Thread: No more Alltel...

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

No more Alltel...

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/a...Ind=applAttach

This public interest statement is one of the few I've read where it's all true, especially regarding the ATNI competitive position.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post

This public interest statement is one of the few I've read where it's all true, especially regarding the ATNI competitive position.
    It is definitely an eye opener for me. It explains why I have never heard any ads for "Alltel" until a few months ago in my area (Tallahassee). The Alltel area (in my viewing area) is in SW Georgia (Albany/Thomasville/Bainbridge).

I see why ATNI prefers Sprint in the PRLs... it's cheaper. What a surprise.

It is sad that Alltel is merely a shell of itself; I never thought that AT&T would look like a hero! I wished USCellular would have tried to get some of these areas when Verizon dumped it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post

Honestly though, Alltel in the remaining areas of OH left something to be desired, was amazing back in the day when Verizon was still 1X in those areas, but now it's gotten pretty bad. AT&T can definitely use the 800MHz up in the area, although when they finally installed their EDGE network in 2008 on PCS in the Mansfield/Morrow/Marion county area, they did quite a nice job of covering it, Hopefully this will eliminate their dead spots on SR-42 between Mount Gilead and Mansfield, as Alltel was the ONLY network to get a usable phone call the whole way last time i was up there.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

No more Alltel...

Ohio has fewer holes to fill than Illinois for AT&T once they take over assuming FCC approval. Then again it's the FCC. Who knows what they will do.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    In Ohio, the biggest hole area wise that could get filled in the merger from AT&T's perspective is surrounding Coshocton and, Holmes counties. Right now, Alltel and Verizon are the only carries to have decent native coverage in the area. Sprint Has built out RT 36 from Newcomerstown to Coshocton (City) but relies on roaming for otherwise. AT&T and T-Mobile primarily have spillover coverage from the neighboring counties. With the low population density that area it hasn't been profitable to put 1900mhz tower in the area. On top of that, adding 800mhz on AT&T will help building penetration in the rest of that area Mt. Vernon, Manfield, Marion etc.

Feedback Score
    Not sure what to do. I was with AT&T for 7 years. (Formerly Cingular part of that time). However a little over 3 years ago went to Alltel. Some of the reasons for the switch is as follows. Was on a camping trip at Elijah Clark State Park near Lincolnton, GA. While there I had absolutely no service with my AT&T phone while my friends with Alltel & Verizon did. You can still go to AT&T's web site and put in the zip code of Lincolnton, GA of 30817 and it will tell you that that area is not serviced. While camping my mother was in placed in hospital for a serious heart condition and family members were trying to reach me. Obviously with no service there I could not be reached. After this I checked with Alltel and found I could get more minutes for a better price. Also after I switched to Alltel, AT&T tried to bill me for $200 for breaking my contract when I had made no changes to my contract in 7 years. Therefore I went to Alltel and I am very pleased with the service. I know it will be several months before the change from Alltel to AT&T will go through, but I am wondering how it will affect current Alltel customers. Because of my past experience with AT&T I probably should go ahead and make the change to Verizon. I don't care for the high prices of Verizon, but AT&T prices are no better and if I am going to have to eventually pay them I would rather give them to Verizon. If anyone has any input on the transition I would appreciate the input.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

No more Alltel...

Just stay on your Alltel contract. CDMA still won't be going away for a while, and when it does, AT&T will be mandated to have equivalent HSPA+ coverage by the Feds. AT&T will gain a significant amount of coverage through the deal, in other words the places Alltel covers now that AT&T does not. Lots of places that are GSM black holes will be filled with GSM and HSPA+. See how the Alltel transaction was handled out west, AT&T did better than I thought they would out there. I'd contact Jordan T if you have any more questions.

Feedback Score
    Thanks fraydog for the quick response. When Verizon purchased the bulk of Alltel in 2009 they had to divest some of the market due to FCC and Dept. of Justice guidelines I researched why they had to divest as this was the time I made the switch to Alltel. In the rural areas where Alltel was left to operate, the local telephone (land line) companies are rural telephone co-ops. These rural telephone co-ops are protected by the government and no one can come in to compete against them. What I learned is our local telephone co-op owns the franchise store of Alltel. They bought it to protect themselves in case if at some point more and more people went strictly to cell phones and they started to lose land line business they would have something to fall back on and to continue to generate income. Our local co-op went on to file a suit to the DOJ to stop the buyout by Verizon. That being said don’t count you chickens before they hatch as the FCC & DOJ will still have to approve the buyout. If rural telephone co-op’s like ours again try to stop it, then it may delay AT&T on this matter.
    On another note, my wife and I have only basic phones, however due to my business I plan to upgrade to a smart phone soon. I had planned to switch to Verizon because they offer the IPhone whereas Alltel does not. I have an Ipad and want to sync it with my IPhone once I get one. When low and behold I look on the Alltel web site this a.m. and note they are now taking pre orders of the Apple IPhone. Is this part of the AT&T integration already or is this something Alltel is doing on its’ own before the FCC & DOJ approval? If anyone has any insight into this I would like to hear it. Thanks for keeping this forum going.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

No more Alltel...

Alltel still is owned by Atlantic Tele-Network. The iPhone agreement could well have been negotiated before the purchase by AT&T. I track the conference calls of ATNI and there was talk before the Alltel sale announcement of negotiations with Apple. ATNI also has room in the purchase agreement with AT&T to deploy LTE on their own.

I actually *don't* think it would be wise for the DOJ or FCC to block this. Alltel is basically dying on the vine as is. AT&T is taking over a distressed asset. Verizon has a near monopoly in every single market ATNI runs in. Now if the FCC wants to preserve an existing monopoly, that's a real problem IMO.

I have no love for AT&T, but they would invest to a far greater degree than ATNI has.

Feedback Score
    its nice to see alltel getting a phone that isnt junk or really old. i mean the galaxy s2 is nice, but it was 18 months old. i think it might, at the least, keep some people from leaving alltel for verizon and might actually get a few people to go back to alltel. im not an iphone person, id much rather have the note 2 or even the s3, but its still nice to see. alltel has the best all around coverage in my local area. verizon doesnt work so well in the country, but alltel works perfect. maybe if they started added newer phones a little quicker before, alltel wouldnt have lost so many subscribers. its pretty lame trying to brag about your new phone being the same phone your friend just upgraded from.....

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmonte19 View Post
    its nice to see alltel getting a phone that isnt junk or really old. i mean the galaxy s2 is nice, but it was 18 months old. i think it might, at the least, keep some people from leaving alltel for verizon and might actually get a few people to go back to alltel. im not an iphone person, id much rather have the note 2 or even the s3, but its still nice to see. alltel has the best all around coverage in my local area. verizon doesnt work so well in the country, but alltel works perfect. maybe if they started added newer phones a little quicker before, alltel wouldnt have lost so many subscribers. its pretty lame trying to brag about your new phone being the same phone your friend just upgraded from.....
    See, it's the exact opposite in Randolph County and Jackson County for that matter. Verizon kills Alltel for coverage here. We were never a big area for Alltel or First Cellular even. Alltel doesn't even have PCS spectrum in Randolph County.

Getting the iPhone is nice for Alltel to stop bleeding subs. It would be nice to go with LTE on 700 C though. They may not want to do much more upgrading until AT&T takes over though. If AT&T keeps the same coverage that ATNI has in your area, and mixes in the Alltel towers with the ones that AT&T already owns around Benton and West Frankfort, AT&T should be able to offer really competitive service where you live. Not to mention Verizon is way oversold through most of Southern Illinois.

The AT&T coverage in Franklin County isn't that bad already. For only being on 1900 it's quite good. In Carbondale and Marion, their coverage is pretty good. And in St. Louis and in St. Clair County, their LTE is dynamite good. If they bring that same type of LTE southeast, look out VZW.

Feedback Score
    I agree jmonte19 that Alltel over the last few years that they have been owned by ATNI that they have had a poor selection of phones. This alone has hurt their business. Today they are just now releasing the IPhone, but I believe it is too little too late.
    As stated in a previous post the wife and I have both have a basic phone with Alltel, however I am ready to upgrade to a smartphone preferably the IPhone 5. Although the buyout of Alltel by AT&T has not been approved by the FCC & DOJ and we do not know the timeline of when the complete change will take over it looks like I will go ahead and make the switch over to Verizon even though I am not thrilled with the prices they are charging for data.
    If I knew AT&T would be going into these rural area with voice & LTE Data service in a timely manner then I might would stay with Alltel or even go back to AT&T, but Verizon is already out there and way ahead of AT&T, so reluctantly I will be moving to Verizon soon.
    Looking at data with Alltel it is currently $30 for 2GB whereas as with Verizon 2GB is $60, but shareable between 2 phones on a plan whereas Alltel does not have a share plan. My wife will not be getting a smartphone, therefore she will not need data and Verizon does give you an option to get less than 2GB, Alltel does not when it comes to a smartphone. As I will use my smartphone mainly on a wireless network I plan to get only 1GB of data with Verizon however it is $50.
    One last note, Alltel is still running many ads on TV here on the stations coming out of Savannah, GA which reaches out to the rural areas of Southeast Georgia where Alltel is still available. Now that they have been bought out, I am wondering how long the ads will continue?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

No more Alltel...

Att should cover those rural areas with lte, but its anyone's guess as to when.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

No more Alltel...

Quote Originally Posted by borolet View Post
    One last note, Alltel is still running many ads on TV here on the stations coming out of Savannah, GA which reaches out to the rural areas of Southeast Georgia where Alltel is still available. Now that they have been bought out, I am wondering how long the ads will continue?
    Until after the buyout is completed. After that's done, AT&T will likely start in place. They are acquiring AWCC from Atlantic Tele Network, and will be running Alltel separately until network integration is completed.

I wish AT&T well but I also hope that more lower cost providers like Sprint and T-Mobile increase their presence in the old AWCC areas.
    Last edited by fraydog; 03-16-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    I would like to correct some info I posted earlier in regards to the rural telephone co – ops in our area. I stated that they own the local franchise Alltel store. I stand corrected as I ran into one of the board members for our co-op recently and discussed it with him. He stated they don’t own the store but own several of the towers, so they do have a vested interest in the cell market to keep income generated and not through the store but through the towers. Below I have posted a link whereas all of the rural telephone co-ops here in Georgia collectively filed suit against Alltel in 2009. You can read some of the information on the suit in the link.
    If you look at the 6 states Alltel remained in there are rural telephone co-ops in most if not all of these areas and apparently they have something at stake in the cell business and I am wondering if this is why the FCC had Verizon divest them back in 2009 to save the interests of these co-ops? Does anyone else have any insight into this and what impact it might have on the AT&T buyout of Alltel?
    Here is the link: http://dockets.justia.com/docket/geo...v02186/160793/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast