Thread: Strange phone call

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score

Strange phone call

I received a very strange phone call today from PC Mobile. It wasn't even directed to my PC cell phone. It was an automated message that dialed my Wind Mobile number, which I guess PC has on file, and it names correctly my PC mobile phone number that I don't give out to anyone at all. It said that it was a very important message, but then it didn't actually have any real information other than telling me about their website and who to contact if I have complaints about their service.

I phoned in, and apparently a large number of other customers receive the same phone call today. The guy says it's actually a glitch, and in fact he even implied that the phone call didn't even come from PC, but I can't think of any way that a third party would have found a way to connect the PC phone number that I don't give out to anyone, and my cell phone number that I do give out to friends, family and businesses.

Anyway, if anyone else here received a similarly strange phone call, feel free to add your voice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I received a text that says: "Free PC msg: Should you have a complaint about your PC mobile services that is not yet resolved, we can help at www.pctelecom.ca/support"

I haven't logged any complaints with PC Mobile's support. Maybe it's to head off porting out with holiday promotions from other providers.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    No idea. I had a mild twinge of dread as that call came in, because I wondered if it meant they'd silently disabled my unlimited browser plan. But that is not the case.

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Strange phone call

I also got 3 calls within minutes. First two from 866 768 1179 , third one is unknown number, on Dec 19 morning.

I also got the same "complaint not resolved" sms on Dec 21.

I ignored all of them.

Same here, my number is rarely given out, if any.

No longer on a leash by Fido

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Strange phone call

To clarify, all calls and sms came to PC Mobile line directly.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Things are afoot. In the last couple of months, I received notices in advance of monthly charges. This month I also received a confirmation that charges were successful. These have not happened previously.

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Another strange phenomenon. On Jan 1, 2013, at about half an hour to an hour after mid night (i.e. starting of 2013), I lost internet briefly and was directed to PC Mobile's webpage on my mobile phone's web browser, showing me that I have to subscribe to a data plan, and that I do not have a data plan.

My first thought was that the loophole has finished, and they have reset something that got activated on New Year's day and it's dead. But upon rebooting my phone, everything works fine again. Wooosh.

I think something did get reset, because I had not had that before, but luckily it wasn't that bad. If they had drained (I forgot to check) as regular rate, it would have depleted by now.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. My tab was on wi-fi at that moment so I would not have noticed. Flew out on the 1st and had no troubles. Still working every day since.

My last $100 deposit expires next month though, so I guess I'll have to take another $100 leap of faith...

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Interesting. My tab was on wi-fi at that moment so I would not have noticed. Flew out on the 1st and had no troubles. Still working every day since.

My last $100 deposit expires next month though, so I guess I'll have to take another $100 leap of faith...
    I'll prob take another one as well sighs... mines been working perfectly though. Some hiccups but going strong. That web.wireless.bell.ca proxy isn't required anymore for me at all, I get better pings without it too. I got a little paranoid later on though so I started sending my DNS information somewhere else ...
    roaming...