Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who is still using a CDMA Data phone with Telus?

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strapjock View Post
    Is it possible to activate a CDMA device in an urban area? I'm asking because I live in Richmond BC and I'm on the fringe of HSPA coverage. Only getting 1-2 bars at home where I spend half of the day and my spouse can't call me sometimes.
    I don't see why not, but I am also not Telus. I have used Telus CDMA in Richmond many years ago and mom's k1m (which is CDMA) was activated about 3 years ago (+/- 1 year) and still works (also in Richmond).
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Device(s)
    Motorola Defy
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strapjock View Post
    Is it possible to activate a CDMA device in an urban area? I'm asking because I live in Richmond BC and I'm on the fringe of HSPA coverage. Only getting 1-2 bars at home where I spend half of the day and my spouse can't call me sometimes.
    They would use the same towers. You can check something like Canadian Cell Tower Map to see if HSPA is on you local towers. There can still be dead zones. A friend bought a cell phone booster because at his house in Langley Rogers blows (Telus is fine). I bought a booster for places where the towers are far away. On the fringe I can go from no bars to four bars (a 20db gain).

Feedback Score
    my trusty little bb 8330 is still going strong since april 2008 even after dropping it on pavement, the floor, concrete etc.
    not a big talker but thousands of txt messages and lots of streaming on the unltd 15/month data plan. and oh ya... make/receive calls from the underground parkade! still have the 8530 from a contract renewal but will keep the 8330 and am in the market for selling my unused 8530 and buying another 8330
    Name:  8330.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  29.8 KB

Carrier(s)
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score
    Not sure if this is true or not

http://electrostar377.wordpress.com/...eeable-future/

Telus and Bell keeping their CDMA network – for the “foreseeable future”
    Leave a Comment Posted by Simon Tonekham on December 1, 2012
    It has been nearly three years since Bell and Telus upgraded their mobile (cell) networks into the global standard, commonly known as HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) along with HSPA+ (HSPA plus or “Evolved HSPA”). Prior to upgrading their networks, these two carriers commonly use the CDMA standard, developed by Qualcomm (one of the pioneers of mobile phone technology).

As the CDMA standard (along with 1X, CDMA2000 and EV-DO) is considered to be the “old standard” thesedays by technology analysts, many mobile phone carriers wanted to make sure that their customers can be able to use their mobile (cell) phones across the world. That’s what GSM, HSPA and LTE come into play. While the CDMA technology doesn’t use SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) cards, the worldwide GSM/HSPA/LTE uses them. Rogers AT&T (now known simply as “Rogers Wireless”) and Fido (until that company was bought out by Rogers in late-2004) were the first carriers to operate a GSM-based network back in the mid-1990s that allow customers to use their phones around the world. Now, they operate an HSPA/HSPA+/LTE network. After a wireless spectrum auction in Canada back in 2008, these companies (along with Bell, Telus, MTS and Sasktel) all provide an HSPA network to allow customers to roam freely throughout the world.

Many of the new carriers also have HSPA already equipped. An example of that is WIND Mobile, Mobilicity and Videotron (in Quebec with a few portions of Ontario – mainly in the Ottawa/Gatineau area and as far as Clarence-Rockland, Ontario, Canada). However, there’s one particular new carrier that doesn’t use the global standard and decided to get a spectrum at a very cheap price (and yes, it’s running CDMA Technology along with the so-called “G-band” spectrum) – Public Mobile.

Public Mobile offers unlimited plans in the Greater Toronto and Greater Montreal areas. It wasn’t until when a roaming agreement was since with Telus in March 2011 and Bell back in September 2011, in which that enables Public Mobile subscribers to roam their phone across Canada – but at a pay per use rate (the only way to cover the pay-per-use charges whilst outside of Public Mobile’s “Unlimited” coverage area is loading up a certain amount of money in a so-called “E-wallet”). Most recently, the new carrier has signed a roaming agreement with Sprint in the United States, in which it enables users who have Android-powered smartphones to use the Sprint cellular network – at a reasonable price (unlike the other competitiors – who basically charge like $5 ot $10CDN per MB).

Still with Bell and Telus now, and it seems that one of the issues that will keep their CDMA-powered cellular (mobile) phone network is many factors which include, but not limited to:

Roaming agreements with carriers in the United States which still operates the CDMA network (notably Verizon and Sprint in the USA. Most recently, Verizon has already made plans to shut down its 2G/3G CDMA network by 2021 as stated on this link.)
    Many areas of Canada still normally rely on CDMA networks, even though the Analog(ue) networks (technically known as AMPS, D-AMPS, etc.) have been shut down. Rogers was the first to shut down its Analog(ue) network back in mid-2007. A year later in 2008, Bell and Telus followed suit.
    Many businesses still utilise the CDMA network for many “mission-critical” applications.
    It won’t be a while until Bell and Telus will announce when the D-day will come for it’s CDMA/EVDO networks. The only thing that only will tell is – time.
    25GB Cap? DIY Telnus prepaid/Koodo unlimited EVDO internet (for $10 per 2 months, to keep account "Active"), Max 3Mbps download speed, if you roam on Bell (free), then you get non-NATed IP

mobile files is reopened - Aug 11/2010
    HoFo = censorship same as US censor wikileaks = china censor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Many businesses still utilise the CDMA network for many “mission-critical” applications.
    It won’t be a while until Bell and Telus will announce when the D-day will come for it’s CDMA/EVDO networks. The only thing that only will tell is – time.

Sierra Raven Link Modem ... Many Post Canada with 1X/EVDO Raven... you see this moden in all canada post in QC
    Many cdma aircard too ... many u.s company have unlimited data aircard ... or phone ... and ... this is cdma !

For sure for the moment they keep cdma for this reason ! too many people are on the old reliable network...

Carrier(s)
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score
    Yes I see a lot of 705 area code numbers in ota channel scan

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I am using an LG Optimus 3G ... works fine for me and I rarely exceed my 100Mb data limit, though I am checking out other options frequently (e.g. HTC ONE V).

Feedback Score
    Got a letter from telus saying the evdo is being cut. My bb 8530 should still work but have been warned of slower data speeds. A few offers on the table for replacement devicesName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1390714210.415872.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  88.2 KB

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    At my house, I can only get the HSPA...

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrokk1 View Post
    At my house, I can only get the HSPA...

Sent with the HoFo App
    Evdo will be shutdown in west... I think bell will make same thing in the east

Sent with the HoFo App
    Last edited by Guest 332; 01-28-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Do you remember the launch ...
    http://www.cellphones.ca/news/post001469/

Do you remember the 4mo plan : E-Mail, Web & Voice Plans
    lol

EVDO IN WEST RIP : 2005-2014

Feedback Score
    Just wondering if anyone is on the CDMA $15/m unlimited data and was able to keep their plan switching to HSPA/LTE because of the shutdown

And we're using a LG Optimus 3G in case anyone was curious.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by michelb View Post
    Just wondering if anyone is on the CDMA $15/m unlimited data and was able to keep their plan switching to HSPA/LTE because of the shutdown

Is not possible to keep this plan in hspa lte

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Iphones, Moto Androids
    Carrier(s)
    Telus-Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by michelb View Post

As memory serves, nobody was able to keep the $15 unlimited, ever. Sorry.

If there's interest I'll document my own fight to keep unlimited going to HSPA with aircards.I KNOW the code exists to do this one. Not too many left on the telus forum here it looks like.

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if Telus will give prepaid customers any upgrade deals just like they did when they forced out 1900 CDMA only devices years ago? (I had devices but they weren't activated so I didn't qualify). My mother likes her KRZR k1m and I don't think I can find anything that looks just like that but on UMTS for her. (i.e. clamshell, small, piano black) (even though she is a super light user).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast