Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: S3, or wait for S4?

Feedback Score

S3, or wait for S4?

I've yet to buy my first smartphone, and have decided on the S3, but I'm told that the S4 will be out in several months. What sort of upgrades should we expect to see on the 4, and would you say it's best for me to wait for it, or just get the 3?
    Last edited by Phone Caw; 11-19-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is real no info on S4 yet, other than a rumour that it may be shown in Madrid in February. So it will be at least 6 months or more before it's actually released in Europe and then later in North America. Only you can decide if you want to wait that long or not.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Caw View Post
    I've yet to buy my first smartphone, and have decided on the S3, but I'm told that the S4 will be out in several months. What sort of upgrades should we expect to see on the 4, and would you say it's best for me to wait for it, or just get the 3?
    Phone Caw is right. They may reveal the model in Feb but there is no news about when the phone is going to be launched. I would go for an S3 or Nexus 4 instead of waiting for that long. Are you upgrading your contract or looking for an unlocked phone?

Feedback Score
    I presently just have an old cell phone (flip phone) on a month-to month basis. I've had the S3 offered to me by Telus retentions for $159.00; 200 min; 1 GB; yaddy yaddy on a 3 yr., but I see that London Drugs is now offering the S3 on a 3 yr for $0 (but likely 100 MB only).

BTW, when will JellyBean be available for the S3? (BC, Canada)

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: S3, or wait for S4?

Just think twice about a 3 year contract. There may be a better deal one day.

Feedback Score
    I got the S3 tonight at London Drugs. They have it on for $0 with the 3 yr Telus term, but I had a pretty good offer from Telus retentions on file, so it's all good.

When will Jelly Bean be avaialable for the S3 in western Canada?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128 Gb, iPad Pro 12.9 128 Gb
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I presently just have an old cell phone (flip phone) on a month-to month basis. I've had the S3 offered to me by Telus retentions for $159.00; 200 min; 1 GB; yaddy yaddy on a 3 yr., but I see that London Drugs is now offering the S3 on a 3 yr for $0 (but likely 100 MB only).

BTW, when will JellyBean be available for the S3? (BC, Canada)
    1 GB.... OUCH! I am with Telus and I am holding onto my voice and data promo 70 and they will have to remove it from my cold dead hands hahaha. I got the 70.00 plan that includes 6 Gb, 200 mins, VM included, early evenings and weekends @ 6PM, unlimited messaging, Fav 10 nationwide.... etc. I don't know if there is even a current 6 Gb plan is there??

Anyway regarding the S3 I just got it using my upgrade. (I also have the iPhone 4s) It's got a REALLY nice screen and the phone itself feels and looks great! It may be awhile for the S4... If you get it, I recommend the samsung branded flip cover since it adds no bulk and protects the screen from scratches (and also from grease etc since you can talk with it closed)

Feedback Score
    Get the GS3 now. It is the best smartphone! I am amazed at the power of the Galaxy S3, it is based on Android, and Android was based on Linux, and Linux based on Unix! It is as flexible as a PC, you can just drag and drop any files to it, like a Windows environment, and it works great, videos, music files.

Feedback Score
    Like I said above, I did buy it.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Well, you've had it a day, where's the review?

Feedback Score
    Heh-heh, ya that's just what we need, another review on the S3, and by a nooby to boot.

It is fantastic though, I must say. I've heard about how buttery smooth Jelly Bean is, but the present OS seems pretty sweet as it is. I recall hearing reviews that claimed that the S3 felt "cheap" due to the plastic, but I find that it feels very solid and weighty.

It's shape is such that I can see how it would be easy to drop, so I am open to suggestions as to what is the best cover for it. I think that a minimalistic cover would be best to retain its pocketability.

For some strange reason, one of my two email addresses won't sync up. I guess I'll take it to a Telus store and ask them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5/ Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    There's no point in waiting for the S4. By using that logic you'll find yourself always waiting for the next phone/car/deal because it will be twice as great as the one this year. The hardware is evolving so fast that every year's phone will be tenfold as good as the last year model. The Galaxy S3 is a great phone and I quite enjoy using it, I also highly recommend it.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Heh-heh, ya that's just what we need, another review on the S3, and by a nooby to boot.
    The open and unbiased mind can always provide insight. And are you kin to Phone Call and Ma Caw?

It is fantastic though, I must say. I've heard about how buttery smooth Jelly Bean is, but the present OS seems pretty sweet as it is.
    I had gingerbread for a year; it ran great and I had no desire for change. Just got ics and it is amazing though it brought a few at unwelcome guest bugs. I can't imagine how jellybean could be an improvement but that's what people say.

It's shape is such that I can see how it would be easy to drop, so I am open to suggestions as to what is the best cover for it. I think that a minimalistic cover would be best to retain its pocketability.
    I prefer minimalism, too, and got silicone though it may be inadequate for a drop on concrete. Haven't dropped it yet.

For some strange reason, one of my two email addresses won't sync up. I guess I'll take it to a Telus store and ask them.
    You'd probably get better help on Telus forum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry didnt read it thoroughly ...!!
    Last edited by rohanjain91; 11-24-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Sorry didnt read it thoroughly ...!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rohanjain91 View Post
    There is no date for s4 and waiting for it would not be a good idea.. S3 would be obviously better than the phone u have right now.. So i would say if u r ready to go into a contract go for the s3 with 2 year plan ..
    It's always a good idea to read the posts subsequent to the initial one. You'll see that I bought the S3, and am enjoying it thoroughly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast