Thread: LTE in your markets?

Device(s)
    Blackberry BOld
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

LTE in your markets?

How many of you actually know if att has the spectrum to launch LTE in your area. When I worked for AT&T (not at&t), we were told what to expect in our local area. At this point in time LTE can only be launched in areas with 700Mhz, not 850, 1900, or 2100 (AWS). Do you know what licenses at&t has compared to other carriers, and what phones can be used at any frequency? Is it just a sales point to say that LTE is coming soon to your area? If you make such a sales point how can you say that your network or customers phone can use it? Are you just a tool, or is the customer just a tool? How can you as an expert say that LTE is coming to them? Ask the questions!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know they currently have no 700Mhz license for my area the NE corner of ALA. But they have one for Huntsville AL I think. What areas do they have only a 5x5 chunk of spectrum available? I would assume they would say that in areas they have only a 5x5 compared to a 10x10 they would have to advertise it differently but since the peak speeds are not advertised directly I guess its ok just to say LTE is Coming Soon.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    According to the Spectrum dashboard at FCC.gov AT&T owns 1 700Mhz license in my county, the 716 - 722 MHz band. Verizon leases 2 licenses covering 4 bands.

The curious thing is AT&T owns 4 WCS licenses covering 6 bands. This is the frequency that the FCC just recently ruled they could use for mobile data and AT&T announced plans to start LTE build out on it correct?
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer AT&T.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3G Guy View Post
    How many of you actually know if att has the spectrum to launch LTE in your area. When I worked for AT&T (not at&t), we were told what to expect in our local area. At this point in time LTE can only be launched in areas with 700Mhz, not 850, 1900, or 2100 (AWS). Do you know what licenses at&t has compared to other carriers, and what phones can be used at any frequency? Is it just a sales point to say that LTE is coming soon to your area? If you make such a sales point how can you say that your network or customers phone can use it? Are you just a tool, or is the customer just a tool? How can you as an expert say that LTE is coming to them? Ask the questions!
    Currently, AT&T is launching LTE on 700mhz airwaves 98% of the time. In markets they only have a little 700mhz but also AWS, they seem to be launching some AWS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdroid View Post
    I know they currently have no 700Mhz license for my area the NE corner of ALA. But they have one for Huntsville AL I think. What areas do they have only a 5x5 chunk of spectrum available? I would assume they would say that in areas they have only a 5x5 compared to a 10x10 they would have to advertise it differently but since the peak speeds are not advertised directly I guess its ok just to say LTE is Coming Soon.
    In areas where you see two listings for 700mhz that each have two frequency ranges (paired spectrum), they can launch a 10x10 network. For example, here is what the spectrum dashboard shows for my area (Louisville), where AT&T currently has a 10x10 network:

Name:  attjeff.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  46.4 KB

Starting with the second listing, match the frequency numbers. The first set on the second listing is 704-710. The first set on the first listing is 710-716. This provides on continuous chunk of spectrum ranging from 704-716. Now do the same for the second set for each listing (734-740 + 740-746...a range of 734-746).

704-710 + 710-716 = 12mhz available
    734-740 + 740-746 = 12mhz available
    24mhz total available

This allows them to launch one network with 10mhz up and 10mhz down, with 2mhz in each set going unused.

Let's contrast that with the listing for the Chicago area:

Name:  attchi.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  43.1 KB

Since LTE requires paired spectrum (must have two sets of frequencies- one for upload, one for download), we see Chicago only has that 710-716 + 740-746 block and nothing else.

734-740 + 740-746 = 12mhz available
    12mhz total available

This allows them to launch one network with 5mhz up and 5mhz down, with 1mhz in each set going unused. In these areas, AT&T has been/will be launching additional LTE on AWS frequencies. How much additional LTE? Once again, this depends on their amount of AWS. The same math applies. You can look this up on the Spectrum Dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerRuling View Post
    According to the Spectrum dashboard at FCC.gov AT&T owns 1 700Mhz license in my county, the 716 - 722 MHz band. Verizon leases 2 licenses covering 4 bands.

The curious thing is AT&T owns 4 WCS licenses covering 6 bands. This is the frequency that the FCC just recently ruled they could use for mobile data and AT&T announced plans to start LTE build out on it correct?
    That 716-722mhz spectrum (Qualcomm's old spectrum) is essentially useless right now. Like I said, current revisions of the LTE both AT&T and Verizon deploy require paired spectrum with dedicated upload and download frequencies. AT&T has plans to use carrier aggregation to pair AWS LTE deployments with that 716-722mhz spectrum at some point in the future.

That being said, AT&T did get approval from the FCC to deploy LTE in WCS spectrum, but that is still quite a ways off:

"We expect to commence deployment of LTE infrastructure in the [WCS] band in as early as three years, allowing us to enhance our wireless broadband services."

Using all the above data, you should be able to call bullsh** on sales reps or otherwise when they list LTE as "coming soon". Or you may find your area is in a better position than you thought. Keep in mind that right now AT&T is only launching on 700mhz paired spectrum, and a little bit of AWS-1700 spectrum. Everything else is currently sitting on the sidelines.

Hope this helps!