Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The first 24 hours with my Z10 - initial review

Device(s)
    Z10, 9860, 9700
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up The first 24 hours with my Z10 - initial review

Well I must say first off, I am impressed with this machine!! It's clearly a huge step for Blackberry for sure!

I love its sleek design and the touchscreen/tap is way better than an i5! Swipe features are great and I love the hidden menus!

Other loves - COPY/PASTE, amazing web browsing (it's super crisp and clear and FAST), un-hiding password as you type, magnify, select multiple messages to delete.

Sideloading - enough said! This is probably the best thing ever!
    Goodness knows I have felt completely out of the loop from 'all that is cool' because the Blackberry app market has historically been so dismal. This feature certainly helps!!

It's taking getting used to, to locate where things are and it's taken a while to find certain settings but a number of hours later, I got myself up to be up & running.

For example - there are a few ways to add your email accounts to your device, and settings like email account signature settings are not in the same place as the add email account setting in Setup.

You'll be pleasantly surprised where certain settings are, but at the same time you may wonder why the setting isn't somewhere more obvious.

It was a bit of a task to get migrated from OS 7 to 10, since the 'desktop manager' apps are different and don't integrate. I had to use the SD Card method to get my contacts and text messages to copy to the new phone.

Portrait/Landscape is a bit of hit/miss. Some apps allow it and some don't. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Default email address - I have 5 accounts coming in to 1 device. It seems that the account I'd like to set as default isn't appearing in the account list. Another tweak I haven't been able to figure out.

Few surprises:
    No more BIS - I was expecting to log on and send service books but realized that's been done away with! So creating email accounts from scratch was a bit of a task (since I had 5 email accounts coming in to 1 device)

Loss of att.blackberry.net account - I used that account as default for messages I had no intention of storing on a gmail or yahoo account for example. I believe you can forward messages from your blackberry.net account to another one, but I haven't tried to do this yet.

And of course - no Green LED signal! I know long-standing BB users are split on this, where people can take it or leave it - but that GREEN LED was my lifeline. It was my signal to either check messages or leave my phone alone.

No option to delete messages from Handheld only or both Handheld & Mailbox - I'm seeing other threads of users who have managed to set their Z10 to delete messages from the phone and from their email inbox but I have yet to master this.

No hiding folders or apps - I used to hide certain folders to keep myself from accidentally accessing certain apps or setup options in previous OS versions. With OS 10, I don't see a way to hide folders or apps. I have moved the folders to 'pages' 2 and 3 so that I'd have to swipe to the page first before accessing the folder.

No unique tones for each email account - Now, no matter which email account you receive a new message for, the tone is the same for all accounts. In previous OS versions, you could set a different tone for each email account but OS 10 is much simpler in this sense. You have a tone indicator for Messages and for Texts - and 1 tone only for each, that's it.

Some may think my 'surprises' is just me being too picky, but I think we've all grown to love the unique and super-customizable ways we were able to use our Blackberry's over the years. I get the need for Blackberry to simplify the UI and make it easier for a larger population of people to use it, but I think long-standing power users may be a tad disappointed at some of these unique configurations that are slowly disappearing.

All in all, I'm super happy with the device and the OS. I don't intend on returning it to go back to OS 7 but I would like to see a feature or two come back in upcoming updates.

It's a keeper

PS - if anyone has any shortcuts to things I haven't been able to find yet myself - your help is MUCH appreciated !!! thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is a good review. Your phone history shows that you are not new to BlackBerry by any means. I am very curious about the OS, but I am sure that it is not enough to sway me from what I am currently using. I really like OS5, and even though it lacks, it works, and works well for what I need.

Can you post up a follow up review after a few weeks or a month of use? Curious to see what your thoughts are on it.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Device(s)
    Z10, 9860, 9700
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Absolutely @Heavy Fluid will do!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilminx View Post
    Loss of att.blackberry.net account - I used that account as default for messages I had no intention of storing on a gmail or yahoo account for example. I believe you can forward messages from your blackberry.net account to another one, but I haven't tried to do this yet.
    (sorry edited for focus).

see documentation:
    http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

a possible other document for helping:
    http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

With mine the problem is I think I deleted my original a few years back; I'd love to get the previous emails on it though. Wait ... I think a friend has a 9790 laying around for me to test setup.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilminx View Post
    And of course - no Green LED signal! I know long-standing BB users are split on this, where people can take it or leave it - but that GREEN LED was my lifeline. It was my signal to either check messages or leave my phone alone.

No option to delete messages from Handheld only or both Handheld & Mailbox - I'm seeing other threads of users who have managed to set their Z10 to delete messages from the phone and from their email inbox but I have yet to master this.

No hiding folders or apps - I used to hide certain folders to keep myself from accidentally accessing certain apps or setup options in previous OS versions. With OS 10, I don't see a way to hide folders or apps. I have moved the folders to 'pages' 2 and 3 so that I'd have to swipe to the page first before accessing the folder.

Green LED?
    The green LED only told you that you where in signal strength if I recall correctly. That is its default nature in BBOS5-7.1 ... did you use some 3rd party application to augment this function?

Highlight a date and select "Delete Prior" (hold and slide and let go on Delete Prior - this deletes on the HH, not the email account; at least if on ActiveSync vs POP/IMAP which I refuse to use). Where are the threads you've mentioned people having trouble or setting this up? here on hofo?

WHY do you need to hide apps in folders to prevent you from accessing them? Don't select them its as simple as that. Unless you have a fine motor control issue with your muscles (I'm being serious here not condescending), or you really mean to hide apps/data they contain from the wife or other prying eyes Honest that's another conversation but you could place those apps into a folder and swipe all the way over to a few screens away (many home screens blank in between), or can you? Haven't bothered to try that.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I always hide the provider pushed icons, regardless if they were installed or not. One nice feature of the BlackBerry OS.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Z10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.10.672 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

I miss being able to hide icons too. I don't like clutter. But I did what the OP did and move them to to farthest page so I don't have to look at them. That's a good enough workaround for me. The other really annoying thing is that every time I delete a stock app I have no use for, it gets pushed back the next day as a "Software Update". I have to decline the update everyday.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 03-23-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Z10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.10.672 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

I miss being able to hide icons too. I don't like clutter. But I did what the OP did and move them to to farthest page so I don't have to look at them. That's a good enough workaround for me. The other really annoying thing is that every time I delete a stock app I have no use for, it gets pushed back the next day as a "Software Update". I have to decline the update everyday.
    LMAO ... man that's gotta suck! You want to keep up to date on bug fixes but you need to deny them to keep apps you no longer require. I recall the clutter of annoying Rogers (and other provider) service book enforced app icons ... 12 from Rogers along back on BB6! arrgh. BB Link doesn't seem to give us the fine control over pre-installed core apps like desktop manager did on older devices. Let's hope we get this functionality back soon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Yeah, but I learned after doing it a few times that when the update is 14MB I can if ignore it. If it's 100MB+ then it's probably an OS update. Quite annoying though.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 03-23-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I hated the provider pushed stuff. I can't imagine having to look at that. I wonder why they took the ability to hide icons away??

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    I hated the provider pushed stuff. I can't imagine having to look at that. I wonder why they took the ability to hide icons away??
    Because providers can no longer ... "push" icons or applications without being part of a software update like Denny mentioned; to be honest I wasn't even aware of that - had Z10 for 5 days now (previous it was 3 days only for testing). Right now YOU'RE going through that if its a Verizon BB5 device you're on. Service Books the bain and major power of older BB's

Right now I cannot find anything even remotely related to service books on BB so as an IT rep troubleshooting is taken on a whole knew arc for me with this device.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LED functionality ...
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...tent/23216879/

& HUB++ app seems to give you guys what you're after on Z10.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Supa_Fly
    LED functionality ...
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...tent/23216879/

& HUB++ app seems to give you guys what you're after on Z10.
    I was looking at that a few days ago. I was curious if I could adjust the volume on various notifications within the same profile, but I stopped reading as soon as I read that the app had to be open (as an active tile) for it to work. I'm already not the biggest fan of third party solutions for features that should come stock, but I'm especially opposed to something like this where I'd have to remember to keep it running in order for it to function. Too gimicky for me, but I can see the appeal.

Feedback Score
    Had an opportunity to handle a Z10 in an ATT store. Very thin and very light. Two questions:

1. Am I to understand that there is no longer a blinking red (or green) light that flashes to alert you of pending messages / emails? Q10 and Z10?

2. Am I to understand that you no longer have the option of deleting an email just on the device? Q10 and Z10?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JGalt
    Had an opportunity to handle a Z10 in an ATT store. Very thin and very light. Two questions:

1. Am I to understand that there is no longer a blinking red (or green) light that flashes to alert you of pending messages / emails? Q10 and Z10?

2. Am I to understand that you no longer have the option of deleting an email just on the device? Q10 and Z10?
    1: That's not the case. There definitely is still a red LED to notify you of new messages.

2: That's my understanding, yes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast