Thread: Which smartphone app comes closest to the iden experience in PTT ?

Feedback Score

Which smartphone app comes closest to the iden experience in PTT ?

Is there an app out there that is at least close and approaches iden for quality/response time/reliability for push to talk/walkie talkie experience in Android, Iphone, Blackberry, cross platform ?

I've heard of Zello, Voxer, Palringo and others. Views and honest experiences and opinions please. Be brutally honest. If iden is a 10 what do they rate?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Crooks)
    Feedback Score
    After having been an iDen user since 1998 I now have an iPhone on AT&T and have tried several Apps offered in the App Store for PTT and can tell you honestly nothing will ever come close to what we were used to with iDen. That being said there are two apps that can give you a sort-off Push to talk experience. First one is TikL spelled that way. I used it for a time and it was "ok" at best. I'd give it a 4 out of 10. It offers a Group feature but after some upgrades the app author put out I started experiencing glitches and frequent crashes so I dumped it. It did however work with any other smartphone ( iOS and Andriod) and I talked to friends all over the US. The 2nd app I found only recently (about a week now) is HeyTell and early evaluation is much better than TikL. It's clarity is exceptional but set-up is a little confusing initially and you have to invite friends via text message or email. It limits message length to 30 seconds which IMO isn't a bad thing cause I hate when people ramble on! And don't expect it to go back and forth anywhere near the speed of iDen. You more less press and hold speak your message and wait for the other party to do the same. It surely beats texting for short messages since I hate typing and won't text and drive! This is easy to use when driving even though I don't promote that either. It offers a group feature to purchase at $1.99 but I haven't used it and have no idea how it works. All and all I'd give this a solid 6-7 for a sudo PTT experience. RIP iDen, you'll be missed. Jim

Device(s)
    IC902&TP2&Pre
    Carrier(s)
    SPRINTNEXTEL
    Feedback Score
    Zello is a very good app.

Feedback Score
    Any others? What does Zello rate from a scale of 1 to 10 with iden obviously being a 10...

Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    voxer aint bad. even has gps location on it. id give it a 8 outta 10. voxer becomes a memory hog though the more you use it so make sure to clear out ur old convos. its also available on apples app store so you can cross platform it as long as you both have the voxer app obviously.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; Opus One Build/RBE.00.00) AppleWebKit/528.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

They all will agrivate you enough to not use it. ZELLo has familiar sounds but that's it.