Thread: How to set up Petro Canada web browsing on Galasy S2

Feedback Score

How to set up Petro Canada web browsing on Galasy S2

*Galaxy, not galasy. This why you don't trouble shoot at 10:40 at night when you have a cold
    I know this is a long shot, but I need help setting up the web browsing on my Galaxy S2.
    The phone is unlocked, rooted, NOT purchased from inside of Canada, and running 4.0.3
    These are my APN settings

Name: test
    APN: goam.com
    Proxy: 10.128.1.69
    Port: 80
    Username: wapuser1
    Password: wap
    Server: none
    MMSC: http:/mms.gprs.rogers.com
    MMS proxy: 10.128.1.69
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 720
    Authentication type: not set
    APN type: internet + mms
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN enabled/disabled: enabled
    bearer: unspecified

I can't seem to get a connection going, I enable use packet data and data roaming, network mode is on GSM/MCDMA (auto mode). When I scan for network operators I select Petro-Canada and when I click it it says registering on Petro-Canada, and then it says register complete. I set my homepage on Dolphin to wap:8582/start.wml, but I get nothing. What am I doing wrong? The texting works fine, I just can't get this web browsing set up properly. Is there anything I am missing? If someone who owns a S2 with a properly configured APN could post how they have theirs set up I would be eternally grateful.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I can't speak for a S2, I have a GIO and everything I have in mine is the same, except for the last 3 lines they don't exist in my apn.

Do you have a proxy set up? I use the paid version of Autoproxy.

Device(s)
    Sharp SH-09D
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    i use a s3, but i just create a apn, and only setup the following..

Name: Petro
    APN: goam.com
    Proxy: 10.128.1.69
    Port: 80
    Username: wapuser1
    Password: wap
    [Selling 6FT DVI to DVI Cables]

My Call Sign for XBOX Live is : SS Talon
    My Call Sign for PS3 is : sstalon
    Game Center is : sstalon
    Ping is : sstalon
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wongster View Post
    i use a s3, but i just create a apn, and only setup the following..

Name: Petro
    apn: Goam.com
    proxy: 10.128.1.69
    port: 80
    username: Wapuser1
    password: Wap
    thank you so much! This worked! I love you so much
    Now this is my first web browsing plan, so what are the limitations? I assume anything accessed through the browser falls under the unlimited part.
    Last edited by esposition; 09-23-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by esposition View Post
    Now this is my first web browsing plan, so what are the limitations? I assume anything accessed through the browser falls under the unlimited part.
    Hi,

I have this working on my Gio and my wifes S1.

You didn't answer me on if you had a Proxy app set up yet. Once you do that then pretty much everything will work. The proxy I use required root access first. I do not know if there are any out there that do not require root.

Have you seen this thread over on RFD? If not take a look. The 1st post has all the setup info required.
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/speak...bile_type=full

Glenn

Device(s)
    Sharp SH-09D
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    lol NP... from what i see that dont work.. voip apps, chat apps like whatsapp. and a few others.. but i use a downloaded a app from google play called proxy droid, and it opened me up to everything.. u do need to root your sg2 to have it work though.

Edit:
    This is from another post, but read this as well.

Here is the link.

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/221.aspx

Unlimited Web Browsing Fair Usage

The unlimited web browsing fair usage policy exists to ensure all customers enjoy optimal data usage on the network. Petro-Canada Mobility reserves the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred and to deny or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone Petro-Canada Mobility believes is using the Petro-Canada Mobility unlimited web browsing Service in any manner prohibited above or whose usage exceeds 2GB per month. Petro-Canada Mobility may attempt to notify you by text message advising of the application of the Fair Usage Policy. If we determine that you are using the Service in violation of the Petro-Canada Mobility Terms and Conditions of Service then we may terminate individual calls, data connections, unlimited web browsing or completely terminate your Service, decline to renew your Service, or offer you a different Service plan. If your service is terminated due to violation of this policy, you may forfeit any unused balances including minutes, text and/or data.

Feedback Score
    Alright so following the directions of that thread, I installed proxymator and then set it up as follows:

host : 10.128.1.69
    port:80
    type: http
    username: wapuser1
    password: wap

Now that this is set up and after I run it, am I free to use apps when I have 3g access? I'm a little uncertain how this works exactly. If you could post your set up for proxydroid that would be splendid . Sorry for the late response, and I really appreciate your help. Also yes my phone is rooted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by asharx View Post
    Hi,

I have this working on my Gio and my wifes S1.

You didn't answer me on if you had a Proxy app set up yet. Once you do that then pretty much everything will work. The proxy I use required root access first. I do not know if there are any out there that do not require root.

Have you seen this thread over on RFD? If not take a look. The 1st post has all the setup info required.

Glenn
    Alright so following the directions of that thread, I installed proxymator and then set it up as follows:

Now that this is set up and after I run it, am I free to use apps when I have 3g access? I'm a little uncertain how this works exactly. If you could post your set up for proxydroid that would be splendid . Sorry for the late response, and I really appreciate your help. Also yes my phone is rooted.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Hi sorry for the delay in replying,

You should be free to use most apps, like Wongster mentioned, the only app that I haven't gotten to work are voip apps, chat apps like whatsapp. I assume that everything is working for you, your settings are the same as what I have in AutoProxy.

Enjoy

Device(s)
    Sharp SH-09D
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

yup thats all i put in my proxydroid app... as long as ur under 2gb of data a month your fine...

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by asharx View Post
    Hi sorry for the delay in replying,

You should be free to use most apps, like Wongster mentioned, the only app that I haven't gotten to work are voip apps, chat apps like whatsapp. I assume that everything is working for you, your settings are the same as what I have in AutoProxy.

Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by WoNGsTeR View Post
    yup thats all i put in my proxydroid app... as long as ur under 2gb of data a month your fine...
    Alright then, thank you both so much for your help and time

Carrier(s)
    Petro-Canada Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

Does anyone knows how to setup the phone to enable WiFi tethering?

I would like to connect a table to my phone by wifi for example.

Thanks,

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

You should be able to, I am able to use my phone as a wifi hotspot and connect to that with my playbook.
    In order to make it work though you do have to apply the same proxy settings on your phone to the wifi connection on your tablet.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Thanks to esposition and WongSter for the question and answer! Helped this first time Canada visitor!

Feedback Score
    Hi,

Has anyone had any success setting up the APN on the Nexus 5?

The guys at Petro Mobility support gave me the same info as above, but I think I might have forgotten something somewhere in the config?

Outside of the APN, is there any other setting I need to change in order to have this working?