Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT&T in Southern Wisconsin

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IagoParrot View Post
    I came across this story the other day. Apparently US Cellular is "buying out" Airfire Mobile (I use quotation marks because Airfire was already owned by TDS, parent of USCC). I wonder if this will kick AT&T into gear in Wisconsin, since they'll be losing a roaming partner. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ell/2014-05-30
    I bet AT&T will buy these assets. The linked article says USCC (or TDS) will "dispose of" assets they aren't using; USCC has cellular licenses throughout Airadigm's (dba Airfire) coverage area. VZW has cellular to the west and PCS to the east, Airadigm is PCS. AT&T has no cellular or PCS licenses in SW Wisconsin (except a little extension from the Dubuque, IA market.)

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanp22 View Post
    I drove this stretch today. I had a full edge signal for this entire stretch for the most part. If the light orange yellow is suppose to be 3G I didn't see it. It is quite disappointing as my wife's work iPhone shows verizon LTE the entire trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by IagoParrot View Post
    Was the EDGE signal you were getting native or roaming?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
    Guys...check out my Reedsburg thread from last year at this time. I had good voice service there. Data was Edge...and I was on Bug Tussel's MNC-MCC (but phone did not show roaming) as you can see from the screen shots in that thread.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...isconsin/page2

Back then the maps showed all white (No Service) and that was confirmed by C/S. Now that map shows coverage...but it isn't at&t...its Bug Tussel....yet the phone doesn't think its roaming.

It may have to do with at&t buying some Bug Tussel tower equipment like explained here: http://www.ppulse.com/Articles-Headl...ange-Soon.html

Although that was up in Door County. Still, something happened in the Reedsburg Baraboo area yet it is all hush hush. Why? Who knows.

Feedback Score
    Glad I found this thread. Explains why my Iphone 3gs with H2O service won't pick up a signal at my home in Baraboo. Guess I'll be reselling it on Ebay.
    Grrr @ inaccurate coverage maps!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone been in Platteville recently? I see the AT&T maps now show 4G service is available. I haven't been in Platteville for a few months but the last time I barely had a 2G connection.

Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone 5 and have recently experienced No Service on US 12 from Baraboo to just outside the Sauk City city limits. This occurred Sunday, August 10th. However, on Wednesday August 6th on this same route I was getting 3-4 bars on EDGE.
    The exact same thing happened last month so I contacted AT&T at that time to let them know about the lack of coverage. About 3 days after my contact, I received an email response which indicated that there was a network issue which had been resolved. I thought: great. Good customer service.
    I guess not, based on my experience last Sunday.
    The latest AT&T coverage map shows this area with "Partner" service. With "partners" like that, who needs enemies?
    Also on August 10 I was getting No Service on Interstate 94 just south of the Juneau County line. I mean, No Service on a heavily traveled Interstate highway? Come on. Ironically, the AT&T map shows this also with Partner coverage

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Any idea on the partner? If it's airfire they are shutting down in a couple weeks. Only other provider I know about in area Att roams on is big tussel.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It would probably be bug tussel

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Wouldn't you think that AT&T would have systems in place that would monitor whether or not partners were performing as required? Since this the second incidence of No Service in the area I expected at&t would have resolved the issue after my first contact.

My contract with AT&T is up next month. If they respond with a satisfactory answer to my second complaint my wife and I will consider staying with them. Otherwise it's: Verizon +2, AT&T -2.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneKosobuski View Post
    Wouldn't you think that AT&T would have systems in place that would monitor whether or not partners were performing as required? Since this the second incidence of No Service in the area I expected at&t would have resolved the issue after my first contact.

My contract with AT&T is up next month. If they respond with a satisfactory answer to my second complaint my wife and I will consider staying with them. Otherwise it's: Verizon +2, AT&T -2.
    Yeah, AT&T really needs to get with it in southern WI. I grew up in Baraboo and now live in Sauk City. With my daily commute to Madison, I would love to be able to go to AT&T but that just is not an option.

It really surprises me that they haven't found a way to put up native coverage along Hwy 12 from Sauk City to Baraboo. It is a pretty heavily traveled road now a days. I'm sure in the past the lack of native coverage probably had to do with their lack of CLR and 700 licenses, but they have a 5x5 block of 700 mhz and a hodgepodge of other spectrum. I did a comparison between what they have in Green Bay (an area with AT&T LTE) and Sauk County - pretty much the exact same spectrum! If it can be done there, you know it could be done in eastern Sauk County.

People in our area are sick of USCC and Verizon. Sprint (my current carrier) is alright in the area (very good in rural/suburbian areas with native coverage, but only ok in Madison until B41), but probably wouldn't work for many people.

I put in a T-Mobile SIM into my Nexus 5 about a month ago and found that their coverage is pretty much the same as AT&T, but with what appears to be more roaming options. In the Baraboo/Sauk City areas, I always roamed off of either Bug Tussel or a provider named Newcore Wireless (which was surprisingly HSPA).

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanp22 View Post
    Has anyone been in Platteville recently? I see the AT&T maps now show 4G service is available. I haven't been in Platteville for a few months but the last time I barely had a 2G connection.
    I wouldn't believe it if I were you. Their coverage maps are grossly overstated on the data side. No native coverage at all from Sauk City to Baraboo, but their maps would have you think you are safely in 4G coverage since they show it going another 5-10 miles west of those towns.

Feedback Score
    I was in the New Glarus and Belleville area on Monday. I checked cell coverage and got the familiar No Service reading on my iphone 5 for both locations. Once again, AT&T's coverage map for these two locations shows 3G voice coverage via "Partner" but I got no service.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's an issue with my phone. I under cellular settings I had Data Roaming switched off. Is it possible that caused the no service reading on my phone? Would resetting Network Settings help? Is it possible the phone simply can't receive service as a result of transition from 4G to a different level of service?

Carrier(s)
    ATT Nation Family Talk 1400
    Feedback Score
    Yep. With data roaming turned off on a partner network, you won't (shouldn't at least) have data service. Not sure why you wouldn't at least have had voice, unless it's all or nothing on your (smart?) handset, or the roaming partner was simply no longer active. I've had luck rebooting phones sometimes too in the sticks, but YMMV.

FWIW, SW WI coverage is still *hideous* w/ GSM. [I was born in Madison.]

To the person in this thread who mentioned Sun Prairie coverage, keep extending the 'sprawl' off Hwy 151 NE of Madison out into all the cornfields and LTE will be there lickety split(!) When I grew up in the Mad-City there was practically nothing but corn east of 90/94 (LOL).

I was in the New Glarus and Belleville area on Monday. I checked cell coverage and got the familiar No Service reading on my iphone 5 for both locations. Once again, AT&T's coverage map for these two locations shows 3G voice coverage via "Partner" but I got no service.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's an issue with my phone. I under cellular settings I had Data Roaming switched off. Is it possible that caused the no service reading on my phone? Would resetting Network Settings help? Is it possible the phone simply can't receive service as a result of transition from 4G to a different level of service?

Carrier(s)
    ATT Nation Family Talk 1400
    Feedback Score
    Did you also have data roaming turned off on that part of 94? Might explain it. I've experienced flaky coverage there many times in the past too. It's a weak signal at best w/ the partner nearly every time I pass through. It has been a few years though. I have relatives in the Baraboo/Sauk County area, FWIW. They all use either Verizon or USCC, of course

I have an iPhone 5 and have recently experienced No Service on US 12 from Baraboo to just outside the Sauk City city limits. This occurred Sunday, August 10th. However, on Wednesday August 6th on this same route I was getting 3-4 bars on EDGE.
    The exact same thing happened last month so I contacted AT&T at that time to let them know about the lack of coverage. About 3 days after my contact, I received an email response which indicated that there was a network issue which had been resolved. I thought: great. Good customer service.
    I guess not, based on my experience last Sunday.
    The latest AT&T coverage map shows this area with "Partner" service. With "partners" like that, who needs enemies?
    Also on August 10 I was getting No Service on Interstate 94 just south of the Juneau County line. I mean, No Service on a heavily traveled Interstate highway? Come on. Ironically, the AT&T map shows this also with Partner coverage

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 3.01.34 PM.png
Views: 281
Size:  224.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 3.01.51 PM.png
Views: 275
Size:  259.8 KB

It looks like more work has been done in central Wisconsin as of late, probably due to AT&T's acquisition of Element Mobile. I saw on Element's Facebook page that customers in the New London area are being transitioned to AT&T now, and those in the rest of central WI will be transitioning in the upcoming weeks.

The first image shows all of Wisconsin's voice coverage (or lack thereof west of I-90), keeping in mind the fact that some of that coverage is fairly overstated. The second shows some new LTE upgrades in southern and central WI, primarily between Stevens Point and the Fox Cities.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If only they would finally improve sothwest side of state. I wish they would consider lte roaming deal with verizon for that area if they arent going to add towers themselves

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast