Thread: Could they put DSL into the smaller communiites now fiber is in the cities?

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Could they put DSL into the smaller communiites now fiber is in the cities?

One would think Sasktel could put DSL into some of the smaller villages now the cities are starting to get fiber. Must be some old dsl cabinets that could get put in the villages now.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackroc View Post
    One would think Sasktel could put DSL into some of the smaller villages now the cities are starting to get fiber. Must be some old dsl cabinets that could get put in the villages now.
    I don't think SaskTel will start ripping out the DSL equipment until more of the city is cut over to fiber. It will take some time before everyone on the block actually moves over to fiber, first of all. Then there's the cost of re-deploying the DSL cabinets in a small town where you can only reach a few houses that are right in town... But, hey, it could happen. My feeling is that with that news release a while back with that fixed LTE trial, that's the future of how SaskTel is going to service the rural areas. It's a shame that SaskTel can't just do fiber to the farm, like they converted everyone from party lines however many years back.

Feedback Score
    The problem is not that they didn't have cabinets to deploy to rural areas, the problem is that rural areas have such low population density it's not cost effective for telcos to have the equipment in the right place to provide DSL service, or at least reliable DSL service.

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I have done some digging around the net and the dsl cabinets aren't overly pricey by any means. I don't think it is about the cost... You can find used 256 user cabinets for under 300 bucks.

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I don't see the fixed LTE as a service that would work for many. I guess people in small villages can forget about things like Netflix as the caps on fixed LTE would likely be 10gb a month. Fiber is already in the cdo's of many small villages and I am not suggesting they connect us to that just yet but hey at least DSL..

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackroc View Post
    I have done some digging around the net and the dsl cabinets aren't overly pricey by any means. I don't think it is about the cost... You can find used 256 user cabinets for under 300 bucks.
    You could find some off brand DSLAM for that cheap. But, now you need to buy the OSS system for it, spare parts, training, and build out facilities for it. Just to name a few things. Then you'd need to spend many hours per customer cutting out bridgetaps and conditioning the copper going to the customer, since it was never designed for DSL services.

Unfortunately, there's a lot more that goes into than just dropping in a cabinet.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    And anybody more than a short distance from the switch can't have DSL. It simply won't work.

Regina Beach has DSL. No problem. But my cottage is across the lake - same switch, but the cable goes around the lake, not directly across it - so the distance is too far for DSL to work.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Device(s)
    Xperia Z
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I guess another option would be for Sasktel to use the same brand of DSLAM they already use thus eliminating the need for training and spare parts as they would already be on hand. As far as conditioning the copper I assume they know how to do that as it is the same copper that was in the slightly bigger towns and the cities. But hey on the other hand it is super low cost to get fiber to the door of houses in the cities...