Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: SpeakOut mobile browsing NOT unlimited, not even close -'Fair usage' = 2Gb MAX

Device(s)
    LG P690
    Carrier(s)
    Speak Out Canada
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it's mentioned in SpeakOut's TOS.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^I mean, I'm not a fan of calling plans unlimited unless they're, well, unlimited. However, if they mentioned it in the TOS then I can't really fault them. I remember reading stories about Mobilicity's $10/"unlimited" data plan where the usage cap never was mentioned anywhere and it was just chalked up to common sense. At least SO is explicit about their cap.

Feedback Score
    This is a STUPID THREAD started by the OP..

Listen up OP..

if I go to a store and buy "PEANUT FREE" Food, %100 nut free..

I should expect there to be nuts in it and I should accept death because of it.

Just like the Telcos can say Unlimited data in stead of 2GB...

case closed, lesson? Speakout is scum.

hehehe (yes I am nuts)

Seriously I am with the OP, if it is 2GB why not just say 2GB instead of UNLIMITED... anyone who sides with SPeakout is a spineless wimp.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my life, Unlimited = no limit.. Just say 2GB. In any other industry there would have been a class action against these clowns, instead we have noobs standing up for the rapest telcos. Unlimited.. I mean unbelievable.

Speakout should change the add to 2GB of data for $10

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    ^Is the 2 GB cap mentioned somewhere that a customer would see upon signing up?

I'm not a fan of unlimited plans that aren't really unlimited. But if the company does mention the cap very clearly, then I don't mind so much i.e. Skype's "unlimited" US/CAN calling plan has 10000 minutes. I would rather it be called "the 10000 minutes plan", as I'd rather see unlimited really mean unlimited...but at least Skype is open about their cap.
    And that's the main point. Whether it's mentioned clearly. It's not. In fact, there's no mention of it at all on the product page. This is from another forum, but it addresses your question:

You're welcome. And you're not the only one unaware of the nowhere-near-'unlimited' 2Gb cap before signing on. As mentioned in a post on the previous page, at least half a dozen other SpeakOut customers in another thread indicated they didn't know about the cap before they suddenly got an SMS telling them their browsing add-on had been cancelled. The reason almost no one knows about it is that SpeakOut intentionally doesn't mention either the cap or even the existence of a 'Fair Usage Policy' on the 'Unlimited Browsing Add-on' page on its site. You have to read the fine print, which SpeakOut knows almost no one does. So they advertise the service as 'unlimited', get a few corporate trolls posing as fan-boys to lie on forums like RFD saying you can download 2Gb per day without any problems and continue to rake it in.

To quote Sascha Segan of PCMag:

htrab1 1 month ago
    We have an MVNO in Canada that goes by the name of SpeakOut 7-Eleven (Petro-Canada and possibly other names) that is similar to Straight Talk. You can pretty much substitute the two companies' names throughout the article; their policies are nearly identical, except Straight Talk has a soft cap, where speeds are first throttled and consumers are given a heads up that they've exceeded the cap the company intentionally hid in the ToS. SpeakOut just disconnects users then sends them SMS after-the-fact advising them of the disconnection. You stay classy, SpeakOut. I wonder what Sascha would have to say about that.

Sascha Segan 1 month ago in reply to htrab1
    That's appalling. You don't have better choices? I know there are about a dozen MVNOs in Canada, although I haven't looked into them too closely.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting post and yes, I'm very sympathetic to your view on this. I am not a fan of companies hiding behind their marketing with fine print that contradicts it. By all means, market it as "virtually unlimited" or "almost unlimited" or "fabulous deal" or whatever. But just plain old "unlimited" implies that it is, well, unlimited. If it isn't unlimited, then the only reason formarketing it as unlimited is because it sounds better than "nearly unlimited usage on a non-smartphone, with a 2 GB cap."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    Interesting post and yes, I'm very sympathetic to your view on this. I am not a fan of companies hiding behind their marketing with fine print that contradicts it. By all means, market it as "virtually unlimited" or "almost unlimited" or "fabulous deal" or whatever. But just plain old "unlimited" implies that it is, well, unlimited. If it isn't unlimited, then the only reason formarketing it as unlimited is because it sounds better than "nearly unlimited usage on a non-smartphone, with a 2 GB cap."
    You raise a couple of interesting points.

You refer to "nearly unlimited usage on a non-smartphone with a 2 GB cap". You're right of course, in that 2Gb using a WAP browser would be virtually unlimted. But that presumes something: that the 2Gb cap is a legacy policy, left over from years ago when there were few to no smartphones. In fact, that 2Gb cap was just added to the fine print last summer, June/July 2012. Prior to that the browsing service was actually unlimited, subject to a vague system abuse policy. There were no reports on any of the major forums (Howard, MobileSyrup, RFD, etc) of SpeakOut subscribers having their browsing sevice disconnected for exceeding any usage cap up until a few months ago. Both the 2Gb cap and the disconnections without notice are quite recent to SpeakOut.

In terms of marketing, I somewhat disagree in that I don't think they need to oversell it by referring to it in any way as 'unlimited'. On its own, the 2 Gb browsing/data plan is pretty decent for $10/month. If SpeakOut simply marketed it as such, 2 Gb for $10/month, and subscribers could simply add another $10 if their usage exceed it for another 2 Gb increment, it would do quite well. While new entrants like WIND, Mobilicity and PublicMobile offer more data per dollar (eg Mobilicity - 20 Gb for $20), SpeakOut's data is available on a nationwide network (Rogers). I really shouldn't be doing their marketing for them, but there you go.

Unfortunately, SpeakOut has instead chosen to lie to its customers, piss them off with its tactics and employ corporate trolls to frequent forums like this and try to insult users for calling the company out on its dishonest marketing practices. Any legitimate company would probably fire whoever was responsible for this train-wreck of a marketing effort.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4