintain the intermarket roaming agreement because they want to shut down a duplicate proprietary standard their customers do not use. You live in Salt Lake City where you don't have to worry about this. Good for you. Well, here's a news flash, you still need CDMA for voice, and we still have to worry about it when intermarket roaming still exists.

Try to learn something. Or at least try to figure out what's going on from those who live in affected areas. Get it? Got it? Good.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I think verizon gets it more than the other carriers in the fact that a mobile phone should be able to be used remotely and from a mobile perspective. Ive blasted verizon for their prices and some of their not so friendly policies but when it comes down to it, their phones do seem to work in more places, with att in a close second. I consider att and vz a near tie in most places with vz having some rural advantage in some spots. Im hoping att takes rural more serious than they used to so time will tell.
    Last edited by themanhimself; 05-02-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you fraydog. You nailed it.

When I go to MN it's not bad. Iffy in spots but it works decent. Going through North Dakota is a whole other beast. That nice solid red line through the state is far from it. Far more dead spots than I can count. And the western side of the state where the oil boom is explosive? I dropped tons of calls there and when I called Verizon about it, they verified the problems and noticed it. A week later they announced 4G was going live there.

I was also well aware of the oil boom and the impact it was having on the western side of ND when I went through. It got so bad I just gave up and told the people I was trying to talk to I would just wait till I got to MN. Which I did. Verizon said their data growth there was about 130% and voice was 75%.

And as I have said before, I'm well aware of the rapid growth in the Black Hills too because of the oil boom. As we are one of the primary routes to it amongst many other things. Plus there has been an increase in tourism here too. The Black Hills region is the fastest growing part of South Dakota. Is it explosive growth? No. Not yet. But it certainly is heading that way rather quickly. And getting rather close. For multiple reasons.

And before 4G went live here 3G averaged between 500kbps and 1mbps if you were lucky. Was I excited when 4G went live? Yeah. Why wouldn't I be. I wanted to see what the hubbub was all about. Within 6 months of it going live I started to notice I wasn't getting 4G where I used to. I and others also started to notice 4-5 bars of signal strength in town but the 4G would hang. Sometimes reboots of the phone helped, sometimes it didn't. And even yesterday I had another voicemail and no missed calls. And yes it was a direct dial to me.

Long story short the western side of SD has ALWAYS been a weak spot for Verizon coverage. The east side is ok. But the west side, forget about it. I can tell you from experience there are plenty of places on their map of western SD that show good native coverage that simply isn't. Or it's dead. The more you zoom in on the map the more you notice some of that too.

Long story short, I live, work and play here. I deal with these issues on an almost daily basis with other people. And the fact even the area Verizon rep has acknowledged these issues says something. It's not just me. If you're traveling through you may not notice it as much. If at all. But its certainly becoming more and more of an issue. And not just for me.

As for JD Power lets see what some of the employees have to say about the place. No wonder they haven't won themselves any awards.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/J-D...iews-E5745.htm

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/01...r/#more-106793

This is the same Kellex who was Verizon for life up to recently. Now you're seeing "you haven't released a decent smartphone this year."

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/01...r/#more-106793

This is the same Kellex who was Verizon for life up to recently. Now you're seeing "you haven't released a decent smartphone this year."
    Some people just aren't happy unless there's a new "god-phone" coming out every single week. Buy one today and it's obsolete, uncool and passé next week. If you have plenty of money to blow on phones, that's fine I guess. To each his own.

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread moved
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Some things I dislike about vz, i mean really dislike, and every time i think about bailing on them and telling them to shove it, theres one thing that keeps me hanging on: Their phones seem to be able to at least give me voice service pretty much wherever i go. Ive always said if i was on a dark des road with nobody around for miles, my first choice in cell service would be verizon. If im stuck out in the middle of nowhere data wont be very important like a voice call would be and vz comes through on that very nicely.

Just wish they were cheaper but i guess you get what you pay for in situations like that.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Pretty much. With unlimited having gone the way of the dodo I feel trapped. AT&T has 4G here but I'd be on a tiered plan. Even with my discount I'm at almost $200 for three phones.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately for me, VZW is the only carrier in my area that doesn't 'provide' dropped calls like it's a feature hence I'm stuck with them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Don't tell me you honestly believe the crap you're spewing. Seriously? Have you been to most areas in America to validate that claim? Or are you just spewing personal propaganda? What do you have to validate that claim beyond personal opinion?

Remember Verizon used to be 2nd behind ATT in terms of subscribers until they bought out ALLTEL up till just a handful of years ago. There would be no close 2nd place with ATT if you were right. Why have another carrier if Verizon was really all that?

Please, show me how Verizon has become pro-consumer in terms of what they offer consumers and pricing, and have really improved their network and coverage beyond LTE.

The beautiful thing is Verizon loves people like you that honestly believe that. They will take more of your money, give you less in return, and you'll go right along with it happily because you honestly believe that. Not once did I lose coverage with ATT traveling across the Dakotas to MN. With Verizon I have numerous times even though their coverage map shows strong service all along the way.

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
    Verizon is the largest and most reliable network in the US. AT&T is crap. "Failed" calls over and over. Dropped calls. It is crap , at least around my neck of the woods . The vast majority within a 250 mile radius of where I live use Verizon. I stand by what I say . If you love AT&T good. It's crap in my area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jillxz View Post
    Verizon is the largest and most reliable network in the US. AT&T is crap. "Failed" calls over and over. Dropped calls. It is crap , at least around my neck of the woods . The vast majority within a 250 mile radius of where I live use Verizon. I stand by what I say . If you love AT&T good. It's crap in my area.
    Be careful what you wish for. CDMA tends to hold onto calls better than gsm/WCDMA.

Att network uses WCDMA for both calls and data. Att got hammered during the smartphone data boom 2008-2011. More smartphone data usage competing for same WCDMA as voice calls means over loaded network and dropped calls.

With lte expanding calls dropping much less cause more data users on lte network while calls still on WCDMA/HSPA.

Verizon never had this problem cause CDMA can't do voice and data at the same time.

And verizon has been using cdma/lte seperately the past 2.5 years.

It's going to be interesting with Voice over LTE with Verizon. ATT with also use same Voice over LTE.

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5