Thread: 3G Data Speed on Petro Canada

Feedback Score

3G Data Speed on Petro Canada

I am thinking of switching from Fido prepaid to Petro Canada. 3G data on an unlocked ATT iPhone 3GS was good, not great, but acceptable with Fido using their 60MB data packs. Since Fido, Rogers and PC share the same Rogers network, should I expect my data speed to be similar, or does Rogers throttle data for PC users?

Are there any caveats to the $8/month unlimited data add-on - will it browse websites, run apps and email on a iPhone 3GS?

Feedback Score
    data speek on petroc is good. it is port80 or web browsing only unless you are on a Android and install iptables and some proxy server like proxydroid. the only application that won't work on the android is google talk that I know of. when it comes to tethering you get browser only and need to set up proxy settings in the operating system of the PC.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
    I am thinking of switching from Fido prepaid to Petro Canada. 3G data on an unlocked ATT iPhone 3GS was good, not great, but acceptable with Fido using their 60MB data packs. Since Fido, Rogers and PC share the same Rogers network, should I expect my data speed to be similar, or does Rogers throttle data for PC users?

Are there any caveats to the $8/month unlimited data add-on - will it browse websites, run apps and email on a iPhone 3GS?
    Everyone keeps referring it to it as unlimited data, it is not unlimited data! It is unlimited SURFING, they are restricting it to port 80, surfing only. With an iphone, you will only be able to surf, nothing else will work (I think someone said gmail works, but pretty much NO APPS will work). There is a work around if you own an rooted android phone / tablet as you can install an autoproxy to route EVERYTHING through port 80. iphone users are pretty much screwed, so do NOT switch if you own an iphone.

Feedback Score
    yoprules
    >>>With an iphone, you will only be able to surf, nothing else will work

text+, youtube, better webmail gives you a logged in webmail experience, so there are a number of apps that will work.

>>>There is a work around if you own an rooted android phone / tablet

yes the only thing that I have found that doesn't work is g00gle talk.

Carrier(s)
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score
    Is there plans for LTE in Petro? thanks
    25GB Cap? DIY Telnus prepaid/Koodo unlimited EVDO internet (for $10 per 2 months, to keep account "Active"), Max 3Mbps download speed, if you roam on Bell (free), then you get non-NATed IP

mobile files is reopened - Aug 11/2010
    HoFo = censorship same as US censor wikileaks = china censor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    you can't have access to lte ... tested with different simcard with speakout and petro canada ...
    just to clarify about the unlimited ... :
    in their tos ... unlimited browsing is 2GB per month max ...
    have updated their tos the 22 june 2012...

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 gigs for $8 of surfing (or ... *cough* any apps on android) is still pretty cheap compared to the other BIG 3 carriers

Feedback Score
    @cedqc418
    >>>in their tos ... unlimited browsing is 2GB per month max ...

could you provide a URL to the page where you read that.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Here is the link.

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/221.aspx

Unlimited Web Browsing Fair Usage

The unlimited web browsing fair usage policy exists to ensure all customers enjoy optimal data usage on the network. Petro-Canada Mobility reserves the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred and to deny or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone Petro-Canada Mobility believes is using the Petro-Canada Mobility unlimited web browsing Service in any manner prohibited above or whose usage exceeds 2GB per month. Petro-Canada Mobility may attempt to notify you by text message advising of the application of the Fair Usage Policy. If we determine that you are using the Service in violation of the Petro-Canada Mobility Terms and Conditions of Service then we may terminate individual calls, data connections, unlimited web browsing or completely terminate your Service, decline to renew your Service, or offer you a different Service plan. If your service is terminated due to violation of this policy, you may forfeit any unused balances including minutes, text and/or data.