Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: random car comparison thread

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    ...bad power window motors, fancy half-click lane change turn signals randomly ceasing function, power locks stopping, and the fun one... spring in the switchblade key breaking. All the minor stuff I would typically expect to last nearly forever unless I abuse them...

Also now in the Toyota family. Staying for a while.
    Oh yea. I do love the 3-signal single tap on the BMW (something the Lexus in 08 did not have), but it wasn't worth the issues. When I was originally going to lease a new car, it was either going to be the 3-Series or the Lexus IS. I went with the 3-Series because of offers at the time. I do love the way it drives, but it was roughly (within ~$600 IIRC) the same price as the IS and didn't have near the equipment. No cooled seats (only heated). No HID headlights. No SmartAccess (or the BMW equivalent). No Bluetooth streaming audio. No car alarm! The 2011 IS had all of those things and my 2008 GS I drive now has all that and more (granted, it was just over $57k back when it was new).

Then there's the weird German things. The 3-Series has rain-sensing wipers, but only after you turn them on! Seriously?! My GS has an "auto" position and I leave it there. The wipers activate when it starts raining. Perfect. The cup holders in the 3 are abysmal...they pop out from the dash in front of the passengers knees. The doors auto-lock when you start driving, but don't auto-unlock when you're done. Why?

All in all, it is a fun car to drive, but for the money, the feature set and reliability leave a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Many of the foreign cars are made right here in the United States. BMW X5, M3 and others are made in South Carolina. Honda is made in Ohio, Alabama and California. Toyota make cars in Mississippi, Kentucky, Texas and Indiana. Mercedes makes the ML class in Alabama. Volvo makes trucks in Virginia. On the other hand, many United States brands are made in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Australia, Romania and China.
    Yup, and the RX is made in Canada. The thing is, the same process and quality parts are used regardless of location.

Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    My problem is i never like any Japanese cars, i can always tell when im riding in one as the interior just feels awkward to me, not nearly as awkward as chevy's are, but none the less. I always like german cars (VW, BMW, etc).

I still have not decided yet, as i still have a lot of life left in my fusion (and i run em into the ground before buying another), so i'm really not sure what i'm gonna get next, as Ford has always lasted me with minimal maintenance.
    Like I said above, I love the way the 3-Series drives, but just know now they are crazy expensive to maintain (saw a coupon for a $99 oil change in the paper), and crazy expensive to repair outside of warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    We have had good luck with GM, and Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    That's just not true, though I'm sure the foreign car companies would like everybody to believe it. American car companies have come back big, and when they do well, the nation does well.
    I like Ford's new look, and I have friends who have been happy with them. What scares me are the stories I read about exploding F-150's (which still appears to be a problem in cars built today). Just this morning I read a recall regarding engine issues in Mercury's. I know all companies have their recalls, but that's scary (I witnessed an F-150 with a temp tag go up in flames). Toyota had that major recall of floor mats after that big ordeal a few years ago, but in the end there was nothing wrong with any component of the vehicle:

"There is no electronic-based cause for unintended high-speed acceleration in Toyotas, period," Transportation Department Secretary Ray LaHood declared in the LA Times.
    A quick search of any car brand will yield recalls...and I understand that. I just think Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and Nissan/Infiniti have the quality thing down pat. I'm by no means hating on American products, as I prefer to buy American when it comes to anything. But when it's a major purchase, I have to go where I am comfortable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    My problem is i never like any Japanese cars, i can always tell when im riding in one as the interior just feels awkward to me, not nearly as awkward as chevy's are, but none the less. I always like german cars (VW, BMW, etc).

I still have not decided yet, as i still have a lot of life left in my fusion (and i run em into the ground before buying another), so i'm really not sure what i'm gonna get next, as Ford has always lasted me with minimal maintenance.
    I've never really been a big fan of Japanese car's until my Legacy. But then again, Subaru's are an awkward car anyways.. They don't really fit into the norm category.

What year is your Fusion? I had the 10" SEL V6, only problem I had was the known 6F35 1-2 shift flare when cold.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    Oh yea. I do love the 3-signal single tap on the BMW (something the Lexus in 08 did not have), but it wasn't worth the issues. When I was originally going to lease a new car, it was either going to be the 3-Series or the Lexus IS. I went with the 3-Series because of offers at the time. I do love the way it drives, but it was roughly (within ~$600 IIRC) the same price as the IS and didn't have near the equipment. No cooled seats (only heated). No HID headlights. No SmartAccess (or the BMW equivalent). No Bluetooth streaming audio. No car alarm! The 2011 IS had all of those things and my 2008 GS I drive now has all that and more (granted, it was just over $57k back when it was new).

Then there's the weird German things. The 3-Series has rain-sensing wipers, but only after you turn them on! Seriously?! My GS has an "auto" position and I leave it there. The wipers activate when it starts raining. Perfect. The cup holders in the 3 are abysmal...they pop out from the dash in front of the passengers knees. The doors auto-lock when you start driving, but don't auto-unlock when you're done. Why?

All in all, it is a fun car to drive, but for the money, the feature set and reliability leave a lot to be desired.

Like I said above, I love the way the 3-Series drives, but just know now they are crazy expensive to maintain (saw a coupon for a $99 oil change in the paper), and crazy expensive to repair outside of warranty.
    My 2005 Audi A4 2.0T was like this. 3 flash signal with a single tap. Rain sensing wipers as well. Hated that. The locks did auto unlock though. Car was expensive to maintain, with oil changes at the $80 mark. Not too bad considering it was full synthetic and would go 10k miles. Most German cars are expensive to maintain. The parts aren't cheap, the labor isn't cheap, but they are made to last. I see so many older model Mercedes, BMW, Audi and VW's on the road where I live.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2