Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Ideas on how to keep my unlimited data plan and still get a new phone with an upgrade

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0

    Ideas on how to keep my unlimited data plan and still get a new phone with an upgrade

    I am of those lucky few who have an smartphone unlimited data plan. I am in contract until next June with my upgrade in February. When I first heard of Verizon forcing everyone out of their unlimited data plan, I began to plan to port out next summer to a prepaid carrier with serious interest in Virgin Mobile and Boost. While the price seems quite right but my research has determined that the Verizon coverage (not to mention LTE) is beyond comparison. My question is if I throw a fit and threaten to walk, do I stand a chance in keeping it? I am currently a AT&T CSR and this does work there; I am just wondering if the same tactics can be used with Verizon.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,993
    Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
    My question is if I throw a fit and threaten to walk, do I stand a chance in keeping it?
    No, you'll just confirm what they all think of you.

    And I doubt AT&T would allow it either, once they switch over.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,064
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'd wait until February to start worrying about it. By then, who knows what adjustments Verizon may have made?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3008
    Posts
    5,234
    Device(s)
    A phone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    No, you'll just confirm what they all think of you.

    And I doubt AT&T would allow it either, once they switch over.
    Exactly. Providing a good laugh on the way

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    312
    Feedback Score
    0
    Interesting that am ATT employee would consider virgin or boost before ATT.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,498
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you are on a family share plan, you can do an alternate upgrade on one of your other lines to get a subsidized smartphone and put it on your line. The line whose upgrade you are using would need to sign up for a tiered data plan, but then you can switch to a feature phone and drop the data plan. That's the only way you will be able to keep unlimited AND get a subsidized upgrade.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,949
    Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    Anyone want to explain how this works?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Verizon-...#ht_661wt_1189

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,114
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    Anyone want to explain how this works?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Verizon-...#ht_661wt_1189
    Probably magic, with a little bit of trickery sprinkled in there

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    202
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesstarks15 View Post
    Interesting that am ATT employee would consider virgin or boost before ATT.
    What's wrong with that? VM and Boost have far better rates

    Sent from my Triumph using HowardForums

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    312
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcollector View Post
    What's wrong with that? VM and Boost have far better rates

    Sent from my Triumph using HowardForums
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Virgin and Boost had better rates than VZW before you signed up with them, right? Under that assumption, you chose VZW for coverage/phone selection/speed, etc....

    ATT wouldn't be worth it to you, but VZW was?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    202
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesstarks15 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Virgin and Boost had better rates than VZW before you signed up with them, right? Under that assumption, you chose VZW for coverage/phone selection/speed, etc....

    ATT wouldn't be worth it to you, but VZW was?
    I'm not the OP LOL

    Sent from my Triumph using HowardForums

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,949
    Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    back to topic; Is the eBay person selling their right to upgrade?

    Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    312
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcollector View Post
    I'm not the OP LOL

    Sent from my Triumph using HowardForums


    true that my fault ha

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    If you are on a family share plan, you can do an alternate upgrade on one of your other lines to get a subsidized smartphone and put it on your line. The line whose upgrade you are using would need to sign up for a tiered data plan, but then you can switch to a feature phone and drop the data plan. That's the only way you will be able to keep unlimited AND get a subsidized upgrade.
    I may consider doing that because my Dad is probably never going to upgrade his phone. And if his phone does indeed break down, I will just buy him a prepaid phone and activate it. He is still refusing to get a smartphone. Also, on the plus side I just found out that one of my buddies just became a Verizon store rep, so I may need to use that connection.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesstarks15 View Post
    Interesting that am ATT employee would consider virgin or boost before ATT.
    I am a CSR, not a salesman. I do not defend AT&T. Honestly I think they nickle and dime customers more than the average customer. And when a customer calls me out on that, I usually just credit them to get them off of the phone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 07:23 PM
  2. Can I keep my $25 VM plan if I get a new phone?
    By Khabibul35 in forum Virgin Mobile USA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 09:20 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
  4. How is the $40 unlimited data plan?
    By migo in forum Mobilicity
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 04:28 PM
  5. How much is an unlimited data plan for using DUN/EVDO?
    By sofakng in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks