Thread: i365is

Feedback Score

i365is

I am just curious if anybody here has any experience with the Motorola i365is? I have some old Nextels now that I use from time to time as walkie talkies on Direct Talk (Moto Talk). I may want to buy an additional unit and I am considering an i365is because it has the longer antenna. Anyway, for anybody that has used this, how much does the external antenna improve range?

Feedback Score

i365

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I am just curious if anybody here has any experience with the Motorola i365is? I have some old Nextels now that I use from time to time as walkie talkies on Direct Talk (Moto Talk). I may want to buy an additional unit and I am considering an i365is because it has the longer antenna. Anyway, for anybody that has used this, how much does the external antenna improve range?
    You don't need to buy the IS model just to get the "rubber ducky" antenna, you can buy the antenna alone for a few bucks, unscrew the original pull-up antenna and thread in the new rubber-ducky antenna. There is a Motorola Forums webpage that has good instructions, including photos, and a link where you might still be able to buy the fixed antenna, but because I just registered on HoFo, I am not yet allowed to post a URL directly. Here is the link, but with all forward slashes replaced by underscores to get past the temporary filter: https:__forums.motorola.com_posts_c35c507023

In my experience, if you can live with the fixed antenna being in the way now & then, it is definitely worth having it for better reception in areas with weak iDEN signal. I have never tried it on Direct Talk, so I can't give any feedback on that score. But it definitely improves iDEN reception in fringe areas.

The i365 is an absolutely great phone, one of the best Moto ever built. I too am keeping our retired Nextel phones to use on Direct Talk.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    SDC_01 is right. Back in the day I used a "Rubber Ducky" antenna on my i605

The /\/\oto part number is NNTN5539A I believe... try ebay

Quote Originally Posted by SDC_01 View Post
    You don't need to buy the IS model just to get the "rubber ducky" antenna, you can buy the antenna alone for a few bucks, unscrew the original pull-up antenna and thread in the new rubber-ducky antenna. There is a Motorola Forums webpage that has good instructions, including photos, and a link where you might still be able to buy the fixed antenna, but because I just registered on HoFo, I am not yet allowed to post a URL directly. Here is the link, but with all forward slashes replaced by underscores to get past the temporary filter: https:__forums.motorola.com_posts_c35c507023

In my experience, if you can live with the fixed antenna being in the way now & then, it is definitely worth having it for better reception in areas with weak iDEN signal. I have never tried it on Direct Talk, so I can't give any feedback on that score. But it definitely improves iDEN reception in fringe areas.

The i365 is an absolutely great phone, one of the best Moto ever built. I too am keeping our retired Nextel phones to use on Direct Talk.

Feedback Score

i365is

Quote Originally Posted by SDC_01 View Post
    .....You don't need to buy the IS model just to get the "rubber ducky" antenna, you can buy the antenna alone for a few bucks, unscrew the original pull-up antenna and thread in the new rubber-ducky antenna.....The i365 is an absolutely great phone, one of the best Moto ever built. I too am keeping our retired Nextel phones to use on Direct Talk.....
    That is very good to know. The reason that I originally focused on those is because a while back, when the i315 and i325 were common, some people would get the i325 antenna BUT install it on the i315. However, some reported that the range did NOT improve, which is exactly the opposite of what one would expect. So, I have sort of focused on the i325is because it looks like the longer external antenna was Original Equipment Manufacture.

I still might spring for a used Motorola Titanium or two. Even though they might not have as much range as the i365, it would be handy to have the Android functionality and use it with off network maps as a GPS. I suspect as the deadline for Nextel shutting down continue to approach that the prices will drop even more!

I also have ran across another forum recently that has people testing, modding, and comparing old Nextels for Direct Talk use.

Feedback Score
    That is very good to know. The reason that I originally focused on those is because a while back, when the i315 and i325 were common, some people would get the i325 antenna BUT install it on the i315. However, some reported that the range did NOT improve, which is exactly the opposite of what one would expect. So, I have sort of focused on the i325is because it looks like the longer external antenna was Original Equipment Manufacture.

I still might spring for a used Motorola Titanium or two. Even though they might not have as much range as the i365, it would be handy to have the Android functionality and use it with off network maps as a GPS. I suspect as the deadline for Nextel shutting down continue to approach that the prices will drop even more!

I also have ran across another forum recently that has people testing, modding, and comparing old Nextels for Direct Talk use.
    The links on the webpage I noted in my previous post are actually for the i325IS antenna, it does fit the i365, in my experience it absolutely improved signal capture performance (i.e. improved its ability to obtain signal AND hold signal). Here's the link again to the forum posting containing installation instructions and links to the place those were bought (with stars substituted for forward slashes in the URL).

"https:**forums.motorola.com*posts*c35c507023"

If you have info on anther site that can help get ex-Nextel phones running in Direct Talk mode, please share whatever info/links you have along those lines.

Thanks