Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Data plan grandfathering frustration

Device(s)
    Palm Treo 700wx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, baby!
    Feedback Score

Data plan grandfathering frustration

I have unlimited data for $29.99 per month. I'm unable to upgrade my son's phone without changing the data package to one that will cost either $50 or $80 a month, depending on his data usage. We could probably get by with $50, but that's still another $20 per month. I wonder, if I just go buy him a new phone, and we move his SIM card to it, without reupping the plan for another 2 years, will the new phone work?
    We don't care. We don't have to. We're the phone company.
    --Lily Tomlin

Feedback Score
    As long as you're not getting a subsidized upgrade using that particular line of service if you get another device from somewhere (ebay, craigslist, whatever) and pop the SIM card into it, it'll work.

The caveat to that being as long as the phone itself isn't on a VZW blacklist for lost/stolen or non-pay.

Feedback Score
    I have had data service from Verizon going on 7 years. I think it is ridiculous that Verizon takes their oldest and loyal customers and treats them unfairly when it comes to equipment upgrades. I visited my local Verizon store last week and asked about upgrades and the employee told me that if I do that then I am no longer eligible for my grandfathered in data rate. From early blackberries to the 7700 to the palm 770 all the way thru early 3g smartphones and now a 4g lte and an iPhone for good measure. I have given Verizon a ton of money over the years and think they need to modify this policy

Carrier(s)
    Alltel Red(MWW),
    Feedback Score
    I just pay retail when I get a new device. Then I do the swap online. If I don't go into a company store, no one can "accidentally" irreversibly change my plan.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crain View Post
    I just pay retail when I get a new device. Then I do the swap online. If I don't go into a company store, no one can "accidentally" irreversibly change my plan.
    Saying your doing it online implies there is more to it than just moving a sim over. Before sims it was an online or call in affair only. So is it truly as easy as just swapping sims or more to it than that? I have not done a swap since Verizon came out with sims and LTE.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    Saying your doing it online implies there is more to it than just moving a sim over. Before sims it was an online or call in affair only. So is it truly as easy as just swapping sims or more to it than that? I have not done a swap since Verizon came out with sims and LTE.
    Assuming you are dealing with phones that take the same sized sim, moving from one LTE device to another from and LTE device to another is as simple as swapping the sim.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Data plan grandfathering frustration

Quote Originally Posted by cellularscout28 View Post
    I have had data service from Verizon going on 7 years. I think it is ridiculous that Verizon takes their oldest and loyal customers and treats them unfairly when it comes to equipment upgrades. I visited my local Verizon store last week and asked about upgrades and the employee told me that if I do that then I am no longer eligible for my grandfathered in data rate. From early blackberries to the 7700 to the palm 770 all the way thru early 3g smartphones and now a 4g lte and an iPhone for good measure. I have given Verizon a ton of money over the years and think they need to modify this policy
    The new policy is the very definition of fair. It applies to everyone regardless of tenure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0 View Post
    The new policy is the very definition of fair. It applies to everyone regardless of tenure.
    You could not possibly be more wrong !!!!!

When I signed my contract it said one thing at a later date it was changed.............

What am I missing ????? Fair ............... Nonsense !!!!

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Stan MI View Post
    You could not possibly be more wrong !!!!!

When I signed my contract it said one thing at a later date it was changed.............

What am I missing ????? Fair ............... Nonsense !!!!
    What part of your contact changed?

Feedback Score
    What part of your contact changed?
    Two year equipment renewals at reduced rates !!! Was changed to, equipment renewals would require contract changes.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Two year equipment renewals at reduced rates !!! Was changed to, equipment renewals would require contract changes.
    Every equipment discount requires a new contract to be signed. It's been that way forever.

Your CURRENT contract has absolutely not changed.

Feedback Score
    You capped the word Current. I assume meaning, that with each subsequent contract from the original changes were assumed to be made. (Since it is no longer the original contract.)

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

You capped the word Current. I assume meaning, that with each subsequent contract from the original changes were assumed to be made. (Since it is no longer the original contract.)
    Every time you get a phone at a discount, you sign a new superseding contract.

Feedback Score
    Every time you get a phone at a discount, you sign a new superseding contract.
    Superseding is the same as "Changed". Which was my original point.

Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Superseding is the same as "Changed". Which was my original point.
    No, NEW is the point. YOUR contact hasn't changed at all. It's the same as the day you signed it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast