Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: travel to Europe

Feedback Score
    I did find the pricing for Xfinity Mobile local European calling according to their website. They claim service to over 200 countries are included.

They state that "WiFi calls international numbers are billed at International Long Distance rates." For most of Europe that's only $.05 a minute. I hope that's true since as I've mentioned, I like to travel with a spare T-Mobile line as a hotspot providing WiFi for our group while out for the day.

This Xfiinity line is looking very promising as a world wide service if it performs as they've described. There are some warts you need to deal with, but all in all it seems to be worth the trouble to figure out.

If all goes well, I should be giving running updates while travelling on the remote possibility that anyone cares.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    But yeah, and how do they justify that $3 a minute charge to use your cell line for a call TO Europe when it's free the other direction over WiFi? I guess they think people expect it to be cheap or included without actually checking the rates.
    (Raises hand...)

Until reading this thread I had no idea that calling overseas from the US would be $3.00 per minute. I was happily assuming it was on the order of five cents like any other reasonable option.

I'll try to remember that...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
    (Raises hand...)

Until reading this thread I had no idea that calling overseas from the US would be $3.00 per minute. I was happily assuming it was on the order of five cents like any other reasonable option.

I'll try to remember that...
    It looks like they still offer stateside calling to call many countries for a flat rate of $15 per month.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/international-calling

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    It looks like they still offer stateside calling to call many countries for a flat rate of $15 per month.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/international-calling
    You should NOT have to pay THREE $ a min. for an occasional call overseas. TM does warn you, via text, after you make that call that it cost you $3/min. It happened to one person on our account a few months ago. She assumed you could call overseas as cheaply as she has done from overseas to here.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    One of my granddaughters on my account had a friend she met in college here in the US who is from England. She called him to chat one day without realizing he had gone back home for the summer. Her line is now blocked from international calling. That's how I found out about the $3 per minute rate.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    One of my granddaughters on my account had a friend she met in college here in the US who is from England. She called him to chat one day without realizing he had gone back home for the summer. Her line is now blocked from international calling. That's how I found out about the $3 per minute rate.
    If the friend had be roaming in the US, it would have cost the same. My wife once called me when I was in Japan (using a Japanese cell phone). Fortunately we only talked a few minutes. All the same, after the bill arrived, we had a discussion about the need to be aware of where you are calling. Some people are just oblivious to these details. Since it costs only pennies to call Europe using Google Voice and other methods (e.g. Skype) are free, I see no reason to even have international calling as a option on most phones, particular youngsters' phones on your account.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I don't know what the policies European carriers have in place for their customers. It is possible with him attending a US school for an extended period there is an option for using local service with the number being billed as a local number.

Anyhoo, $71 later...

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I doubt it but if I were going to school in X, I'd have a local phone account.

When I was in Indonesia, one of the local carriers automatically assigned me a temporary local phone number. I could receive calls on this number as long as I was roaming their network. This was a win-win because of CPP (Calling Party Pays) policies in most of the world. They made money, I had a local inbound number. I forwarded one of my US-based lines to that number, as it was cheaper than taking calls on my T-Mobile line.

Feedback Score
    That seems like a nice feature.

All I know is what I was told in a brief conversation so it may not be the total story. Or even the real deal.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It would be an interesting test. Go into airplane mode, turn off location services, turn on WiFi, connect to an EU-based VPN server and make an intra-EU call. Does it get billed at 25˘/min or at your international call rate?
    Joining the conversation late . . . if I'm in France, and want to call someone in France (e.g., a restaurant), just make sure it's not wifi calling, and it will be 25c/minute. And if I want to call the US (from France), then wifi calling is okay, and the call will be free (or 25c if not on Wifi) - yes, I realize I could use other data-based calling services as well, but trying to simplify things.

Feedback Score
    If you are in France calling a French number in France either WiFi or cellular calling will be billed at $.25 a minute. So there is really no advantage to one over the other unless service or call quality is an issue.

Yes, Wifi calling from France to a US number in the US is free. As is an incoming call from the US to your US phone in France as long as it is on WiFi calling.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1G-Drew View Post
    Joining the conversation late . . . if I'm in France, and want to call someone in France (e.g., a restaurant), just make sure it's not wifi calling, and it will be 25c/minute. And if I want to call the US (from France), then wifi calling is okay, and the call will be free (or 25c if not on Wifi) - yes, I realize I could use other data-based calling services as well, but trying to simplify things.
    You are 100% correct. Have used it in 13 or 14 countries.

One more point to consider: From TM site ---
    The new 5GB International Pass includes 5GB of high-speed data to be used up to 10 days for just $35, or
    The new 15GB International Pass includes 15GB of high-speed data to be used up to 30 days for just $50.
    Or if you just need a day, you can still get the popular International Pass with up to 512 MB of high-speed data and unlimited calling for just $5 a day.
    All three data passes offer high-speed data at up to LTE speeds and unlimited calling. And, just like everything Un-carrier, there are no
    hidden fees or gotchas. You don’t have to do anything before you leave – no signing up, no calling ahead. Just add the passes you need when you arrive in the app or online. All that goodness adds up to a lot of value.

===
    We are going to put this service on one of our lines when we go to Norway, Sweden, Denmark for 22 days at end of this month. I figure that if you average just 10 minutes a day of voice calling (free) will pay the $50 charge.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you are in France calling a French number in France either WiFi or cellular calling will be billed at $.25 a minute. So there is really no advantage to one over the other unless service or call quality is an issue.

Yes, Wifi calling from France to a US number in the US is free. As is an incoming call from the US to your US phone in France as long as it is on WiFi calling.
    I may be wrong, it’s been a while since I asked about this situation, but I have always thought that using WiFi calling was free when calling to the US from Europe, but calling from, e.g. France to a local France number using WiFi calling would be charged as if calling from the US. Or $3 per minute.

Things may have changed, so forgive me if I’m not up to date.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagerdoc View Post
    ....Things may have changed, so forgive me if I’m not up to date.
    I think T-.Mobile got a lot of complaints about that little complication and made an effort to fix it. But it depends on being able to know where the WiFi connection is. I've read reports of people being charged for calls from Tuvalu when they were on WiFi in Turkey.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagerdoc View Post
    I may be wrong, it’s been a while since I asked about this situation, but I have always thought that using WiFi calling was free when calling to the US from Europe, but calling from, e.g. France to a local France number using WiFi calling would be charged as if calling from the US. Or $3 per minute.

Things may have changed, so forgive me if I’m not up to date.
    This doc is not particularly well worded in my opinion, but does somewhat explain the rules.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1680

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast