Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: travel to Europe

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagerdoc View Post
    I may be wrong, it’s been a while since I asked about this situation, but I have always thought that using WiFi calling was free when calling to the US from Europe, but calling from, e.g. France to a local France number using WiFi calling would be charged as if calling from the US. Or $3 per minute.

Things may have changed, so forgive me if I’m not up to date.
    You are correct. Ever since wifi calling came about many years ago - we were "told" to think of all wifi calling as though you are calling from the U.S. (TM had wifi calling long before other carriers. I think one reason was to then compensate for their lack of solid coverage.)

I remember beta testing wifi for TM. At one point they wanted tests made from diff. connections. I the old days, many people didn't secure their wifi - so I could walk down residential streets and connect to wifi in houses as I passed by and make test calls.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    That is not correct. Here is a cut & paste from the doc 1680 in my previous post:

"When you're outside the U.S. (international roaming)

If you have an unlimited plan:

When in a Simple Global country, calls are $0.25/min for roaming (same as cellular)."

Seems pretty clear and simple to me.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    That is not correct. Here is a cut & paste from the doc 1680 in my previous post:

"When you're outside the U.S. (international roaming)

If you have an unlimited plan:

When in a Simple Global country, calls are $0.25/min for roaming (same as cellular)."

Seems pretty clear and simple to me.
    Hmmm. Never saw that before. I'll try to remember to make a test call over wifi. I'll contest the $3 charge if I get one.

Minor Error: From same Page]
    Nothing. Data usage over Wi-Fi doesn't use the T-Mobile network. We don't see it or charge for it.
    In the past have seen the free data itemized - just like you do domestically. IOW, they obvioussly "see" it.

Feedback Score
    You'll have the doc # that clarifies it if they try and charge you. I'm not sure if I have actually done it or not since there is no advantage to either cellular or WiFi. I am looking forward to trying out my Xfinity Mobile service though. It's WiFi charge is supposedly only $.05 a minute from Europe to Europe.

I use a spare phone and line as a WiFi hotspot while on day trips. I use the hotel WiFi in the morning & evenings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    I figure that if you average just 10 minutes a day of voice calling (free) will pay the $50 charge.
    Verizon charges $10 a day to use their phones in a foreign country. $50 for a month could be a huge bargain vs up to $220 for 22 days....

Feedback Score
    Not all that long ago, AT&T charged $120 for 800Mb of foreign data roaming. WTF?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drccell View Post
    Verizon charges $10 a day to use their phones in a foreign country. $50 for a month could be a huge bargain vs up to $220 for 22 days....
    Not all that long ago, AT&T charged $120 for 800Mb of foreign data roaming. WTF?
    For some US carriers, foreign roaming was long considered such a "luxury" that if you had to ask, you probably couldn't afford it. Omnipoint was the first company that had anything like reasonable roaming rates. I remember when T-Mobile first started acquiring US GSM carriers (ca 2001), there was a discussion about which roaming rates they'd apply: Voicestream, Omnipoint, Powertel, etc. I forgot how it all settled out but I ended up with Omnipoint's roaming rates. Hurrah!
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    For some US carriers, foreign roaming was long considered such a "luxury" that if you had to ask, you probably couldn't afford it. Omnipoint was the first company that had anything like reasonable roaming rates. I remember when T-Mobile first started acquiring US GSM carriers (ca 2001), there was a discussion about which roaming rates they'd apply: Voicestream, Omnipoint, Powertel, etc. I forgot how it all settled out but I ended up with Omnipoint's roaming rates. Hurrah!
    At that time I maintained an Omnipoint NYC number ($20/mo?) so I could roam cheaply overseas. Also was cheaper to use outside my home base in Ca. Became a TM customer the day they opened shop in Ca. a few years later.

Feedback Score
    I sometimes wonder how many switched to T-Mobile mostly because of the international roaming? I used a $10 added line on a relatives plan for over a year for the roaming. Finally TM caught up to the local coverage I was getting from AT&T so I moved my account to TM.

No Regrats.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I sometimes wonder how many switched to T-Mobile mostly because of the international roaming? ....
    At the time I first got GSM service, it was mostly for international roaming. Like Mike, I first experimented with NYC-based Omnipoint service but at that time there was no GSM where I lived so 99% of the time the phone was a brick. As soon as GSM service was available locally (ca. Feb '98) I signed up in the hope of having international roaming but as it turned out, DigiPH PCS never established any roaming outside North America. It wasn't until 2001 that DigiPH got bought by P'tel and then rolled up into T-Mobile and I was able to roam. (T-Mobile's international roaming manager, Lloyd Tjom, had to send me a P'tel SIM because DigiPH SIMs were never put into the roaming system.) For about 15 years we had service with two different carriers: CSpire and T-Mobile, because one worked well in the US while the other worked overseas.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I sometimes wonder how many switched to T-Mobile mostly because of the international roaming? I used a $10 added line on a relatives plan for over a year for the roaming. Finally TM caught up to the local coverage I was getting from AT&T so I moved my account to TM.

No Regrats.
    It certainly was an important consideration, given I travel internationally a fair amount. (The other was AT&T's continued false statements about discounts it would, but didn't, provide me.)

BTW, I assume that T-Mobile (or Deutsche Telekom) has been able to offer this because it has operations/affilates in a number of countries and can piggyback off of those, plus existing roaming agreements at much lower/no cost. Yes?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1G-Drew View Post
    It certainly was an important consideration, given I travel internationally a fair amount. (The other was AT&T's continued false statements about discounts it would, but didn't, provide me.)

BTW, I assume that T-Mobile (or Deutsche Telekom) has been able to offer this because it has operations/affilates in a number of countries and can piggyback off of those, plus existing roaming agreements at much lower/no cost. Yes?
    I'm not sure about that. Bear in mind TM has had int. roaming in at least 140 countries worldwide for a while, and I don't think DT had a presence in Asia, Mexico, Down Under, etc. that far back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    You are 100% correct. Have used it in 13 or 14 countries.

One more point to consider: From TM site ---
    The new 5GB International Pass includes 5GB of high-speed data to be used up to 10 days for just $35, or
    The new 15GB International Pass includes 15GB of high-speed data to be used up to 30 days for just $50.
    Or if you just need a day, you can still get the popular International Pass with up to 512 MB of high-speed data and unlimited calling for just $5 a day.
    All three data passes offer high-speed data at up to LTE speeds and unlimited calling. And, just like everything Un-carrier, there are no
    hidden fees or gotchas. You don’t have to do anything before you leave – no signing up, no calling ahead. Just add the passes you need when you arrive in the app or online. All that goodness adds up to a lot of value.

===
    We are going to put this service on one of our lines when we go to Norway, Sweden, Denmark for 22 days at end of this month. I figure that if you average just 10 minutes a day of voice calling (free) will pay the $50 charge.
    Did the same for my Europe trip 4 weeks UK, France, Germany, Poland $50.00 travel pack and I got LTE everywhere I went. Expect in Poland I would get kicked of the LTE sometimes.
    It was amazing to have unlimited calling too. It was worth every penny.

Feedback Score
    Are there any worries about the Pixel 3 having the radios to handle the overseas bands? (EU and Israel)?

I am assuming "no problem at all"

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ron6400 View Post
    Did the same for my Europe trip 4 weeks UK, France, Germany, Poland $50.00 travel pack and I got LTE everywhere I went. Expect in Poland I would get kicked of the LTE sometimes.
    It was amazing to have unlimited calling too. It was worth every penny.
    Did you try to tether another device (phone, tablet, computer)? I would like to tether wife's phone to mine. IOW, just order one "pass".

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast