Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: travel to Europe

Feedback Score

travel to Europe

Hi,

i'll be traveling to Europe. do i need to contact tmobile to disable international roaming, assuming there is such a thing? i just want to use WiFi at the hotel with talkatone for calls back to the US. i don't want to pay for roaming over gsm

thanks
    Last edited by veriztd; 07-27-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Feedback Score
    Put your phone in airplane mode or buy a local SIM and just leave yours out.

Sent from my xt862 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    You should be able to have CS block international roaming but why? Controlling the costs is easy. Just forward all incoming calls to voicemail and leave a message asking callers to text or e-mail you. Turn off your cellular data. You decide when and how to call back. Incoming texts cost no more when roaming. You stay in touch and don't run up a big bill.

For information on lower cost alternatives to T-Mobile's international roaming check out www.prepaidgsm.net
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    You should be able to have CS block international roaming but why? Controlling the costs is easy. Just forward all incoming calls to voicemail and leave a message asking callers to text or e-mail you. Turn off your cellular data. You decide when and how to call back. Incoming texts cost no more when roaming. You stay in touch and don't run up a big bill.

For information on lower cost alternatives to T-Mobile's international roaming check out www.prepaidgsm.net
    Also necessary if you're going to use alternative local prepaid cards you'll need to have your phone unlocked. T-Mobile will do this for you if you've been a subscriber for the requisite amount of time (it's either 40 or 60 days I don't recall for postpaid.)
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    If you really want to have your phone on for voice not data you can turn off international data roaming by dialing #ROF# (#763#) SEND. Note they will send you this when your data roaming hits $50. (My prepaid local SIM ran out in the middle of nowhere and I needed to bring up a map so I know)
    You can follow me on Twitter @jamssx

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On my Android phone, I make sure the box that says "data roaming" is unchecked. Always works for me.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, you can use the hotel wifi for internet. For other use you can try Skype, Imo or viber while traveling. Most of the time I buy a data SIM and use it for calling.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blameme View Post
    Yeah, you can use the hotel wifi for internet. For other use you can try Skype, Imo or viber while traveling. Most of the time I buy a data SIM and use it for calling.
    Old thread bumped

When I'm on Wi-Fi, I like to use a VPN instead of the hotel wi-fi unprotected. At least when you are using the phone cellular connection, there is some additional protection vs sharing a hotel unsecure hotspot. At least from casual monitoring.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    FWIT YVMV

Returned one month ago from 25 day trip to Holland, Belgium, France and UK.
    Did not change any settings on my S10+ while using my T-Mobile One Plus plan.
    Data in all countries was sufficient for email, texting and even surfing, albeit, a bit slow, but nevertheless doable at zero cost.
    Calls to USA were 25 cents per minute, when not able to use WiFi calling or Skype.
    I was going to get local Sims, but frankly, after the first day of travel didn't see the need to.
    Depending on where you travel roaming might be an issue. Check the T-Mobile website for the 200+ countries where roaming is not an issue.

Feedback Score
    I agree, but there are some other plans available that are very reasonable also. I'm going to Russia next month and through a service called FlexiRoam I have a data plan with 3Gb good for 8 days which only costs $7.50 total. I'm then going to visit Europe, and with the same company am getting 1Gb for 8 days for $5.40 total. I opted for less data because I'll be on a cruise ship for part of that second 8 days, and will have their WiFi also. The trick is you need to purchase it over 90 days in advance. I've used them for the past several years and they are reputable and the carriers they use have good coverage & speeds.
    Last edited by daleraver; 07-28-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    TM pricing for fast internet intl.

International data roaming global passes provide an international high-speed data connection and unlimited voice calling for countries listed in the Simple Global Country List. Available in 512MB, 5GB, and 15GB allotments
    Voice 512 MB 1-day pass $5
    Voice 5GB 10-day pass $35
    Voice 15GB 30-day pass $50
    What included:
    High-speed data while roaming outside North America.
    Unlimited $0 calling from Simple Global to Simple Global countries Includes Smartphone Mobile Hotspot access up to data pass allotment.

For our next trip (longer than usual) 22 days we'll get the 30 day plan and tether wife's phone and laptop etc. to my phone when not on wifi.
    I think tethering only available on $50 plan but not sure.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Might be a little off topic -
    Can you stream U.S. radio stations via wifi when overseas? I don't think you can play Pandora. OTH, I recall, when in China, not being blocked from various sites usually not open to Chinese.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    Might be a little off topic -
    Can you stream U.S. radio stations via wifi when overseas? I don't think you can play Pandora. OTH, I recall, when in China, not being blocked from various sites usually not open to Chinese.
    When you are connected through the international roaming they actually tunnel your traffic back to the US. On my last trip, I had a tourist sim with a EU IP and could not access some services. ESPN was the one I was wanting to use. Not sure about Pandora, cant recall if I tried it. I listen to soma.fm most of the time.

A day pass on TMO got me going, but video will use it up fast.

Feedback Score
    I've been able to use Pandora from cruise ships (Paid WiFi Access) in the middle of the Atlantic & Pacific Oceans, but I don't recall if it was available in foreign countries via cellular ONE Plus access.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonman89 View Post
    FWIT YVMV

Returned one month ago from 25 day trip to Holland, Belgium, France and UK.
    Did not change any settings on my S10+ while using my T-Mobile One Plus plan.
    Data in all countries was sufficient for email, texting and even surfing, albeit, a bit slow, but nevertheless doable at zero cost.
    Calls to USA were 25 cents per minute, when not able to use WiFi calling or Skype.
    I was going to get local Sims, but frankly, after the first day of travel didn't see the need to.
    Depending on where you travel roaming might be an issue. Check the T-Mobile website for the 200+ countries where roaming is not an issue.
    So wifi calling using T Mobile sim from those European countries to the USA was not charged for?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast