Thread: Phone to run an unadulterated Linux OS?

Feedback Score

Angry Phone to run an unadulterated Linux OS?

I've been trying to decide between another Android phone, Ubuntu phone, Ubuntu tablet, Ubuntu on android.. But it seems to me that the Ubuntu mobile OS is distinctly different from the Ubuntu PC OS, since it still revolves around apps instead of the apt-get package manager.

Is there a phone which I can literally just use as a small Linux computer, where the only modifications are to the desktop and windowing managers to accommodate the different interface, and extra drivers for cell connections and the SIM card?

I want to be able to install anything on my phone, which I could install on my Linux PC, not wait for it to be ported or wrapped. If I want gcc, I apt-get gcc. If I want chromium, I apt-get chromium.

Thank you
    Last edited by RobotGymnast; 03-18-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobotGymnast View Post
    I've been trying to decide between another Android phone, Ubuntu phone, Ubuntu tablet, Ubuntu on android.. But it seems to me that the Ubuntu mobile OS is distinctly different from the Ubuntu PC OS, since it still revolves around apps instead of the apt-get package manager.

Is there a phone which I can literally just use as a small Linux computer, where the only modifications are to the desktop and windowing managers to accommodate the different interface, and extra drivers for cell connections and the SIM card?

I want to be able to install anything on my phone, which I could install on my Linux PC, not wait for it to be ported or wrapped. If I want gcc, I apt-get gcc. If I want chromium, I apt-get chromium.

Thank you
    The Openmoko FreeRunner might do the job, if you can track one down.

That said, I wouldn't count on being happy if and when you get what you want: very few Linux apps are optimized for a small touchscreen. There's good reasons why Android, Firefox OS and Ubuntu for phones are significantly different than a normal Linux distro.