Thread: Way around data plans?

Feedback Score

Way around data plans?

Just wondering if anyone had heard of this or knew if it might work.

I, like most people, would like a smart phone and do not want to pay for a data plan. I attend a university and am surrounded by wifi 24/7 so I wouldn't be using the data anyhow. I'm up for a new phone with Verizon and was wondering if it would be possible to get a new smart phone, get the minimum data plan, and then in a month cancel the data plan? The phone would already be activated and I'm not sure they could just deactivate my phone without my consent?

I have heard of people getting the data fee waved by threatening to cancel their service with Verizon. I figured this may be a work around to a long term data plan without having to get angry with a Verizon rep. Ideas? Has anyone heard of someone doing this before?

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: Way around data plans?

I hate to burst your bubble but VZW been raping people for record profits. You be better off complaining to the FCC.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    with the way Verizon has setup their systems internally, you can not activate any current smartphones without a data plan at all.

The only loophole around that is, any smartphones (except BlackBerries) that were made/sold by Verizon before November 2008 can be activated without a dataplan. The loophole in detail is that these smartphones existed when Verizon offered Pay-As-You go data, which you can still select when activating these smartphones, and then adding the 'data block' feature on top. I have a few of these smartphones in pristine conditions that if I ever have kids, they'll have $10 smartphone add-on lines

Another possibility you might want to look into is to get a dump/feature phone, and just buy an iPod touch/iPad mini. Download Google Voice/Tango/Skype for WiFi Calling (note, you must user speakerphone, or use headphones with mics), and use Google Voice/What's App for text messaging. If you're blanketed with WiFi all over university, and you spend most of your time there, this could be a VERY affordable option for you.

You can afford buying an iPod touch/iPad mini by upgrading and selling the smartphone with Verizon, and switching back to a feature phone. Do this every 2 years, and you should have make a small profit at the end of it. After graduation, you should have an upgrade available to you again (assuming you're at a 4 year university, and this is the first year), you'll get a job (hopefully with a fatty corporate discount) and you can afford the data plans that Verizon offers.

Lastly, another option would be to go the PagePlus, MetroPCS, SmartTalk, and MVNO route instead.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ire-data-plans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoMan.EXE View Post
    with the way Verizon has setup their systems internally, you can not activate any current smartphones without a data plan at all.

I have heard of people complaining about the data plans and threatening to cancel their service if it is not waived. In some instances the data plan has been waved. My housemate worked for Verizon this summer in Texas. He notified me that you actually can activate smart phones (at least the 3G, he wasn't sure about the 4GLT whatever) without a data plan... Verizon just likes to screw everyone.

This is why I guess my original question was poorly asked... If I sign up for a data plan, activate a smart phone, and a month later cancel the data plan... can Verizon deactivate my smartphone? Basically leaving me phone-less in the process?

I asked my housemate and he was unsure. That is why I posted to see what your guys' views were. Anyone heard of someone doing this? Successfully or unsuccessfully?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Way around data plans?

There have been no reports online or in my experience that says you can activate/use a smartphone on Verizon's Network without a data plan except for the aforementioned exception I pointed out earlier. The system will simply not let you do it.

Your friend is wrong. That is the cold hard truth.

Although I would imagine if there is Dumb/Feature phone with no data that utilizes a Verizon's 4G LTE SIM Card, there is a possibility that you could take that SIM card and put it into a 4G LTE Smartphone. Although the chances of that happening are slim as I'm not aware of any Verizon Feature Phones that uses SIM card and I'm sure that would have had to happen before the 'share everything' plans took over.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bjones199 View Post
    I have heard of people complaining about the data plans and threatening to cancel their service if it is not waived. In some instances the data plan has been waved. My housemate worked for Verizon this summer in Texas. He notified me that you actually can activate smart phones (at least the 3G, he wasn't sure about the 4GLT whatever) without a data plan... Verizon just likes to screw everyone.

This is why I guess my original question was poorly asked... If I sign up for a data plan, activate a smart phone, and a month later cancel the data plan... can Verizon deactivate my smartphone? Basically leaving me phone-less in the process?

I asked my housemate and he was unsure. That is why I posted to see what your guys' views were. Anyone heard of someone doing this? Successfully or unsuccessfully?
    Long story short: if you activate a new smartphone on your line, you cannot remove the data plan without removing the smartphone.

The only way to cancel the data plan is to activate a non-smartphone on your account. If you do that, and then try to activate a post-2008 smartphone afterwards, the system won't let you activate the smartphone on your account without also adding a data plan.

If you want to have a newer smartphone on your account, you'll have to pay for a data plan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoMan.EXE View Post
    Although I would imagine if there is Dumb/Feature phone with no data that utilizes a Verizon's 4G LTE SIM Card, there is a possibility that you could take that SIM card and put it into a 4G LTE Smartphone. Although the chances of that happening are slim as I'm not aware of any Verizon Feature Phones that uses SIM card and I'm sure that would have had to happen before the 'share everything' plans took over.
    Yeah, there aren't any feature phones that use LTE SIM cards for authenticating on Verizon's network (there might be some that have GSM SIM cards for global roaming, but those SIM cards won't do any good inside the U.S., nor will they authenticate the line on the network). And I'm sure there won't be any until Verizon implements voice over LTE across their entire network and completely gets rid of their EvDo network, which will be quite awhile.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know thats not what you wanted to hear, and I'm glad bsweetness is backing me up on the same conclusion. If the data plan price is deal breaker, and you don't want to go the prepaid dealer (PagePlus or similar), what's wrong with the dumbphone + Galaxy Player/iPod Touch 5th Generation? You said it yourself that you got WiFi everywhere!

Galaxy Player (Comes in 3.6, 4.0, 4.2, 5.0 and 5.8 inch screens)
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-YP-G70.../dp/B005P1VNDW

iPod Touch (5th Generation)
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-touch-Wh.../dp/B0097BEF1S

It's like having an Android/iOS smartphone but without silly data prices!

http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-5-vs-ipod-touch-5g/24488/

Feedback Score
    OP-

Sadly for the consumer, VZW is not in the business of giving away free smartphones just to have the user deactivate the data plan one month into a 24 month agreement. Like, the above poster stated, you could buy an ipod touch or something similar. You could also take advantage of a free/cheap smartphone, reactivate your basic phone, and use your smartphone wifi only. Best of luck.

If you do try the "call them up and complain about the data plan method," please let us know how that works out. Just be advised that we are all darn near 100% positive you won't like the outcome.