Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mobility Administrative Fee

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I am not arguing with you. That was the next place to add a reply. Based upon your previous posts in this forum and elsewhere, worse things have happened to you than the addition of a $0.61 fee but you are apparently still with AT&T Mobility. If not, you do not have a dog in this fight.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score

Materially Adverse

Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    One would have to show a MATERIALLY ADVERSE effect from 61˘. Can anyone do that?
    .61 a month for a year is $7.32 or about equal to two gallons of gas. Next time you are filling up your car and someone comes up to you asking if you could put two gallons in their tank so they can go to work, that is AT&T asking you.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminull View Post
    .61 a month for a year is $7.32 or about equal to two gallons of gas. Next time you are filling up your car and someone comes up to you asking if you could put two gallons in their tank so they can go to work, that is AT&T asking you.
    Too funny! Around here they jack up up for it.... Yea, thats a carrier for ya.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to give it a shot using this to avoid the ETF in a couple weeks. We have to cancel my wife's line anyway now that she got a IPhone through work.

Feedback Score
    I just filed complaints with the BBB, FCC, and FTC. Doubt it will accomplish much, but if more people did, it would.
    It's real easy. You can just paste this into the forms on the BBB FTC and FCC websites:

AT&T has raised the price on every wireless line in service by $.61 a month by adding a new fee to every bill, which they explain as follows:"MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEEEffective May 1, 2013, the Administrative Fee will be $0.61 per line per month. The Administrative Fee helps defray certain expenses AT&T incurs, including but not limited to: (a) charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers; and (b) charges associated with cell site rents and maintenance."

This is a baloney way of saying "price increase", and is a blatant violation of basic contract law which does not allow the changing of terms after the beginning of a bilateral agreement. The vast majority of ATT customers have 2-year contract agreements which prevent their switching carriers without paying a huge penalty clause.

The ATT Wireless Agreement reads: "If we increase the price of any of the services to which you subscribe, beyond the limits set forth in your customer service summary... you may terminate this agreement without paying an early termination fee or returning or paying for any promotional items."

CTIA Consumer Code reads: "Carriers will not modify the material terms of their subscribers' contracts in a manner that is materially adverse to subscribers without providing a reasonable advance notice of a proposed modification and allowing subscribers a time period of not less than 14 days to cancel their contracts with no early termination fee."

ATT claims that the price for the service remains the same and are only adding a "fee". What's from stopping AT&T from adding an additional $50/month fee and not letting customers out of their contract?

$.61 doesn't sound like much, but some people have multiple lines. In addition, multiplied by 115.78 million customers, AT&T makes an extra $847 million a year from this dishonest price hike.

As it is not any kind of tax or government mandated charge, the new fee should be included in the basic price displayed in advertising and informational material. The new fee should only be charged on new contracts beginning after the increase, and existing contract customers must be allowed to either reject the price hike or be allowed to terminate their service without penalty, as the contract has already been breached by the carrier.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Just my guess, but if they won't concede to you and cancel it, without etf, if I truly wanted out of the contact, I would call c/s, have them note what you are requesting the termination; I would send them a cert letter, advising of such, with reference to the above mentioned t&c.

What's the worst that can happen. They can try to collect the etf, in a small claims court. Take the contract to court with you, to prove your case.. They can't put you in jail, they can only collect the prorated etf, and you can sell your phones on ebay to offset the payment, except the phones may be black listed, which i would think shouldn't be done, after you pay the etf, if you lose.

My guess is, they will not even show up in court.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Just my guess, but if they won't concede to you and cancel it, without etf, if I truly wanted out of the contact, I would call c/s, have them note what you are requesting the termination; I would send them a cert letter, advising of such, with reference to the above mentioned t&c.

What's the worst that can happen. They can try to collect the etf, in a small claims court. Take the contract to court with you, to prove your case.. They can't put you in jail, they can only collect the prorated etf, and you can sell your phones on ebay to offset the payment, except the phones may be black listed, which i would think shouldn't be done, after you pay the etf, if you lose.

My guess is, they will not even show up in court.
    Carriers don't take customers to court, they just turn the account over to collections. Now if your credit is damaged enough to cause you damage you can sue them, then they won't show. Kind od crazy to do this because 300 bucks is over the threshold to affect car loan interest rates.In fact the banks love it, instead of a low no profit loan they enjoy jour 20%+ interest rate.
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow I haven't visited this forum in many years and I found this thread searching about this administrative fee. I left mainly because of overly carrier sympathetic users such as efparri whose name I recognized instantly upon viewing this page. Glad to see he's still defending AT&T's every anti-consumer move.

Disappointing to see no one has posted a reply saying they got out of their contract. I have 4 lines in contract and would like to move to T-Mobile's new consumer friendly plans if possible.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by petard View Post
    Wow I haven't visited this forum in many years and I found this thread searching about this administrative fee. I left mainly because of overly carrier sympathetic users such as efparri whose name I recognized instantly upon viewing this page. Glad to see he's still defending AT&T's every anti-consumer move.

Disappointing to see no one has posted a reply saying they got out of their contract. I have 4 lines in contract and would like to move to T-Mobile's new consumer friendly plans if possible.
    Dam, bam, wham, hit it in one! Can't understand why he is that way though.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Dam, bam, wham, hit it in one! Can't understand why he is that way though.
    Yeah it really makes no sense unless he has some vested interest in the company.

AT&T is basically charging me full price for phones and only giving them to me if I sign a 2 year contract or else they keep the money. Since my lines contracts all end at different dates it's VERY hard to leave the company. I can either pay ETFs (~$1000) or I can let upgrades sit for up to 12 months while I wait for my other lines contracts to expire. That will also cause me to lose out on about $1000 worth of subsidies, aka money I give AT&T for a full price phones that I never get.

The only way I stay afloat with AT&T is that I purchase expensive smartphones on my non-smartphone lines and then sell them on eBay and cancel the data plans on those lines. It's a perpetual cycle of staying locked to AT&T. I really would like to break it without having it cost me $1000.

Device(s)
    Samsung Moment
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Even though they made up a new fee of 61 cents, I wouldn't be surprised if they increase it to 99 cents next year, and $1.49 the following year.
    Its big, easy money for AT&T and doing it in such small increments most people don't even notice it or don't think its worth a fight over "only" 61 cents.

AT&T is already one if the highest priced carriers out there so this is nothing but a greed move, IMO.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah it really makes no sense unless he has some vested interest in the company.

AT&T is basically charging me full price for phones and only giving them to me if I sign a 2 year contract or else they keep the money. Since my lines contracts all end at different dates it's VERY hard to leave the company. I can either pay ETFs (~$1000) or I can let upgrades sit for up to 12 months while I wait for my other lines contracts to expire. That will also cause me to lose out on about $1000 worth of subsidies, aka money I give AT&T for a full price phones that I never get.

The only way I stay afloat with AT&T is that I purchase expensive smartphones on my non-smartphone lines and then sell them on eBay and cancel the data plans on those lines. It's a perpetual cycle of staying locked to AT&T. I really would like to break it without having it cost me $1000.
    I hate to say it, but that may be part of AT&T's strategy. That said, I also think that there is a start of a new carrier business model that has already begun but is still evolving. AIO makes a case for it, and thats an alternative that just a year ago AT&T wouldn't entertain. Won't help you though, but after the manufactures see a decline in revenue, all hell will break loose. It's because of carrier involvement that they enjoy screamin high markups.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I hate to say it, but that may be part of AT&T's strategy. That said, I also think that there is a start of a new carrier business model that has already begun but is still evolving. AIO makes a case for it, and thats an alternative that just a year ago AT&T wouldn't entertain. Won't help you though, but after the manufactures see a decline in revenue, all hell will break loose. It's because of carrier involvement that they enjoy screamin high markups.
    Of COURSE it is part of AT&T's strategy. And I don't know if they still do it but each line would have its own ARPU and would get a different upgrade interval based on what features were on that line. So they LOVE it when your lines contracts desync to put the consumer in the exact situation I'm in. If you want to leave you're forced to forgo a "subsidy" for quite some time or you're forced to pay a large ETF. They've locked you in and now they're throwing on administrative fees and other BS slowly and steadily increasing your bill. MILLIONS of lines all getting BS $0.61 fees. With 5 lines my bill is going up $3.05.

Feedback Score
    I left mainly because of overly carrier sympathetic users such as efparri whose name I recognized instantly upon viewing this page. Glad to see he's still defending AT&T's every anti-consumer move.
    This gave me a good laugh. Thanks for my HoFo moment of the day.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Carriers don't take customers to court, they just turn the account over to collections. Now if your credit is damaged enough to cause you damage you can sue them, then they won't show. Kind od crazy to do this because 300 bucks is over the threshold to affect car loan interest rates.In fact the banks love it, instead of a low no profit loan they enjoy jour 20%+ interest rate.

Does no one here have any real collections experience? I would love att or any other company with deep pockets to turn something like this over to a collections agent. It will never get that far, but again the defense here is the contract. It will never get as far as a collection agent, or court, as while the c/s folks may try to bluff the "low info" crowd, in the end, they will eventually concede to just end the contract.

Should they file anything which in anyway defamed my credit, they would be liable for any damages, and they know it.

This whole thing is absurd on it's face. They are calling this an administrative fee. What if I decided, arbitrarily decided to charge att an administrative fee of say .61 cents for writing a check to pay my monthly bill. What would happen? First they would send me a bill for the .61, and if I tried to argue to above, they would say something to effect, that I signed a contract, which didn't allow for the fee.

We customers are arguing the same thing. If either att tries to raise their price, or I try to lower it, we are both violating the terms of the original contract. Neither of us can do either, without the other parties consent.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast