Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Data usage on the Standard Plan - $80/year

Feedback Score

Data usage on the Standard Plan - $80/year

I'm about to dive into PagePlus, will be switching over 3 VZW numbers over to Page Plus. We intend not to use data much at all, but it'd be nice to google an address or phone# when we're in a bind, or check email when we really need to (maybe once in a month or 2?). We'll do the $80/yr plan for 2000 mins. What scares me is, how much $$ will be eaten up when I check a couple of emails, and do a google search.

Can anyone share their experiences in using data on the standard plan? Maybe I should keep 2 of the phones on standard, and maybe place myself on one of the other plans with data allowance...hmmm.

And with all the great advice from this forum... I will turn off the data options to the phones... and take advantage of WIFI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc2112 View Post
    I'm about to dive into PagePlus, will be switching over 3 VZW numbers over to Page Plus. We intend not to use data much at all, but it'd be nice to google an address or phone# when we're in a bind, or check email when we really need to (maybe once in a month or 2?). We'll do the $80/yr plan for 2000 mins. What scares me is, how much $$ will be eaten up when I check a couple of emails, and do a google search.

Can anyone share their experiences in using data on the standard plan? Maybe I should keep 2 of the phones on standard, and maybe place myself on one of the other plans with data allowance...hmmm.

And with all the great advice from this forum... I will turn off the data options to the phones... and take advantage of WIFI.
    "We intend not to use much data at all." Heh heh, good luck keeping that promise. Nobody buys smartphones intending to keep idle hands. You and yours might as well anticipate some 'just because' web surfing during some wait in an office or in line. Your usage projections are probably too rosy.

The $80/2000 minute plan is really for those who wants a big bucket of slow-expiring minutes. And Page Plus charges data at the Romney-rate of $1 per MB*, same as it is for the other pay-as-you-go buckets. For the $80 level, your talk rate is .04 a minute--so every 1 MB is going to cost you 25 minutes of talk time. If you were 'disciplined' enough to use average a meager 3MB a month over the course of that year, that's about 900 minutes of talk time (75 x 12) you'd be forfeiting. (And that's before you account for PPC's $0.50 monthly service fee.)

It might be wiser to experiment with the monthly plans than to commit to three $80 plans out of the box.

(*actually $0.99 a MB, but rounded up to make the math easy)
    Last edited by nwm4ever; 08-24-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: detail
    Kyocera 2135 on Verizon Prepaid
    Nokia 3585i on Simple Freedom/Alltel U Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG AX-5000 on Alltel U Prepaid/Verizon Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG 420G on Tracfone
    LG 900G on Net10
    DROID by Motorola on Page Plus Cellular
    HTC DROID Incredible 2 on Verizon
    DROID X by Motorola on Verizon
    Motorola DROID RAZR M on Verizon
    Motorola DROID TURBO 2 on Verizon (current and likely last Moto for a while )

Feedback Score
    How often do you do check a couple of emails and do a Google search? Once a day? Once a month? This of course will make all the difference.

I can tell you my experience where I need to to this 2-3 times a month - I usually spend $0.3-$0.80 each time, so my monthly data charges are $2-3/month which makes $80 card perfect choice (I also use $4-5/month worth of minutes/texts). This all depends on specific sites you go to of course - if you navigate to the website with heavy graphics and/or flash you have much more usage.

If you use Android phone I suggest rooting and installing Droidwall to ensure only applications you want would use 3G data.

Feedback Score
    Looks like it makes sense for me to at least start with one of the monthly plans that includes 100MB DATA ($30 plan looks to be the cheapest), because I may eventually want to d/l more than a couple of apps, and what about any updates (how large are update files?_, etc. And if I do root it (Motorola Droid 2), then downloading apps is almost a definite. But after apps are downloaded... I can switch to a standard plan if I find I'm hardly using data.

JoeSchmoe007, I found this website on how to root a Droid 2 (and it can be overwhelming with all the different links google comes up with):
    http://theunlockr.com/2011/10/09/how...ola-droid-2-2/

Do you recommend any particular links for a newb who's never rooted anything?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc2112 View Post
    Looks like it makes sense for me to at least start with one of the monthly plans that includes 100MB DATA ($30 plan looks to be the cheapest), because I may eventually want to d/l more than a couple of apps, and what about any updates (how large are update files?_, etc. And if I do root it (Motorola Droid 2), then downloading apps is almost a definite. But after apps are downloaded... I can switch to a standard plan if I find I'm hardly using data.

JoeSchmoe007, I found this website on how to root a Droid 2 (and it can be overwhelming with all the different links google comes up with):
    http://theunlockr.com/2011/10/09/how...ola-droid-2-2/

Do you recommend any particular links for a newb who's never rooted anything?

Thanks!
    Downloading apps is a definite even if you don't root. You can download apps when on Wi-Fi. I am not sure what updates you are talking about. I don't think there will be much if any OS updates for phone as old as Droid 2 (even though it is still perfectly capable phone). In any case OS updates can be installed via Wi-Fi as well.

As far as rooting guide you linked to - I can't comment because I own Droid Incredible. I always recommend forums specific for your phone:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-2/ (there is "All Things Root" subforum)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=738

If you are comfortable with the process you should also consider installing 3-rd party ROM (Cyanogen), it is available for your phone: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/motorola-droid-2

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwm4ever View Post
    "$80/2000 minute plan is really for those who wants a big bucket of slow-expiring minutes. And Page Plus charges data at the Romney-rate of $1 per MB*, same as it is for the other pay-as-you-go buckets. For the $80 level, your talk rate is .04 a minute--so every 1 MB is going to cost you 25 minutes of talk time. If you were 'disciplined' enough to use average a meager 3MB a month over the course of that year, that's about 900 minutes of talk time (75 x 12) you'd be forfeiting. (And that's before you account for PPC's $0.50 monthly service fee.)

It might be wiser to experiment with the monthly plans than to commit to three $80 plans out of the box.

(*actually $0.99 a MB, but rounded up to make the math easy)
    Romney-rate-- cute. But you didn't mention the Obama rate. That's the one where you get free data-- but the rest of us are billed for it each month...

Feedback Score
    My wife and i have been able to go completely without data on our phones. Just shut it off and live without it. We keep books and games to keep us occupied in waiting rooms.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Many dentist and doctor offices now also have WiFi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chasham View Post
    Romney-rate-- cute. But you didn't mention the Obama rate. That's the one where you get free data-- but the rest of us are billed for it each month...
    Oh, chasham, so sorry my figurative description chapped you. I didn't even have literal presidential politics in mind when typing that, I simply wanted to emphasize the steep data rate $1/MB was. Besides, 'Romney-rate' rolls off the tongue, and arbitrarily calling it the 'John Kerry fare' or the 'George Soros surcharge' might prove more confusing than its worth.

So...lighten the fkcu up, maybe?

Carrier(s)
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    As a not so friendly reminder let me just say this:

Stay on topic

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icebook View Post
    As a not so friendly reminder let me just say this:

Stay on topic
    Seemed like it was. Started with a political remark seems like it's going to end with one.

Back to the supposed topic.

Why would you buy a plan with no data included if you want data and expect it to cost less?

Learning how much data you need and choosing the right plan and provider for your area is the most important part of finding the best deal for you. It requires research but also usually some trial and error.
    A data manager program in each of your phones can be a great help. It will let you know how much when and which programs you are using data with. There are many free data programs.

Sent from my DROIDX using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    When PPC had 20MB on the $40/$45 plan I was using a Droid1 and kept usage under that 20MB every single month. It is possible. If you know the costs, its easy to keep your hands off and wait for WiFi.

But I left PPC to Verizon postpaid before they killed off unlimited. It was a now or never thing.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    OP, could you give us the figures for how many minutes and how many texts you are currently using at Verizon for each of the 3 phones?

I am thinking a good option for light users could be the 12 (at $12/month) which provides 250 minutes/250 text/MMS* messages/
    10 MB of Data and additional data at $.20/MB.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The 12 suggested by jgrobe might be a good choice for you. I get by with the 250 talk/texts but even if I run over by 50 of either one it's only $5 more. The data is a little tight and I never make that even though I try and use WIFI. The occasional weather report, doctor waiting room (some do have WIFI), and headline / email check keep my usage around 30-40MB. That's only $16 or so a month total which I'm pretty happy with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrobe View Post
    OP, could you give us the figures for how many minutes and how many texts you are currently using at Verizon for each of the 3 phones?

I am thinking a good option for light users could be the 12 (at $12/month) which provides 250 minutes/250 text/MMS* messages/
    10 MB of Data and additional data at $.20/MB.
    Yes, we may eventually all end up doing the $12/month plan, but since I'm going from a flip phone to a Droid 2, and my wife from a Palm Centro (which was sooo slow on data, thus almost never used for data), to a Palm Pre 2... we played it safe and we each started off with $29.95 plans to have the 100MB cushion to see how much 3G service we'd really need. Plus, we were doing some traveling for the past week, and figured it'd be nice to have 3G and not have to worry about paying overages.

If we follow our same phone habits and usage as we have for the past few years, the $12/mo plan might end up being the perfect fit. Oh, and I started off my daughter on the $12/mo plan as she doesn't have a smartphone.

Cross-fingers... so far so good, as it hasn't been a week since I ported over our 3 numbers to PP.... the savings for low volume users on PP just doesn't make sense on the new Verizon "Share" plans.... I think we'd end up paying more than twice, even if we went with all 3 flip phones paying VZW an arm and leg!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast