Thread: HUP & Plan Change Questions On A Two Line Account

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

HUP & Plan Change Questions On A Two Line Account

Hey guys! I've got a couple of HUP/plan change questions that are probably going to be straightforward for the experts here so I thought I'd ask here.

I've got two lines on my account, both set up for iPhone use with the 6GB data plan. One phone number is mine and is still "on contract" (let's call it Line 1) while the other number (let's call that line 2) is fully eligible for a HUP. What I was doing was using whichever line had a HUP eligible to upgrade to the latest iPhone for use on line 1 and passing on the older iPhone for use on line 2.

Now, I would like to try out the new BlackBerry Z10 for myself on line 1 and pass my current iPhone down for use on line 2, even though line 2 is the line eligible for a straight HUP. So, here are my questions:

1. Can I use line 2 to HUP to the Z10 for use on line 1 but not change line 2's iPhone voice/text/data plan itself? (In essence, line 2 would just go back on another 3-year contract with no other changes).

2. Can I make changes to the voice plan and/or add-on features on either line online on My Rogers at any time without going back "on contract" and pushing back either line's HUP eligibility? (More of a general question here and not just specific to this situation).

3. Is there a way to keep the 6GB data plan on line 1 for use with the new BlackBerry? I thought I read that BlackBerry data is different than regular smartphone data but there might be a code that can be entered to allow for a specific line to use any smartphone or BlackBerry.

4. Would these changes requested be something that only Retentions can do? (Or maybe I'm better off going to Retentions anyway to see if they might be able to offer a discretionary credit or two?)

Basically, I want to use line 2 just to HUP only but use that new phone on line 1 while keeping line 1 eligible for HUP later this year and want to amend line 1's plan to a BlackBerry specific plan (Data usage/BBM).

I hope that's not too confusing and actually makes sense to you experts. I've read a lot of horror stories of plans getting screwed out of HUP eligibility/loss of 6GB data etc. after calling regular Rogers Customer Service when requesting non-straightforward changes and that's what I want to avoid.

Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Re: HUP & Plan Change Questions On A Two Line Account

For your first question, there's no reason it shouldn't work. I had a similar situation 2 years ago and it didn't affect the plans. Im pretty sure the plans are tied to the phone being used and not the one being subsidized.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    1. They'll most likely change the plan to the BB version if you don't tell them otherwise. But its better if you do have the BB version anyways, its universal.

For 2. Not sure but it actually would work out better if they did renew your plan when did you a change like that since Rogers' ECF is based on the device subsidy. If they renew you without a phone via plan change etc, your ECF becomes $12.50. Ask anyone here, confirmed.

3. A BlackBerry data plan is the universal data plan. If your plan is an "iphone" plan, call Rogers and tell them you are getting a blackberry (not details req) and you need to change your data to the bb compatible version (usually its just an add-on they put on I believe to get it to work).

4. No. Nothing you're asking here is new. Normal cx can handle it perfectly fine but you're better to go with Retentions.. You may as well try and get a better plan if you're going to HUP

What you want to do is simple and fine. Plenty of people do it all the time, you're just over-thinking it :P

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Easiest HUP say you want NO changes, call in on line 1 to tech support and say hey my new BB doesn't work and they will add proper package.

If you call in a Normal REP they may screw up your plan...

Lots of people do the HUP and swap lines...

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I called *611 over my lunch hour today and selected the cancel option to try to get to Retentions but I think I got a regular CSR instead. (Maybe I selected cancel features instead of straight cancellation?). Anyway, the CSR said that I qualify for waived early HUP and activation fees on line 1 that isn't HUP eligible until August and suggest that I HUP both lines to take advantage of slightly cheaper plans and fees available, as KRZR101 posted. She advised that based on my current plans and usage I should update both lines to the $37/month Talk & Text plan, keep the current 6GB data option and switch to a $12.79 BlackBerry Value Pack. She advised that this will allow both lines to use an iPhone and BlackBerry (Visual voicemail included) and also had unlimited BBM as BBM is covered on the 6GB data portion. She noted our conversation on my file, confirmed that no changes have been made and gave me an "Interaction ID" number to refer to when calling back.

I think this plan is decent. (Cheaper is always better, right? ). Anyway, thought I'd ask a couple of further questions here:

1. Is this plan really iPhone and BlackBerry BBM interchangeable or am I mistaken?

2. The CSR advised that I can make plan changes online myself at any time without affecting HUP eligibility and contract term. Is this true?

3. Would you suggest doing the plan changes and ordering HUP devices all in one call with Rogers or just doing plan changes over the phone now and reserving/walking into a Rogers/Best Buy etc. store to do the HUP with the devices in hand?

4. Am I missing anything?

Sorry for the number of questions, just want to get this HUP (and now likely 2 HUP's) done and start playing with a BlackBerry Z10 sooner rather than later. Thanks again for your help. Cheers!