Thread: Petro Unlimited Browsing as a Hotspot

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Petro Unlimited Browsing as a Hotspot

Hi Guys, I had a quick question for you all. I see that Petro and 7-11 both have an option for a $10/month unlimited plan (I understand with restrictions due to ports and all). I have a wifi only ipad and I would love to use this plan as a hotspot somehow. I do have a Huwaei mobile hotspot from Wind Mobile but I doubt thats compatible. I do have the ability to change APNs and it is unlocked but im not sure the frequency and all are compatible. Is anybody aware whether I can use this? Alternatively is there a cheap android device that I can use to run the $10/month plan and use that as a wifi hotspot for my tablet?

Appreciate your feedback and I apologize in advance if this question was already posted somewhere else.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sats4eva View Post
    Hi Guys, I had a quick question for you all. I see that Petro and 7-11 both have an option for a $10/month unlimited plan (I understand with restrictions due to ports and all). I have a wifi only ipad and I would love to use this plan as a hotspot somehow. I do have a Huwaei mobile hotspot from Wind Mobile but I doubt thats compatible. I do have the ability to change APNs and it is unlocked but im not sure the frequency and all are compatible. Is anybody aware whether I can use this? Alternatively is there a cheap android device that I can use to run the $10/month plan and use that as a wifi hotspot for my tablet?

Appreciate your feedback and I apologize in advance if this question was already posted somewhere else.
    It is VERY unlikely it will work. Wind Mobile phones do not work on the Rogers network (Petro Canada Mobility is on Rogers network), so therefore the hotspot device will not either.

You might want to get an rooted android phone and use the hotspot there. You can even install auto proxy, so "most things will work".

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Re: Petro Unlimited Browsing as a Hotspot

Depends on model.the Huawei e586e from wind has 850 1900 Hspa+ and can work after unlocking.buy code from Ebay for unlock code.need to change apn also.

Older Huawei hotspot doesn't have the right band. You should specify which model you have.it doesn't take long to type out a few more jets if you want us to help.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using HowardForums
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have the E583C which is unlocked. A quick look online suggests it has the following:
    AWS 1700/2100
    GSM: 1900/1800/900/850 MHz
    Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sats4eva View Post
    I have the E583C which is unlocked. A quick look online suggests it has the following:
    AWS 1700/2100
    GSM: 1900/1800/900/850 MHz
    Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g

1700/2100? Those would be Wind mobile and Videotron frequencies. Doesn't work with Rogers, Bell or Telus

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It will work under GSM / EDGE as it has 850 / 1900 GSM which Rogers use (and thus Petro Can). But GSM / EDGE is much slower as it is an older technology. If you don't mind the slow speed you can use it.