Thread: Noob Guide for Flashing Your Carrier's FW to Your Lumia 710 (Mobi/WIND/Rogers)

Device(s)
    Blackberry KEYone, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score

Noob Guide for Flashing Your Carrier's FW to Your Lumia 710 (Mobi/WIND/Rogers)

I literally just spent the past 3.5 hours trying to figure out how to flash my Rogers Lumia 710 to the Mobilicity FW. And since there was a LOT of trial and error, I thought I’d save people the time and trouble and listed the procedure in baby steps. Although not tested, I would assume flashing WIND’s FW (or flashing Rogers FW onto an originally Mobi/WIND Lumia 710) utilizes the same steps (but of course with WIND’s FW file).

Keep in mind, the steps I'll be outlining below are from my netbook (running Windows 7 Starter) through my own trial and error, and may be slightly different from where files are stored on your CPU.

So first off, you'll need a PC (can't be a Mac). Download the Nokia Care Suite (NCS) through the following website:
    http://www.seidea.com/2012/06/02/nokia-care-suite-5-0/. Make sure you have your phone's unlock code as flashing the FW will relock your phone!

If before/during installing of NCS there's a pop up window asking you to download 2 additional programs, copy and paste the link listed and install them.

*After you install the program, if you see "(empty)" in the Start Menu->All Programs->Nokia->Nokia Care Suite 5.0, don't fret, just go into My Computer->C Drive->Program Files->Nokia->Nokia Care Suite->Product Support Tool For Store 5.0->ProductSupportToolForStore to launch the program again.*

For me, when I plugged in my phone into my netbook, the netbook did not recognize it, but just follow the steps below:

1. Keep the top left drop down menu as “No connection”
    2. Go to File->Open Product->RM-809 (Nokia Lumia 710) (Rogers is RM-809 as well, and WIND is RM-803)
    3. Under “Programming”, select “Recovery”
    4. Hit “”Find online…”
    5. Search “Mobilicity” (or WIND/Rogers, depending on which carrier’s FW you need). Once found, select that option and download the file
    6. After download finishes, hit “Start”
    7. Wait a little bit and it will show a pop up screen and should prompt you to disconnect the device. Follow the pop up screen instructions

*if you can’t get past the launching into Recovery Mode stage (keep getting the same pop up message telling you how to get into Recovery Mode), go to My Computer->C Drive->Program Files->Nokia->Nokia Care Suite->Drivers, and install Nokia_Mobile_Phone_Driver and WinUSB Drivers x86 (the 2 files I installed for my Windows version). If necessary, you can also install the NOKIA_USB_Driver file. By installing these drivers, my network was finally able to recognize my Lumia 710.

8. Once all that is done, you should either be able to flash the desired carrier’s FW no problem, or be able to get into Recovery Mode to flash the FW that way.

Hope this guide helps people. Again, this was the way I was able to do it. May be different for everyone. If someone gets stuck along the way and another forum member can chip in, by all means go for it.

Now that I’m on Mobilicity's FW, Internet Sharing FINALLY works!
    Happy flashing folks~!
    Last edited by ECBomb; 07-27-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: missed information

Carrier(s)
    Wind Canada
    Feedback Score
    was your phone locked back to Rogers after flashing your phone?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes it was. Forgot to mention that. I'll add it back in~ thanks for the reminder!

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Wind is 809 as well BTW.
    Last edited by migo; 07-28-2012 at 03:15 AM.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Wind is 809 as well BTW.
    Really? I searched up WIND in 803 and it came up...weird...and I can't edit my OP b/c I'm past the 1440 minutes limit.

Did you end up updating your Lumia 710 migo? Did Internet Sharing work?

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, updated and everything works fine with the Wind firmware, only problem is all the apps I paid for are now trials. I'm glad that's a grand total of 2, plus Monster Up that I got when it was a free promo, but it's pretty annoying and concerns me about a potential WP8 upgrade path.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So when you updated the Rogers one, Internet Sharing wasn't working? Or you went straight for the WIND FW?

And I'm sure what you bought/downloaded during a free promo should still be downloadable. I got gMaps Pro for free and I was able to redownload after I flashed the Mobi FW. The annoying thing about WP7 is that the Marketplace doesn't indicate which apps were bought, so you need to make a list of it on your own.

If you know you bought an app, hit the "buy" button again, and it should have a pop up message saying that you've already purchased the app previously, and will tell you to go ahead and download again. Android and iOS is better when it comes to purchased app history, that's for sure.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Ah, thanks. I was reluctant to press buy as I didn't want to have to deal with the hassles of getting charges reversed.
    Sent from my Lumia 710 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Carrier(s)
    Wind Canada
    Feedback Score
    hey @ECbomb, i've downloaded the nokia suite and then the Wind firmware from Nokia Suite but i get stuck at step number six 6. I press Start and i keep getting this message with pictures to unplug the usb cable, then switch off the phone, then hold the volume up button, then plug the usb back into the phone and then click Retry. And then i click retry i keep getting this same message to do this again and again.
    i cannot figure out what i'm doing wrong.
    I have the Rogers Lumia 710, unlocked using it on Wind.
    Any clue what could be wrong?
    Really appreciate it.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    i would suspect there's another driver you need to install
    Sent from my Lumia 710 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmhere View Post
    hey @ECbomb, i've downloaded the nokia suite and then the Wind firmware from Nokia Suite but i get stuck at step number six 6. I press Start and i keep getting this message with pictures to unplug the usb cable, then switch off the phone, then hold the volume up button, then plug the usb back into the phone and then click Retry. And then i click retry i keep getting this same message to do this again and again.
    i cannot figure out what i'm doing wrong.
    I have the Rogers Lumia 710, unlocked using it on Wind.
    Any clue what could be wrong?
    Really appreciate it.
    Just as migo said, I suspect you are still missing a driver. Look at the bolded part right under step 7 and that should get you past that part.

Remember though this will relock your phone. So make sure you have your unlock code before you flash the WIND firmware!

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Freedom Mobile Promo Everywhere 50
    8gb LTE data/Canada & US Calling &Roaming/Global SMS/Call Display/Voicemail

Feedback Score
    Anyone can share how they unlocked their Wind Lumia 710? Where to find unlock codes or procedures?
    TIA

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thegradas View Post
    Anyone can share how they unlocked their Wind Lumia 710? Where to find unlock codes or procedures?
    TIA
    The cheapest I've seen for the Lumia 710 (Rogers version) has been $15. Not sure about WIND.

If you're adventurous enough or just don't want to pay the $15, you could try this guide:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1721355

Device(s)
    Primary/Corp: Rogers unl. BB 9000 (Telstra 5.0.0.771)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility,
    Feedback Score
    If anyone is looking for an unbranded firmware for the Lumia 710, choose RM-803 from the Open Product menu and search for "Pakistan" in the variant field. Tried and confirmed that it's totally unbranded. This firmware still worked fine for my RM-809 (Rogers).
    My Heatware

My HoFo Feedbacks

My Rig:
    i7 930, Zalman 9500AT, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB Corsair Kit, 120GB Vertex + 2TB + 500GB + 250GB, MSI R5770, LG WH08LS20 & BenQ DW1655, Dell 3007WFP-HC, Scythe YD-8V08, Antec 902, PC P&C Quad 750 Red, Win7 Ult. x64

HTPC:
    6000+, GA-MA78GM-S2H, 8GB, V-Rap150+2x250GB, LG HD-DVD/BD-ROM, Antec Solo, OCZ Z650W.

Past Phone Algebra:
    N5190, 6190, 8390, 6610 && x є {Moto V600, SE T637, 6600}, 6230i && x є {LG 2000, T610}, 6131, E50, 6300b, 6233, E51

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by waqqas31 View Post
    If anyone is looking for an unbranded firmware for the Lumia 710, choose RM-803 from the Open Product menu and search for "Pakistan" in the variant field. Tried and confirmed that it's totally unbranded. This firmware still worked fine for my RM-809 (Rogers).
    I wouldn't recommend that. The RM-803 is a different piece of hardware. If the difference was only software, the RM code would still be the same. From what I see, the RM-803 supports different frequencies/lacks certain frequencies. Was it Mobilicity that it still worked on?