Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: StarTac Firmware Flashing (CDMA)

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb StarTac Firmware Flashing (CDMA)

I know there's older threads... And old old older threads.. But rather than go resurrecting a worthy topic from the dead, I figured to ride this one out one last time in style.

I'm wondering if anyone came across any firmware files for the CDMA StarTacs. I'm in the same boat as a lot of the other posters from years past. I've got the software, the interface and the cable -- so I'm ready to rock 'n roll. Just need an EHX file to try to update it! My 7868W is dying to get some MO-SMS.

Anybody out there have any suggestions where to look or maybe access to one?

Firmware 7582 is the one I'm really looking to get.

IIRC, firmware 7582 was the one that didn't require a new FLEX for Verizon handsets to add the MO-SMS capability. Word on the street was that this was done to allow for not only corporate retail stores to perform the updates quickly (without worrying about FLEXing and the risks associated with it) but also allowed for dealer locations to work this update without needing expensive equipment. It was supposedly released to the masses.

If that's true, firmware 7582.ehx surely should be floating around the net somewhere!

If it's not, maybe it's on one of somebody's old ZIP disks or maybe there's a nice VZW employee out there.

Anybody??

Feedback Score
    Not sure you will ever see this but thought I would ask; I'm very curious to know if you were ever able to resolve this as I'm jumping into a StarTac project head first.

Anyway, if you do see this, I would welcome the chance to speak with you.

Thanks,
    Gary

Feedback Score
    And here a billion years later I too wish anyone could offer this data. (Just playing with old phones for fun.)

Feedback Score
    I love playing with my iPhone 4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox W. View Post
    And here a billion years later I too wish anyone could offer this data. (Just playing with old phones for fun.)

I have the original program to do the flash, including the dongle emulator. Now all I need a flash file. Ideally 7582.ehx. Anyone able to help? I can trade software?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Check XDA_Developers.com. That is your best bet.

I seriously doubt that there is any support for a phone that old, considering this thread was started in 2012.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    You are correct, there was no support.. The entropy of the Internet had lost almost all support... just bits and pieces of information scattered in a sea of dead links, and mostly Russian hacker sites. But I prevailed, my white whale was elusive.

Do I care really about the practicality? No, of course not.. It tasks me though, it tasks me!

(My original problem is I have a Telus/Canada MSL locked P8767 that refused to use CDMA 800mhz, it always favored PCS 1900Mhz (Sprint) but Sprint nor any of its MVNOs will activate my ESN. Page Plus however, will, so I needed CDMA 800)

I found, with the help of Russians, all the software I needed and a working firmware file that is compatible with a number of the later CDMA Startac / Early Timeport phones ; this MSL unlocked the phone and let me set my SPC/MSL using the full version of Motorola Identity Programmer to 000000 ; I then set the NAM and PRL info for Verizon ; and then page plus activation was trivial.

If anyone else wants to accomplish the pointless task of walking around with a fully working relic like some hipster, contact me and I'll share with you the specifics and software for free.

You don't even want to know how much I paid those Russians for this crap. But even more absurd than what I've gone through, is that they still hoard this crap like it's gold... regardless of how obsolete it is, making a mere fun hobby turn in to a costly odyssey.

Feedback Score

Help me Fox W, you're my only hope!

You are correct, there was no support.. The entropy of the Internet had lost almost all support... just bits and pieces of information scattered in a sea of dead links, and mostly Russian hacker sites. But I prevailed, my white whale was elusive...
    I actively carry this phone every once in a while, but if i could only receive text messages I could ditch my iPhone and Android forever! Seriously, for me being the tech professional I am this is a huge visual win whenever I meet with older clients (or Verizon representatives) and they see that my supposed primary phone is a 7868W.

I have a cable and the starfish tools, a windows 2000 laptop with serial port, and i'll scrape together anything else I may need to get this going. My eternal gratitude for making this a reality. Thank you in advance!

- Bobby

Feedback Score
    I'll help any way I can, but I'm surprised it cannot receive text messages, or did you mean send? Unfortunately the one hurdle I still have not overcome is sms. I can receive, but not send. The reason for this is because my firmware is too early. Later firmware/flex versions supported MO-SMS, see here for revisions: http://osiris.978.org/~brianr/mirror...ess/swrev.html

The only firmware I was able to acquire is version 7058. What we want to find is 7574 or 7582. I have not been able to. :/

Linked below is the software you need to flash your phone as well as edit the NAM and PRL info. If you phone is SPC/MSL locked to a carrier, then to unlock it you'll need to use the flash program with the '7058SPC.EMG' file, and follow instructions. Once flashed, you can use the identity programmer to read the new SPC code and then change it to all zeros (000000) ; this makes your phone capable of working freely for programming. However if your phone isn't locked, and your software is already 7058 or newer, then don't do anything.

Also, if you read the above link info on FLEX, you'll find that the MO-SMS feature can possibly be added via a newer flex file update. The problem is, the three that I own (and included in the below link) are uncertain to me in regards to if they are compatible or not with my phone/firmware.. so I have been unwilling to try one. It is possible one of those will enable MO-SMS.. but I'm also not sure if that would require different firmware still in conjunction. The link above has only a few flex versions, none of which are either the one my phone does have nor do they correlate with the 3 I have in the below link.

Try the latest (c90b.emg) if you dare, or find us later firmware to use with this software, and please share.

http://snowfoxstudios.com/~otherfox/...a-software.zip

Feedback Score
    The only firmware I was able to acquire is version 7058. What we want to find is 7574 or 7582. I have not been able to. :/
    Correct, I did mean that I can only receive SMS as I want the ability to reply with MO-SMS.

Mine has the base firmware version 6654, I'll try upgrading to whatever you think I should try - I'll get it hooked up this weekend and post the results. I've had a lot of success with the internet archive when resurrecting dead links. For example, the ridge.trideja.com/wireless/channels/index.html site is dead but on archive.org it's alive and well. So if you know of some dead firmware pages we could try variations on the internet archive.

- Bobby

Wireless Phones - Software & Drivers https;//web.archive.org/web/20010714034651/http;//ridge.trideja.com:80/wireless/drivers/
    *** replace the semicolons with colons - - ^ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ^
    Last edited by fibrewire; 06-12-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    And here I am, almost a year later, wanting to do this very same thing.

I have recently acquired a Sprint 7867W with firmware version 6327, and I'm wondering if, by chance, there is a later version that will:
    a) Enable me to send SMS as well as receive
    b) Enable the phone to operate on CDMA 800 so I can roam more easily (or is this a hardware-level thing?)

I've downloaded all the files linked on this thread, and I'm waiting for a serial data cable which may or may not be up to the task of flashing firmware to the phone (it may be nothing but a data cable).

Any help would be appreciated!

c

Feedback Score
    Oops! Double post....

c

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cc333 View Post
    And here I am, almost a year later, wanting to do this very same thing.
    When I get around to it this weekend i'll let you know how that c90b.emg works! Real life got in the way and I spaced on that upgrade.

- Bobby

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately I have not been able to get a firmware version that includes the two-way SMS. The only reason to flash the firmware file I uploaded is if you have a MSL. I think a SPL with Sprint is easy to get around, there is a unlock code generator out there, and then you can change it to 700Mhz. Bear in mind the Sunset date for all CDMA with VZ is the 1st of 2020.. so all this will stop working soon.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rk-by-end-2019

Feedback Score
    Right, but both Sprint and USCC CDMA aren't due to shut down for at least another year or two afterwards as far as I can tell (please let me know if I'm mistaken!), so, while having no VZW CDMA will hurt, it won't hurt too much, because Sprint coverage is fine in most places in the SF Bay Area as far as I can tell, and USCC fills in the gaps up in Lake and Mendocino counties quite nicely.

That being said, I'm not too set on two-way SMS; I have my modern smartphone for that. All I care about is unlocking CDMA 850 so I can roam! And if this update does this, that would be excellent!

Keep me informed!

c

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast