Thread: 'Telus' Telemarketing scam from 1-866-369-9826?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score

'Telus' Telemarketing scam from 1-866-369-9826?

I just received a call from a "company" claiming to be calling "on behalf of Telus". The guy on the phone knew my account information, but didn't ask for a pin number or anything like that (just my first name). I got My caller ID said 1-866-369-9826 (United States). It wasnt the first time they called, but was the first time I picked up. He reassured me that this is a free call for me.

He had my whole plan in front of him and asked if I wanted to change it. He offered me a terrible plan and then told me that he can sell me a new phone because my Galaxy Nexus is old and is "breaking down" since it's life cycle is finishing (I've had this phone for less than a year). I became convinced that this is a scam. I told him that he doesn't know what he's talking about and after a few seconds of silence, I told him he's full of **** and asked him to repeat his company name (since I didn't hear it clearly the first time he said it). At that moment, he hung up.

Immediately after this, I called the number back. It was Telus! The automated Telus machine answered and I went though the menus to speak to a person. Once I got to the customer service department, the lady told me that she doesn't know of a third party that does telemarketing for Telus. She checked my account for any record of someone calling me today/all week from telus. There were no records.

After doing a few google searches on the phone number, I found that others have been getting these phone calls. http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/8663699826

I somewhat remembered the sound of the company he claimed he was from (i know it started with a k, q, or c). Someone on the link above posted that it's these guys: John-Keells

This name does sound familiar, so I'm going to put the blame on them.

Has anyone else gotten such a call or know any more about this? How much of my information do they have?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think this is actually pretty common. I have friends and family members who get lots of these calls: as you say, they're there to sell you average plans and basically get you to spend money and extend your contract. I've had family members try to negociate with these telemarketers (i.e. as though they are speaking to retentions) but that's a bad idea because these people would be very limited in terms of what they can do.

There are occasional promotions that come up that are actually somewhat decent, but most of the time I just tell them I'm not interested.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score

Re: 'Telus' Telemarketing scam from 1-866-369-9826?

Just put your number in tge do not call list - I did and dont get such calls.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using HowardForums

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Bold 9900: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.391 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote Originally Posted by xtachx

I did that when the list first came out...worst thing I ever did! I never got telemarketing calls until I put myself on the list. The problem with that list is that it's only enforceable within Canada. So international companies (or local companies operating outside of Canada) use this list a calling list instead of a do not call list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post

Do not call list doesn't apply to businesses with which you have an ongoing relationship. If you have a Telus account, then telus or a 3rd party contracted on their behalf can call you.

Feedback Score
    Just found this topic because I received a call from that number minutes ago. First time I get this kind of calls.
    I'm also on Telus.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Just received a call from this number and I`m on prepaid! Fortunately I read this thread a few days ago so I wasn`t surprised by it.

DNCL is a scam since I was told once they use the list as a call list. Also Canadian companies with foreign call centres use it like that as well.

I wonder if this had anything to do with the calendars....

Device(s)
    LG vx3200
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I just received a call from this number.
    They offered me 100MB of data a month for free for 3 months on my phone that had no data plan on it.
    I told them i wasnt interested and hung up.
    I called telus and they said that it was a promotion they were offering at the time.
    They said that they have 3rd party companys that call and make the promotions.
    It looks like it was legit but the telus rep wouldnt comment on the number that called me.

Feedback Score

1-866-369-9826 is LEGIT

I live in Ottawa Canada and I got a call from this suspicious number saying it was the Telus win back team. I was their customer for 15 years and left because Telus wouldn't lower my bill once I'd paid for my phone. Two years later they called and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I said OK until they wanted to do a credit check ( 2 of either a credit card, Social Insurance Number or driver's licence) which disturbed me because I was an A+ customer for 15 years and so we scheduled a call back. They knew all the details of my old account.
    I called the mobile kiosk where I had switched to Virgin two years ago and they said a credit check is pretty much common once your account is closed. So I called the suspect number and a Telus announcement came on, asking French or English and referred to the recent mobile offer that was made. I then spoke to a rep and he seemed legit. But I was still nervous and said I'll wait for the call back from my original rep.
    Then I called the Telus main number at 1-866-558-2273 and spoke to a rep who was able to look up the details of my win back offer and she said it was legit, the win back group was legit and she offered to connect me with them. She said their "outbound telemarketing group" has a different number than her group, which I later learned was the inbound telemarketing group. She also said a credit check is required once an account is closed and she deals with concerns over that a lot. I thanked her for confirming the validity of the number but I wanted to wait for my scheduled call back.
    On the call back, because I own my phone, I went with Koodo to get the best deal. I received a free SIM card by courier and today installed it and activated my account at no cost.
    Last edited by Wilson4; 03-16-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: typo

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Who cares? This is a 7 year old thread! *SMH*

Mods, please lock it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Yesh, no wonder this place is a graveyard. Chill out.